Thread: Moth Plans

Default Moth Plans

Some time ago I was looking for Moth plans and I couldn't come up with anything. As the internet universe expands, information availability changes, so maybe at the time there was nothing up--here is a link someone sent me on FB today.

https://earwigoagin.blogspot.com/201...plans.html?m=1

http://www.mothboat.com/
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Default Re: Moth Plans

I literally could not give one away(built in 1948) that was given to me. A number of people on Classic MB have built them.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Rod Mincher, whose blog is Earwegoagin, use to post on here as "pamincher". I haven't noticed him posting in a while.

Many years ago when I first looked at his blog I noticed that we both sailed on the same 700 acre lake near Oxford, Ohio back in the 1960's although I didn't know him. I live nearby still sail there today (MC scow, Y-flyer, Buccaneer 18 and starting this spring a Farr 740 Sport). Small world.

Mike,

Hueston Woods. Remember it well. A long, narrow lake that never seemed to be aligned to the prevailing wind. We always were beating on very short legs across the width. Good times as I was in college. Kurt Finnie and I got the Miami University Sailing Team off the ground and we were able to get some Flying Juniors down at the Park ramp. I did some Snipe sailing with Charlie Wright (if I remember correctly) and did a 470 Midwinters with him as well.

RLM

The Miami U Sailing Team uses 420's now although there doesn't seem to be all that much activity. What has really taken off is rowing. There is now a large building that houses their boats. They hold regattas several times over the summer and it isn't uncommon to see a dozen shells out on the lake. The sailing association is still active, mostly with Y-flyers and Sunfish. The Snipes, Rhodes Bantams and Windmills are all gone, some dock space goes unused most years. Sailing on the lake went into a rapid decline in the seventies when they built Brookville Lake (water surface of 8.2 square miles) just over the border in Indiana. People went there because you could overnight on your boat (unlike Ohio lakes) and it was the height of the trailer sailer revolution (MacGregor, Catalina etc.).

I know what you mean by long and narrow, like most Ohio lakes it is just a flooded creek used for flood control of the Ohio River. I had an E scow over on Cowan Lake for many years and on occasion we would take it to Hueston Woods. We would barely get our sails set before we would have to tack again or run up the other shore. We use to laugh about needing high speed bearings in our masthead wind direction indicators.

http://www.row2k.com/teams/Miami_OH/

Mike

A Classic Moth Regatta in France

David Balkwill just announced a Classic Moth Regatta in France, early September.

" an event for Moths at SucÚ sur Erdre in France 7 - 9 September. Just one week after the Classic boat and Jazz festival on the Erdre river. We did this before in 2005 with a big fleet of Classic Moths, and three International and two British Moths came to join in.

More information as it becomes available.

RLM