Thread: Canvas replacement on W/C canoe

Default Canvas replacement on W/C canoe

Would y'all have interest in this? I'm about to do this on my 15 ft one off. They do this all the time on the WCHA site but I don't see it here much because everrrrrryone wants to build strip canoes! ( been there done that 7xs).

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Canvas replacement on W/C canoe

Do post. Folks who buy wood and canvas boats seem to have an issue with the canvas work. It's fun and not intimidating as it seems.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Do post. Folks who buy wood and canvas boats seem to have an issue with the canvas work. It's fun and not intimidating as it seems.
    Thanks Canoez! I finally pulled her out from the side of the basement and have her between the old chimney and table saw where she just fits!

Without canvas filler and paint she's as light as a Kevlar canoe! I'm going to re-outfit her to as a tamden canoe instead of solo

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

One off (outrail) the one off! 18 years ago I was being a smart alec and we made the out rails very very slim. Now I'm finding out what a mistake that may have been. duh! They're very very fragile but this one came off even though the very center is ready to break. (Honduras mahogany)

A lot of people don't realize on W/C canoes, the out rails have a rabbet to allow for the planking & canvas. The out-rail actually clamps canvas to the planking.
    Pic 1 showing the rabbet, #2 first oops! Small piece split off the in-rail. #3 shows how straight planks are tapered and gored to come together and make up for the rise in the stem. 4&5 why I almost always use phillips screw heads even though the slotted screws look nice running with the grain. Quick and careful with a drill bit and it had usually pops off without any danger to the surrounding wood but it can go wrong very quickly lol thank goodness for sharp drill bits and very slow cordless drills.

Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-12-2018 at 12:08 AM.

More soon!

Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-12-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Fun project. What are you going to do for filler on the canvas?
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Fun project. What are you going to do for filler on the canvas?
    I'll probably use traditional filler. although I'm waffling between that and latex compound that they use on canvas pipe insulation covering. it's getting pretty good reviews by some of the non-traditionalist types

Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-12-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    More soon!

What, exactly are we looking at here? I see the fasteners, but am trying to orient myself a bit.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    What, exactly are we looking at here? I see the fasteners, but am trying to orient myself a bit.
    Out-rail screw, only one so far. "why I almost always use phillips screw heads even though the slotted screws look nice running with the grain. Quick and careful with a drill bit and the head usually pops off without any danger to the surrounding wood but it can go wrong very quickly lol"

on my desk top, gad! the close ups are scary close! LOL I'll try to not copy the photos on every reply .. it can confuse things.
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-12-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Out-rail screw, only one so far. "why I almost always use phillips screw heads even though the slotted screws look nice running with the grain. Quick and careful with a drill bit and the head usually pops off without any danger to the surrounding wood but it can go wrong very quickly lol"

on my desk top, gad! the close ups are scary close! LOL I'll try to not copy the photos on every reply .. it can confuse things.
    A set of Alden Grab-Its are your friend in that situation as well. (No personal interest, yadda, yadda - they just do a good job.)
    -William A. Ward

tools... gad i'm swimming in tools. Rail screws are pretty low on trouble. Oh you should see the cool tools I got for when we rebuilt the front of my truck.!

There was these 12 point head pinch bolts on the upper ball joints.

tools... gad i'm swimming in tools. Rail screws are pretty low on trouble. Oh you should see the cool tools I got for when we rebuilt the front of my truck.!

There was these 12 point head pinch bolts on the upper ball joints.
    Not a whole lot going on, all the old canvas off, only a couple small spots the fix on the planking at the rail. Rolled out the new canvas you never quite know if it's long enough until you actually do that, fortunately it is and then some. Going to go with traditional filler, you knew I would! LOL