Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Bermuda ends Gay Marriage...

Default Bermuda ends Gay Marriage...

Civil Unions still in effect.

Default Re: Bermuda ends Gay Marriage...

If Bermuda were smart, they would be much more worried about climate change than about gay marriage.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    If Bermuda were smart, they would be much more worried about climate change than about gay marriage.
    I guess it's not!

there was fear that if the issue went to a vote among the population Civil Unions would be abolished as well, so this compromise was reached... seems to be a well reasoned and fact based approach to a typically extremist issue.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    I guess it's not!
    it's not ... Fanatical and Hysterical over the issue? Seems that Bermuda has taken a consensus building approach avoiding extremist and un-proven un-tested social engineering.

From your perspective I'm sure it was Daniel. Look among all species, ten percent are gay, any species. We are no different even though we are supposed to be superior to every living creature. Who wins, health insurance companies account for a lot, death benefits are right up there, pulling the plug on someone they love denied. There's more here, my consequences that meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    there was fear that if the issue went to a vote among the population Civil Unions would be abolished as well, so this compromise was reached... seems to be a well reasoned and fact based approach to a typically extremist issue.
    I would laugh, but I know you believe this silliness. Don't fear. There are no gays stalking you. They can do better.

I would laugh, but I know you believe this silliness. Don't fear. There are no gays stalking you. They can do better.
    Be careful Daniel, it's obvious they want your body because you're such a hunk!

From your perspective I'm sure it was Daniel. Look among all species, ten percent are gay, any species. We are no different even though we are supposed to be superior to every living creature. Who wins, health insurance companies account for a lot, death benefits are right up there, pulling the plug on someone they love denied. There's more here, my consequences that meets the eye.
    it just makes some people nervous when the Government starts telling people how they legally must celebrate and encourage others unusual sexual proclivities... just very strange... and not supposed to be the per-view of governments in a free society.

Sounds like Bermuda got it about right on this issue.

From the Bermudan government web site.
    The rights now guaranteed under the Domestic Partnership Act include: the right to inherit in the case of no will, the right to a partner’s pension(s), access to property rights, the right to make medical decisions on behalf of one’s partner and the right to live and work in Bermuda as the domestic partner of a Bermudian.While the majority of Bermudians do not agree with same-sex marriage – as evidenced by the referendum – it is the Government’s belief that this Act addresses this position while also complying with the European Courts by ensuring that recognition and protection for same sex couples are put in place.
    The Act is intended to strike a fair balance between two currently irreconcilable groups in Bermuda, by restating that marriage must be between a male and a female while at the same time recognising and protecting the rights of same-sex couples.
    Noisy should emigrate there, he would fit right in.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The Act is intended to strike a fair balance between two currently irreconcilable groups in Bermuda, by restating that marriage must be between a male and a female while at the same time recognising and protecting the rights of same-sex couples.

"fair and balanced" ... sounds great!

Bet I'd fit right in.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Why don't you sail your dory there and visit?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    He has a boat? Oh my, I learn something new every day!

tempting!

Daniel, should talk to Chaney, he had a lot to say about gays, mostly negative of course, before his daughter came out of the closet. Amazing how something like that should change his mind!

Bet I'd fit right in.
    as a closeted conservative homosexual?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Nice pictures Daniel. I've been out cutting firewood all day and would love to just lay back in that lovely warm water. I haven't been down in the Caribbean in 45 years, but when I look at those pics I can still feel it.

Ahem!!!!

Bermuda is not in the Caribbean.......

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Nice pictures Daniel. I've been out cutting firewood all day and would love to just lay back in that lovely warm water. I haven't been down in the Caribbean in 45 years, but when I look at those pics I can still feel it.
    Looks a lot nicer without gays though! Not sure how one recognizes them but, I guess he knows.

it's not ... Fanatical and Hysterical over the issue? Seems that Bermuda has taken a consensus building approach avoiding extremist and un-proven un-tested social engineering.

Its hardly un proven and un tested social engineering. New Zealand has had gay marriage for years, the sky has yet to fall on our heads, the children seem happy and well adjusted, they're not bullied in school or discriminated against, same with the parents with their employment. Its not been an issue at all apart from one fundamentalist evangelical group who's gradually losing both credibility and membership over this and similar issues.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Why are people afraid of gays? Why is the word 'marriage' so revered?

