Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Another "duh?" Moment

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,908

    Default Another "duh?" Moment

    Don't use a spokeshave very often but every time I've used it over the past few months I just wasn't working right! So I took the blade out to hone. Bevel was up! Put it back now we cooking lol.


    Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,802

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    I sentence you to two minutes in the moaning chair!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    24,788

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Time to sing my song: "It's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Hyannis, MA, USA
    Posts
    44,967

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    There's not one answer here. There are shaves totally designed for bevel up or bevel down and there are some that work well either way. The better cutting angle of bevel down can tempt one to too deep a slice and some tear out. Or you might have a bit of squirrley grain. Even if you generally preferr bevel down, just turning the blade around or, better, grabbing a shave designed for bevel up and setting it very shallow will let you out of a messy moment.

    Wood and steel.

    G'luck

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Decatur, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I sentence you to two minutes in the moaning chair!
    Chuckling softly at your humanity!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    There's not one answer here. There are shaves totally designed for bevel up or bevel down and there are some that work well either way. The better cutting angle of bevel down can tempt one to too deep a slice and some tear out. Or you might have a bit of squirrley grain. Even if you generally preferr bevel down, just turning the blade around or, better, grabbing a shave designed for bevel up and setting it very shallow will let you out of a messy moment.

    Wood and steel.

    G'luck
    That is true but bevel down seems to work on White Oak I'm happy with that. With my carpal tunnel I can only go for a few minutes anyhow

    Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    I have the same one that I picked up from a garage sale for $5 because "it wouldn't cut". Bevel was up and ran right under the chip breaker with a big splinter stuffed in there. Nice compass plane, by the way

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I have the same one that I picked up from a garage sale for $5 because "it wouldn't cut". Bevel was up and ran right under the chip breaker with a big splinter stuffed in there. Nice compass plane, by the way
    thank you! but it's really not nice at all, parts are missing it's the wrong blade and cap iron, I doubt that I'll ever track down the proper parts for the little bit woodworking I do. it does work on softer woods. But to use it I actually have to create reasons to use it like the little carlins clamped together.

    Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Southampton Ont. Canada
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    "A Simpson never quits until he has tried one really easy thing."
    Homer
    Sleep with one eye open.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    thank you! but it's really not nice at all, parts are missing it's the wrong blade and cap iron, I doubt that I'll ever track down the proper parts for the little bit woodworking I do. it does work on softer woods. But to use it I actually have to create reasons to use it like the little carlins clamped together.

    Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    I have one with all the original parts; it never works very well. The plane was a good idea that really wasn't. A smoothing plane or block held at an angle work much better, and for tight radius a spoke shave. There's been a few times I would have liked a spoke shave with a little radius to the bottom. The one specialty plane that I used a lot is a Stanley No. 95 edge plane. That's a wonderful tool everyone should have.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    A radius sole spokeshave is nice. I have one I use for bows, on the tight radius where the grip fades into the limb (for me usually under a 2" radius). Mine is a Lee Valley and I'm not so sure of their round grips, though. I may have to grind a flat on the bottom of the grips just for "registration"...heresy, I know, but....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    14,829

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Only one cordless tool I recognise there Denise, The yellow one in the back.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    47,855

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Time to sing my song: "It's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way"
    I sing that regularly. My sweetie usually starts throwing whatever's handy when I get the part about '... skintight blue jeans' <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    24,788

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I sing that regularly. My sweetie usually starts throwing whatever's handy when I get the part about '... skintight blue jeans' <G>
    The part that rings true for me is "I keep getting better looking each day".
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,802

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Noto View Post
    Chuckling softly at your humanity!
    I've never done a boat project without a moaning chair

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,908

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Dang.. cut up my moaning chair and built a steamed ribs (frames) tosser. Hot stuff comin yer way!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,802

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Hey a trebuchet is a great project!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Hey a trebuchet is a great project!
    They are pretty cool piece of ancient technology

    Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    They are pretty cool piece of ancient technology

    Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    More "duh" lol.
    This guy shows how to take it apart I was playing with it a little while ago it will absolutely not even work with the bevel up I moved the chip breaker up about 3/8 of an inch and the lever plate may be too short, but it was making a few curls from the WO. https://youtu.be/cmEx7JXy2e0

    This guy explains how the chip breaker works on a well-designed plane I don't know if there is even room on this #113 for the chip breaker to be that close to the edge.

    https://youtu.be/xpKyPIxyyEk
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-10-2018 at 06:30 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    More "duh" lol.
    This guy shows how to take it apart I was playing with it a little while ago it will absolutely not even work with the bevel up I moved the chip breaker up about 3/8 of an inch and the lever plate may be too short, but it was making a few curls from the WO. https://youtu.be/cmEx7JXy2e0

    This guy explains how the chip breaker works on a well-designed plane I don't know if there is even room on this #113 for the chip breaker to be that close to the edge.

    https://youtu.be/xpKyPIxyyEk
    Anyhow I learned a little bit about chip breakers. The one on the compass plane is definitely a half inch too short so I need to find a 1-3/4"X 5" chipbreaker. Anyhow my bench plane is making gossamer curls now that I have the chipbreaker set very very close to the edge of the iron,.

    The things that make "old' people happy certainly are different, than the things that make young people happy, there was a time that I would just now be getting ready to go out lol

    Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norwalk CT
    Posts
    929

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    Im on my second moaning chair....

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,908

    Default Re: Another "duh?" Moment

    After playing with planes 2 nights in a row.. I was like OMG felt like I was hit by a truck! Yeah... back on the shelf for those for now.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •