Thread: Winter pondering about Jericho Bay Skiff

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

Question Winter pondering about Jericho Bay Skiff

It’s cold and rainy so this is an opportune day to think/plan/strategize about our Jericho Bay Skiff.

As some of you may know, the Jericho Bay is a Joel White designed, 16’ Skiff, in the lobster boat style. The design specifies a rather pronounced ”hook” in the hull leading to the transom. The design is done this way to provide extra lift at lower speed and help the hull plane quickly.

It it does allow the boat to plane quickly. However, this advantage comes at a cost (at least in my personal experience). Our Jericho has two negatives that I think are attributed to the aforementioned “hook”.

At speed below planing and above idle, it seems to suck the aft end down. This makes steering uncomfortable and overly “jerky”.

On plane, she rides excessively bow down at various motor trims. (30hp etec with power trim for the record). This can lead to a wetter ride and again makes her steering less than ideal comfort.

For the record, I’m not bashing a great overall design and I truly love our “Juniper”. I am seeking greater understanding and experience. If along the way that generated suggestions for “solutions “ so much the better.

In local discussion with friends, lots of ideas are openly being debated. I have played with trim and weight distribution to some extent already. The problem can be exacerbated, but those solutions come up short of my ideal.

I’m wondering about solutions like trim tabs (take away from classic look a bit much for my taste) To refairing the bottom to cut back on the hook. (Pretty invasive one way “solution”) Or even reducing its rather substantial keel depth on the forward half.

Since this an actively built design sold by our forum host I also hope this might guide future builders and provide them options.

Thanks to anyone for their time and sharing experience and expertise here.

Default Re: Winter pondering about Jericho Bay Skiff

Spray rails forward will impart lift that could counteract the lift aft and be a benefit. At least that's a less-obtrusive way to test, and if they don't work as hoped, you can strip them off, fair, and paint like it was never a thought.

E

We had a similar design with a hook designed into the bottom and I added spray rails from the bow to amidships to reduce the 'wetness' you experience. A round bottom 'double-wedge' lobster boat hull without them can sometimes encourage the bow wave to cling to the hull and ride up the sides, throwing substantial spray. I can't speak to the squatting but guess it might be related to the shorter length of the boat?

Millennium Falcon copy.jpg
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Thank you gentleman. This is just the kind of practical advise I was hoping for when I posted.

Perhaps if the rails carried all the way aft they might also provide lift over the entire hull?

Placing the spray rail on a rounded chine is not something I have experience doing. On a hard chine I assume the rail would follow that line, but I would welcome suggestions on determining proper placement.

The "turn" of the chine is fairly obvious at the stern, but as it moves forward placing becomes a bit less obvious and suggestions or rules of thumb would be welcome.

Here is an example for comparison sake... Looks right to my inexperienced eye and it is on a much large boat but at least a similar hull form.

I see "Spray Rails" and "Lifting Rails" as two different things.

Spray rails remain above the sitting waterline and will knock down any potential spray as you move through the water.

Lifting rails are mostly beneath the running waterline to channel the water flowing under the hull and provide lift. (now that sweet-ass picture in jtdums post may have successfully combined the two theories since those are so much deeper aft).

From what I understand, there's a lot of trial and error, or science in sizing and properly positioning Lifting Rails and for a boat your size, could lead to a lot of intrusion to the hull and overall frustration.

I'd back the Spray Rail solution and definitely go full-length. No problem on a rounded hull. In my opinion, they add to the look of a boat and if shaped properly will absolutely perform the desired function. As far as placement, keep them just above the sitting waterline aft and curve upwards towards the bow to "what looks right". Here's mine on a very round Ocean Pointer hull. I experience NO spray with these; in fact, it's probably the driest boat I've owned.

As far as the jerky steering and squatting issue - I've only seen the Jericho Bay Skiff at the WB show so no experience here, but she looks awful light for a 30 hp. Is that what's recommended? Anyway, good luck sorting out all your various advice.

That is a beautiful Ocean pointer and thank you for the help.

I agree about spray rails being above the waterline and go so far as to suggest looking into M1000 Smartrails as a product to use if they aren't too $$ for you: https://www.integritymarinecorp.com/smart-rails

As far as placement, you could tack a batten along your hull and adjust until they 'look right' to your eye, mark and then fasten the real rail you've chosen. If yours will be wood they would be easy enough to fasten from the open interior but the force of water against them means they have to be very firmly bedded and fastened. Carrying them all the way to the stern (IMO) might not be necessary and would detract from the lovely shape of the JBS's tumblehome.

Tad Roberts, a forum member and designer of truly beautiful lobster boats (based on a model by Peter Kass) recommends that the outer edges of spray rails be very sharp. Enough so to be wary of. His Johns Bay 32 is an example of how he includes spray rails forward on most of that type of hull:http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/ne...johnsbayboat32 (It was from those hulls that I got the placement idea for the rails on our boat shown above.)

Perhaps he'll chime in here or you could message him.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 02-11-2018 at 08:35 AM.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

I've admired Tad's designs before. He is very talented and certainly knows his craft. His insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if adding spray rails addresses the symptom, but not the underlying "problem" (if there is indeed one to begin with).

To address the early concern about the outboard. The 2 stroke etec 30hp that I used shares the block with the smaller 25hp and they are consequently the same weight. In hindsight, I would now recommend the smaller and lighter 20hp as a better match, but for our purposes this little boat is used to haul people and gear around at times so I opted for the larger motor. Excessive testosterone on that day made me opt for the 30 over the 25 since there was no weight penalty.

Also wondering if anyone has experience with outboard hydrofoils and how this somewhat easy change might impact the characteristics I'm seeing.

Another thought would be a prop change...maybe 4 blade? RPM range is correct with the stock aluminum prop, but I know some people swear by prop modification.