I can't speak for other countries, but here, marriage is a legal contract: The state issues the license and the certificate. The state empowers the clergy to perform the ceremony, and the state grants the divorce if the marriage doesn't work out.

As long as the marriage is between two consenting adults, why does anyone else care?
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

As long as the marriage is between two consenting adults, why does anyone else care?
    No one should care. Including the state. The state should not be in the marriage business. Its between two people --and if they so desire, a spirtual or religious organization. But Big Brother? No reason for him to be invited at all.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Perhaps he could take Lindsay Graham with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    No one should care. Including the state. The state should not be in the marriage business. Its between two people --and if they so desire, a spirtual or religious organization. But Big Brother? No reason for him to be invited at all.

Kevin
    Nice thought but things like medical end of life medical choices, health and retirement benefits, ability to adopt, the states are firmly in the middle.

it just makes some people nervous when the Government starts telling people how they legally must celebrate and encourage others unusual sexual proclivities... just very strange...
    Daniel, here is a lesson for you, both English and logic. It's not about how people "must" do anything. It's about what they "can" do. You will never understand it because it doesn't fit your assumptions, but that's what gay marriage is about.

I still think Daniel has a secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I don't get it. Why have marriage? Everyone should be able to get a civil union, even if only for financial purposes. Marriage is so encrusted with possession and dominance that it's the problem here.

Abolish civil marriage.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

it just makes some people nervous when the Government starts telling people how they legally must celebrate and encourage others unusual sexual proclivities...
    There is a government somewhere where people 'must legally celebrate and encourage others unusual sexual proclivities'?

I am sure that you're not a liar, Daniel, so will you please identify this government you speak of?
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

it just makes some people nervous when the Government starts telling people how they legally must celebrate and encourage others unusual sexual proclivities... just very strange... and not supposed to be the per-view of governments in a free society.
    Nevermind Bermuda, Dan, a question for you much closer to home.

Same sex marriage has been the law along the north shore of Massachusetts for quite some time now. Can you explain to us how this has affected you personally? Do you feel that you are being encouraged act out any unusual sexual proclivities? (Yes or no will suffice, you do not have to go into detail.)

Exactly how are you being coerced into doing anything that you do not wish?
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    I don't get it. Why have marriage? Everyone should be able to get a civil union, even if only for financial purposes. Marriage is so encrusted with possession and dominance that it's the problem here.

Abolish civil marriage.
    that would be a simple solution which all sides should be OK with... but, which usually draws criticism from Gay Marriage proponents...

like we've said this issue draws extremists like a moths to a flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    There is a government somewhere where people 'must legally celebrate and encourage others unusual sexual proclivities'?

I am sure that you're not a liar, Daniel, so will you please identify this government you speak of?
    Obama administration justice Department... trained their sights on a couple Bakers on the Left Coast... talk about creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    Nevermind Bermuda, Dan, a question for you much closer to home.

Same sex marriage has been the law along the north shore of Massachusetts for quite some time now. Can you explain to us how this has affected you personally? Do you feel that you are being encouraged act out any unusual sexual proclivities? (Yes or no will suffice, you do not have to go into detail.)

Exactly how are you being coerced into doing anything that you do not wish?
    I've wondered that. Maybe he should come to VT. We've got men marrying men, men marrying women, women marrying women, & women marrying men. We even have people not getting married! All that and a Republican governor.

The sky is still over our heads too.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Obama administration justice Department... trained their sights on a couple Bakers on the Left Coast... talk about creepy.

BS, Daniel loves BS, Where is his proof? Some rednenck site? You should know by now that your BS needs proof of the reputable kind Daniel, not something that your buddy, Rush lingbag spread around. Lot's of noise from the right!

10% of all species are gay? Do you have any credible substantiation for those numbers ?

Quote Originally Posted by cbcc View Post
    10% of all species are gay? Do you have any credible substantiation for those numbers ?
    They don't know it and unlike people like Daniel, they don't care!You can look it up!