Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technical helper

Default Re: Technical helper

Thank you all for the interest in this issue of hearing. Speaking for myself, I don't have any problem on the transmit side of things. I'd be happy to hold my handheld vhf up to my face, press the talk button, and carry on. It's the hearing issue that is my bugaboo. And there isn't necessarily any engine noise to contend with.... I'm usually on a small sailboat that has an electric outboard as power. But if there is any wind rustling in my ears... that's noise to me. If the waves are lapping, the sails flapping, or even myself clunking about, it's all noise that distracts. So noise cancelling headphones would help a lot. At least they would give me a fighting chance to hear what's being said over the radio. As it is, the idea of "monitoring" station 16 is pointless for me.

I don't necessarily require bluetooth connectivity. A simple cable would work. Although bluetooth would be nice. I'd have to purchase another set of noise cancelling headphones with that technology but that's OK.

Again, thanks for all the interest and suggestions. By the way... transmitting directly into my hearing aids won't work. I'd still hear all the external noise.

Jeff

Jeff, I too use the Oticon bluetooth hearing aids and I agree, when underway I would use the Bose noise cancelling headphones anyway. I currently have non-bluetooth headphones and I could cable them to my VHF if the VHF had a headphone jack, which it doesn't. As I mentioned elsewhere, I could buy a new VHF with headphone jack, but I assume that very soon VHF radios will come with bluetooth, so I'll wait a while. And like you, I have no problem keying a mic, just want to make it easier to monitor channel 16 while underway.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The dongle won't help unless there is a place to dongle it from. My VHF is a few years old Icom. It does not have a speaker out or earphone jack. Of course I could buy a newer one that does, but I would rather wait a year or so and buy one with blue tooth built in.

As far as engine noise, I have already insulated and rebuilt the stack so that it is minimized as much as reasonably possible without changing engines. It is not so loud that it kills my sense of hearing, I'm perfectly able to hear others talking or horns or other boats or whatever, even WITH my Bose noise cancelling headphones on, that is how active noise cancelling works. I can also hear the VHF speaker, but it is just plain annoying to have it that loud. I would simply rather monitor it inside the headphones. With respect, if you (Ian ) think I'm going to throw away a perfectly good boat that I absolutely love just because the VHF is a little annoying, you are sadly mistaken.
    Can't be too hard to open up the radio and solder something onto the wires that feed the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Can't be too hard to open up the radio and solder something onto the wires that feed the speaker.
    True, and I’ve done that on many things in the past, most notably TVs. But as I’ve said, I’d rather go wireless, so I’m content to wait for Bluetooth.

True, and I’ve done that on many things in the past, most notably TVs. But as I’ve said, I’d rather go wireless, so I’m content to wait for Bluetooth.
    There are two more easy options I can think of. Same idea but different technologies, they sell Bluetooth microphones that would connect to Bluetooth headphones and you could simply place the mic next to the speaker (you would need to shield it the best you can).
    Other option is the same but FM rather than Bluetooth.
    This option has negatives but also positives such as your crew will still be able to communicate with you be simply talking into the mic, bad things tho, it will also transmit every sound it picks up.

Or open both units up, disconnect the microphone from inside the Bluetooth mic and connect it to the speaker of your vhf, I probably wouldn't connect it directly and u would use a switch (so you can select between speaker and Bluetooth) and a 2kohms resistor to limited the amp to pre amp levels. You will also need to power the board (hacked Bluetooth microphone). You could then simply plug your wired headphones into a smart phone, get your phone to connect to the microphone and you have a wireless system. I just woke up so you may need to excuse my spelling or idea.
    Last edited by NephewMatt; 02-12-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Jeff, I too use the Oticon bluetooth hearing aids and I agree, when underway I would use the Bose noise cancelling headphones anyway. I currently have non-bluetooth headphones and I could cable them to my VHF if the VHF had a headphone jack, which it doesn't. As I mentioned elsewhere, I could buy a new VHF with headphone jack, but I assume that very soon VHF radios will come with bluetooth, so I'll wait a while. And like you, I have no problem keying a mic, just want to make it easier to monitor channel 16 while underway.

