Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 67 of 67

Thread: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

  1. #36
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Whangarei Northland New Zealand
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Well those folks have no corner on 'Dumb'. A very long time ago I and a couple of friends ,none of us had more than lunch money, attempted to buy a very cheap,very worn out timber sloop . We were dumb enough to think we could pull it off ,but bright enough to hire a surveyor .Knowing we knew just about nothing ..,We arranged to take the boat for the survey with I think 200 USD down payment
    We left from Baltimore and sailed in some pretty fresh conditions to the other end of the Chesapeake Bay ,Crisfield Maryland for the haul out. The sloop was hauled and the surveyor arrived .He sat in his truck looking at the boat and said
    "Fellows if I don't have to get out of my truck I'll only charge you for road miles"
    he must have felt sorry for us . and proceeded to explain what he could see from 20 yards ,What he pointed out wasn't pretty. Anyway he did get out and walked over to the boat and started picking at the joint of the iron keel to the timber keel ... On careful examination one could see different strata of colors of paint and putty filling in the ever increasing gap ..... He pointed out that was because the steel keel bolts were wasp wasted and stretching.. He said he would try to get our deposit back for us .He insisted that we hand over all the sails .....which we did.
    He then said , pick a very calm day ,tow a dingy astern and motor back where you came from. Which we did , He met us later returned the sails got ,with some difficulty got the deposit returned,, We were somewhat more careful with the next adventure .. Most likely he saved us from an event such as are we are now discussing .
    He wrote a long letter describing the boat and a warning..........
    He refused to take any money ,A prince of a man whom I will never forget..

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    23,659

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by len hornick View Post
    Well those folks have no corner on 'Dumb'. A very long time ago I and a couple of friends ,none of us had more than lunch money, attempted to buy a very cheap,very worn out timber sloop . We were dumb enough to think we could pull it off ,but bright enough to hire a surveyor .Knowing we knew just about nothing ..,We arranged to take the boat for the survey with I think 200 USD down payment
    We left from Baltimore and sailed in some pretty fresh conditions to the other end of the Chesapeake Bay ,Crisfield Maryland for the haul out. The sloop was hauled and the surveyor arrived .He sat in his truck looking at the boat and said
    "Fellows if I don't have to get out of my truck I'll only charge you for road miles"
    he must have felt sorry for us . and proceeded to explain what he could see from 20 yards ,What he pointed out wasn't pretty. Anyway he did get out and walked over to the boat and started picking at the joint of the iron keel to the timber keel ... On careful examination one could see different strata of colors of paint and putty filling in the ever increasing gap ..... He pointed out that was because the steel keel bolts were wasp wasted and stretching.. He said he would try to get our deposit back for us .He insisted that we hand over all the sails .....which we did.
    He then said , pick a very calm day ,tow a dingy astern and motor back where you came from. Which we did , He met us later returned the sails got ,with some difficulty got the deposit returned,, We were somewhat more careful with the next adventure .. Most likely he saved us from an event such as are we are now discussing .
    He wrote a long letter describing the boat and a warning..........
    He refused to take any money ,A prince of a man whom I will never forget..
    What a great story! Thanks for sharing it. It's sometimes easy to forget that there are a lot of good people in this world.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Flint Springs, Tennessee
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The boat sure is out of the channel in that pic!


    Looks like it's between green #5 and red #4 to me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    23,659

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Sawyer View Post
    Looks like it's between green #5 and red #4 to me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Judging by the position of the powerboat, it looked out of the channel to me.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  5. #40
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,832

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    I can't be too judgmental on these people for knowing nothing. I came close to losing a boat when I was 20 or 21. Came into a bay with the wind, rounded up to anchor and the anchor would not set. As I blew toward the beach, I tried to start my outboard and fouled the prop on the anchor line. I was able to push off the beach and sail out into deep water. I only got scared once I had time. It never occurred to me to consider that the anchor might not bite.

