I need a winch, a block and tackle, or some such thing?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluedog225
    Tom
    • Mar 2009

Re: I need a winch, a block and tackle, or some such thing?

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info.

To answer couple of questions.
    I'm not getting any younger so not lifting would be strongly preferred. Not much grunt left.
    The weight is a guess. I think she weighs 6-700 empty, plus gear etc. If I can move her without unloading all the better.
    Hauling her up will be an occasional thing. I'd like to have the option to get her out of the surf. and back in the water. E.g. for the everglades challenge. I have a graphite bottom on her that has performed remarkably well and is easy to touch up.
    She carries two rollers well on the gunnels. Looks sporty. I'm sure I can find room for a third/ fourth. Some use pvc successfully.
    I like the idea of attaching the block to the bow eye for 2:1. I suppose I could go to a fiddle for more advantage. I'm trying to avoid a come along. Too hard to deal with esp in a sandy environment.

I suppose I should get a no stretch line? It seems a little risky to use the nylon anchor line.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Ian McColgin
      • Apr 1999

I see no problem with a normal three strand nylon anchor rode. You're not going to break it.

It would be slow but if you splice a block on the top end of the rode (reeving it through the block that will shackle to your bow eye first) and have an extra ten or twenty feet of line, you could then clap that spare line up twords the anchor, pass the end through the block on the end of the rode, and now you have 4:1. Pull it home and reposition the rig closer to the anchor. Attach this line to the anchor rode with either a four turn tautline hitch or a prussic.

G'luck

Comment

• bluedog225
        Tom
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Ian McColgin
        I see no problem with a normal three strand nylon anchor rode. You're not going to break it.

It would be slow but if you splice a block on the top end of the rode (reeving it through the block that will shackle to your bow eye first) and have an extra ten or twenty feet of line, you could then clap that spare line up twords the anchor, pass the end through the block on the end of the rode, and now you have 4:1. Pull it home and reposition the rig closer to the anchor. Attach this line to the anchor rode with either a four turn tautline hitch or a prussic.

G'luck
        Excellent. Thanks!

I worry about being on the receiving end is any of it fails. I was up on a ladder pulling some nylon mason' twine tight and the nail pulled out. Lots of energy. The nail came straight at me trailing the line. Buried itself up to the head in my arm. Pretty lucky all things considered.

Comment

• navydog
          • Sep 2007

If you are willing to spend a few dollars you could mount an electric capstan on the fore deck. Then you can pull in as much line as you can put out. For Example: Powerwinch Capstan*or Maxwell Anchormax,*many other mfg's to chose from.

Comment

• Chip Chester
            • May 2012

Some hardware: https://wheeleez.com

Comment

Working...