My Standard Horizon handheld has a jack but I cannot find an adaptor that will allow me to plug in my headphones. SH is no help, I've asked. The internet has many adapters for sale but which one do I need? I don't know and internet research hasn't answered that question for me. I suspect that there is something available. I just don't know the lingo. Electronics is a foreign language for me.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    My Standard Horizon handheld has a jack but I cannot find an adaptor that will allow me to plug in my headphones. SH is no help, I've asked. The internet has many adapters for sale but which one do I need? I don't know and internet research hasn't answered that question for me. I suspect that there is something available. I just don't know the lingo. Electronics is a foreign language for me.

Jeff
    Jeff can you send me the model number of the radio? I will see if I can find a adapter to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by NephewMatt View Post
    Jeff can you send me the model number of the radio? I will see if I can find a adapter to fit.

It's an HX 870. This is a current model, I believe. Mine is about three years old. Thanks for the interest and help!

Jeff

When you use the external speaker/mic jack it disables the in built mic and speaker so plugging headphones into it will mean you can not transmit. They do have a Solution, the SSM-14A external handset has a standard headphone port. The only other way around the issue would be to crack the unit open and that isn't very smart as that will compromise it being water proof. I hope this information helps Jeff.
    Last edited by NephewMatt; 02-12-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NephewMatt View Post
    When you use the external speaker/mic jack it disables the in built mic and speaker so plugging headphones into it will mean you can not transmit. They do have a Solution, the SSM-14A external handset has a standard headphone port. The only other way around the issue would be to crack the unit open and that isn't very smart as that will compromise it being water proof. I hope this information helps Jeff.

Yes, I wondered how a simple set of headphones could be used without disabling the mic. It can't, which is unfortunate. But, I didn't know that the external handset had a headphone port. I'll check it out. The whole shebang will be fairly cumbersome, but if I want to hear what's being said, I might have to put up with it.

A bit of a rant: I cannot understand why the industry isn't providing, what seems to me, a valuable accessory. The boating demographic is aging and hearing loss isn't rare at all among my friends. I've a particularly severe loss, but many others also complain that they can't hear clearly in a noisy environment. Given that the vhf radio is promoted as a safety device, it would seem natural that doing everything possible to aid clear communication would be a worthy goal. But, when I have spoken to the industry guys at boat shows asking about a headphone ability... I get blank stares from their 30 something faces. sigh.....

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Yes, I wondered how a simple set of headphones could be used without disabling the mic. It can't, which is unfortunate. But, I didn't know that the external handset had a headphone port. I'll check it out. The whole shebang will be fairly cumbersome, but if I want to hear what's being said, I might have to put up with it.

A bit of a rant: I cannot understand why the industry isn't providing, what seems to me, a valuable accessory. The boating demographic is aging and hearing loss isn't rare at all among my friends. I've a particularly severe loss, but many others also complain that they can't hear clearly in a noisy environment. Given that the vhf radio is promoted as a safety device, it would seem natural that doing everything possible to aid clear communication would be a worthy goal. But, when I have spoken to the industry guys at boat shows asking about a headphone ability... I get blank stares from their 30 something faces. sigh.....

Jeff
    It's fairly easy to answer that question Jeff, they do that so they can make extra money.

I have a new, yet to be installed, Simrad NSS8 chartplotter. I'm trying to find out what transducer I should buy to install. The boat is a 38' yacht.
    Can you help?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I have a new, yet to be installed, Simrad NSS8 chartplotter. I'm trying to find out what transducer I should buy to install. The boat is a 38' yacht.
    Can you help?

Rick
    The airmar p66 looks like a good match.

Thanks Matt! The P66 is a transom-mounted transducer, I think, Matt. I really need a thru-hull model. Navico (parent company of Simrad) contacted me today and have suggested I should go with the Lowrance/Simrad/Airmar B60 with 20 deg tilt. So, I think I'll go with that. I don't need speed and don't want to fuss with paddle wheels etc.

Later this year, I'll hook up the chartplotter and then I'll hook that up to a GME AIS unit that I have. I'm sure I'll be calling on your help again then!!

Rick

Thanks, however that seems to be an am/fm entertainment stereo. Iím looking for a vhf two way radio that I can use with wireless noise cancelling headphones. Not sure it exists yet but I expect will in the near future.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-MRHH500.../dp/B00AJVMW8S
    PaulF

Matt, I just started a thread in Tools, Equipment etc. on NMEA wiring that might interest you.

Rick