    We all make mistakes. Some of us are luckier than others.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    38,767

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The boat sure is out of the channel in that pic!
    But we don't know how far or in what direction it drifted after the keel fell off.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    23,659

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    But we don't know how far or in what direction it drifted after the keel fell off.
    True. I think I'll shut up now...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  8. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lenox, MA/Vineyard Haven, MA
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    This was a terribly written article. They pay people for this kind of thing?

    Mickey Lake
    Incredibly bad. No details, no investigation, just a poorly collated gloss on some overheard chatter that brings up far more questions than it answers

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    whether they were inside or out of the channel,
    we've all run aground without catastrophe,
    especially in soft sand..

    there were clearly multiple and compounded factors in effect that led to the keel seperating

  10. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Graceville, Florida
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Their charts were ONE year old!
    Unless that is even more wrong with the reporting in the article. The only thing we know fer sher is the author does not know whats doin. We all know how easy it is to loose a boat.
    About 15 years ago, I went looking to buy a chart for St. Andrews Bay. I figured I might as well, since I was going to be sailing on it for the forseeable future, in my own boat. Previously I simply went out for a few hours at a time, in whatever I could rent, wherever I was stationed at the time and didn't bother with any charts at all.

    I couldn't find a chart to buy locally, that was newer than about 6 years old. Maybe I was just looking in all the wrong places. I ended up downloading one off the net, that was way too big for me to print, but at least I could look at it on the computer before driving 60 miles to launch the boat for a few hours. I never did figure out where someone would go to buy a current chart in the Panama City area.

    regards,
    Joe
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"

  11. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Auckland ,N.Z.
    Posts
    24,291

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Best charts for areas of the Pacific are quite ancient. Yasawas islands in Fiji are reproduced in the 1970s ,for example....so pretty new.

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Thread drift...

    Robin and I were standing on a cliff path in Ireland last November looking at the bay leading to Courtmacsherry, in Cork. She looked closely at the water, and the buoyage and appeared puzzled. She looked at me. She looked at the water. She looked at me and said, "Those buoys aren't right." I said, "What do you mean?" She said, "Look at the sandbanks -- obviously you've got to go on THIS side of that green buoy or you'll hit." "Yeah, so?" "Well, if they're going into the harbor, THAT way [points], then it's not Red-Right-Returning."

    This was with triumphant logic. Unassailable. Robin's been boating since 1990, and she KNOWS R-R-R.

    "It's not R-R-R over here."
    "What?!?"
    "It's only R-R-R in North America. And a few places overseas where the US set things up."
    "Really?"
    "Yep."
    "The rest of the world is the opposite?" Long pause... digests... a scowl... "Well that's STUPID!"

  13. #48
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Deer Isle, Maine
    Posts
    1,439

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    This is an interview with the boat owners...
    https://youtu.be/j7fLn5DItPw

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    38,767

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Thread drift...

    Robin and I were standing on a cliff path in Ireland last November looking at the bay leading to Courtmacsherry, in Cork. She looked closely at the water, and the buoyage and appeared puzzled. She looked at me. She looked at the water. She looked at me and said, "Those buoys aren't right." I said, "What do you mean?" She said, "Look at the sandbanks -- obviously you've got to go on THIS side of that green buoy or you'll hit." "Yeah, so?" "Well, if they're going into the harbor, THAT way [points], then it's not Red-Right-Returning."

    This was with triumphant logic. Unassailable. Robin's been boating since 1990, and she KNOWS R-R-R.

    "It's not R-R-R over here."
    "What?!?"
    "It's only R-R-R in North America. And a few places overseas where the US set things up."
    "Really?"
    "Yep."
    "The rest of the world is the opposite?" Long pause... digests... a scowl... "Well that's STUPID!"
    That's Americans for you.
    Running away laughing.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  15. #50
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cummington
    Posts
    5,362

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Yup, but Canadians too, I guess.

