Thread: Interlux Schooner problems

Default Interlux Schooner problems

I'm battling to get the desired finish with Schooner as I find that it develops a film over the surface of the varnish in the can once opened. To avoid getting any of this into the jar from which I apply the varnish I use a 20ml syringe and draw in the varnish from well below the surface. Yet I am STILL getting tiny flecks of the "film" onto the newly varnished surfaces. It seems that straining the varnish through a paper paint strainer is the way to go. Would a paper coffee strainer do ? Or, perhaps, use a section of an old cotton sheet.

I have been unable to find paint strainers locally.

Interestingly, several years ago when varnishing the decks of my Chesapeake kayak I used Epifanes and never faced this annoying problem.

Comments / Advice / Suggestions would be appreciated.

With thanks

Dave

Default Re: Interlux Schooner problems

Do you have access to old nylon stockings, preferably with the owner's leg removed. Purpose made strainers are worth the money if they're handy. While it can be a bit messy, a piece of stocking stretched over your varnish bucket will get the crap out of your varnish. I find that if I don't use it quickly enough, my Epiphanes will skin over more readily than most other varnishes. I attribute this to its high content of solids and low volume of volatile thinners. I never tried a coffee strainer. It might be worth a try if you have some handy.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

Yes. Figure out a way to strain that varnish. You don't say where you are, but you can get them by mail order if nothing else.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

These days, letting any decent varnish (or marine paint) skin over in the can can be a pretty serious waste of money, and even the stuff that doesn't skin over may be changing consistency a bit. There have been multiple threads over the years here dealing with methods and products which will preserve your varnish as it sits in a partially used can. It's worth searching for some of them. Personally, I use a cheap vacuum hand pump from an infomercial called a "Pump-n-Seal". It sucks the air out of the can, which can then sit on a shelf for several years without skinning over or otherwise changing. When you do eventually open the can, the varnish is perfect, just as you left it. At the price of good varnish these days, the silly little gizmo can pay for itself on the first can. So once you get your varnish strained, you might want to check into some better methods of preservation for the future.

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

Any automotive paint store will have strainers. They are available in different grades, the extra fine is not usually in stock because it will filter the "metallic" pigments out of the paint.
    I like fine strainers for varnish.
    Or this...

IMG_3605.jpg

Have to say I am using some 2 Pack Epiphanes, well over 10 years old, been stored for that time with tin 4/5 empty for all that time and go on like a dream. I only mix enough for about 20 sq ft worth at a time. Used Schooner Gold for years and simply not getting the level of protection I wanted. Let you know in 8 months how the Epifanes goes.

I do the old turning the can upside down thing.

Another source of "nerds" in the varnish is dried varnish that has adhered to brush bristles. They flake off from the hairs of a brush that was not cleaned thoroughly.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by SchoonerRat View Post
    Do you have access to old nylon stockings, preferably with the owner's leg removed. Purpose made strainers are worth the money if they're handy. While it can be a bit messy, a piece of stocking stretched over your varnish bucket will get the crap out of your varnish. I find that if I don't use it quickly enough, my Epiphanes will skin over more readily than most other varnishes. I attribute this to its high content of solids and low volume of volatile thinners. I never tried a coffee strainer. It might be worth a try if you have some handy.
    Thing is though, the owners hate it when you remove their leg. Worth it for a decent varnish job in the end.

My local Sherwin Williams store has filters. IIRC 25 cents each if you're not buying paint.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

if you have access to a welder that uses 100% argon, it is worth the effort
    to get a squirt of gas under the lid before sealing it for long term storage.
    argon is heavier than oxygen thus smothering the urge to skin over.
    a commercial aerosol argon called BLOXYGEN is also a good product with less hassle with the welder.
    http://www.bloxygen.com/
    Bloxygen.jpg

Thank you fellow Wooden-boaters ! I'll see if I can find paint strainers. Most, if not all of you, live in the United States where you enjoy having a very wide range of product offerings. Your market is huge. I live in South Africa where most of the items available are imported from China or locally made rubbish. We even battle to find 3M products here.

If all else fails I'll (as suggested by SchoonerRat) ask my missus for an old stocking.

Dave

Ah - didn't know you were in South Africa. In settings, there's a spot to add your location (it shows in the upper right). No need to get too specific, but something general is helpful. I rather imagine you don't have Sherwin Williams stores on every street corner..

Store the can upside down and it will lessen dealing with skins. Storing upside down also seals 100% of possible outside air exchange. When I started storing varnish/paint that way the skin issues pretty much went away. I don't use Schooner (or for than matter varnish often anymore) so your mileage may vary with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Ah - didn't know you were in South Africa. In settings, there's a spot to add your location (it shows in the upper right). No need to get too specific, but something general is helpful. I rather imagine you don't have Sherwin Williams stores on every street corner..
    Have added my location in settings, thanks for the heads-up. We certainly don't have Sherwin Williams stores anywhere ! The odd boating shop (usually for plastic power-boats) and paint store do stock International or Epifanes products, but these come at a cost as our currency is weak.

The nylon stocking filtration worked well so I'm nearly done.

Dave

Great! If the stockings worked well, I'm guessing you removed their owner first...

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Great! If the stockings worked well, I'm guessing you removed their owner first...
    Yep ! No legs in there.

I second the use of Argon to stop varnish skinning over in cans. It's a clean reliable way if you've got a heli-arc welder nearby.

It's also useful to go ahead and thin the varnish to a lighter viscosity before storing it. The skin is the varnish drying inside the can from the enclosed oxygen so thinned varnish will take longer to get a skin. After a quart can is half empty it's wise to thin the rest to help save it.

Don't remove the lid...punch holes in the lid for pouring varnish and seal the holes with sheet metal screws. This actually works.

I sometimes tip up the lid of the varnish can and run some propane out of my hand held propane torch into the can, hoping it will displace enough oxygen to prevent the skin from forming. I haven't done any kind of controlled testing, but it seems to help. Other products are probably better, but propane is what I've got.

A big dribble of a 50/50 mix of turps and linseed, just enough to cover the surface in the can will prevent skinning over. Just stir it in next time...

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    A big dribble of a 50/50 mix of turps and linseed, just enough to cover the surface in the can will prevent skinning over. Just stir it in next time...
    Stir varnish?

That would be correct; stir varnish.