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    38,767

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Yup, but Canadians too, I guess.
    Canada is in America.
    But you are correct, US citizens don't hold the monopoly
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    23,659

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Canada is in America.
    But you are correct, US citizens don't hold the monopoly
    Yeah, but we invented it & are proud of it!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  18. #53
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Deer Isle, Maine
    Posts
    1,439

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    That's Americans for you.
    Running away laughing.
    Yea, a subtle, irony-laced sense of homo(u)r!

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    magnolia springs, alabama u.s.a.
    Posts
    12,987

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Being completely honest I like their spirit, attitude, etc. I don't like that they potentially put others at risk by their ineptitude, but that's a risk we all take, right? We are all of us neophytes compared to someone out there in the world.

    They are young and can start over. I hope they make it together. A lot of us try and tell our kids that they need to get out there and not fall into the trap of wage slavery, but honestly most folks fall right into that trap. They have been convinced that they have to have the best or newest _____ and wind up getting stuck in some job to pay for it. My youngest daughter is in some ways like these kids in that she doesn't care about shoes or phones or anything else like that, she just wants to see everything and do everything. I feel blessed to be her dad, to know her as a person, and I would probably feel the same way about these knuckleheads.

    As the guy said in the Indiana Jones movie, they got beat today, but that doesn't mean they have to like it. They can try again, and I hope they do.

    Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

  20. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    908

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Gotta agree with Mickey on that one! My oldest daughter was known as "Adventure Jen" by her friends and took off after her undergrad degree to teach English in Japan, then moved to Australia to finish grad school. You live a lot more life when you're willing to differentiate between your "needs" and your "wants" and prioritize accordingly. I hope these two stick to it and that they perhaps get a little bit of mentorship before their next try.

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Canada is in America?

    If you don't say "North" America, it is NOT implicit. Not in any way.

    Even Americans don't think Canada is in America. (On those rare occasions when Canada crosses their minds.)

  22. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,539

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Canada is in the Americas.

  23. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Auckland ,N.Z.
    Posts
    24,291

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quite a lot of chat on other sites with people familiar with the area talking about it. That sandbar does shift quite a lot relative to the buoys evidently, which means its a daylight or local knowledge ( at night) entrance.
    At least the grounding was a way of discovering the keel bolt deficiencies, thank goodness that didn't happen in bad weather or out to sea.
    Last edited by John B; 02-14-2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spooling

  24. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    23,659

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Quite a lot of chat on other sites with people familiar with the area talking bout it. That sandbar does shift quite a lot relative to the buoys evidently, which means its a daylight or local knowledge ( at night) entrance.
    At least the grounding was a way of discovering the keel bolt deficiencies, thank goodness that didn't happen in bad weather or out to sea.
    I've sailed from near there to Key West - it can get surprisingly lumpy - as it's pretty shallow. Warmer than Maine to Cape Cod though...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  25. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Auckland ,N.Z.
    Posts
    24,291

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    You sure it wasn't Key Largo, with Lauren Bacall for crew?

  26. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    23,659

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You sure it wasn't Key Largo, with Lauren Bacall for crew?
    I could wish. Been down the Hawk channel - but no Lauren.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  27. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Auckland ,N.Z.
    Posts
    24,291

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Haha, yes its funny looking on Google maps and seeing all these famous place names. Of course other than a movie or song I have absolutely no idea what they're like.

  28. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    23,659

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Seen mangroves? Seen a 2 meter dune? Seen tourists with shorts, white puffy legs, & black socks?

    You've seen the Keys.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  29. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Auckland ,N.Z.
    Posts
    24,291

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Dammit.

  30. #65
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cummington
    Posts
    5,362

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    Sorry, I know that.

  31. #66

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    John B that was " President Coolidge" loaded with U.S. troops, entering Port Vila, she is still a dive site.

  32. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    16,815

    Default Re: Inexpensive 50 year old boat and neophytes...

    I know people who just might be able to take a 5K boat, and, with another 5K and a whooooole lot of time, set it up to sail the world. But this Colorado couple are nothing like them - at all. I admire their spirit but I think they were dead lucky to have this happen close to rescue and I hope they've learned a very important lesson.

    Rick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •