Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical helper

Default Technical helper

G'day, I was told that someone with my technical skills will be very welcome at the wooden boat forum. In the past I have helped out some of the members and was told that I should join and start a q and a thread and I was more than happy to do so. The one thing I would like to not to have is people telling me I am wrong but not having a educated discussion about it (trolls), remember there are more than one way to skin a cat and all my advice is based on what has worked for me in the past but I am always upto a open discussion to consider new ideas and techniques.

Please feel free to ask me any electrical or technical problems with boating systems.. eg GPS, AIS ect.

Default Re: Technical helper

Study the posts of people like Michael Mason and Todd Bradshaw. Both are very effective at explaining things and have various strategies for dealing with people who are problems. The most essential strategy is their willingness, after making matters as clear as possible, to just stop participating in that thread. They both realize that it's only the internet and they don't demand the last word.

Take a good look at the sail recutting thread [http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...cutting-sails] for an example of how different goals and standards can sometimes conflict.

We have lost a few very talented people due to the issues you anticipate and one particularly good wood man who was not, so far as I recall, dissed on technical astpects but felt unrespected in the Bilge. If you haave a thin skin, stay out of the Bilge.

Accept that people come here with diverse levels of skill and experience. Accept that not only are there often more ways than your to accomplish things rightly but also sometimes a proper goal is 'right enough'. We have our share of pungent personalities attached to very confident egos. Some of these know what they are doing and some are Dunning-Kruger victims.

I find that even the threads that some troll or axe grinder or seeker of validation is mucking about in, there are still enough insightful remarks made by others that the thread is of value. So long as you don't let jerks control your emotions and manipulate you into your own petty snit, you'll be of value to us and might even have a bit of fun.

Nothing works all the time and pretty much anything manages to work at least once.

Welcome & G'luck

Thanks mate, I welcome a open educated discussion as we all never stop learning. ☺️
    I have been visiting this forum for about a year now and have seen how things can get a little over the top, I also am very experienced in the forum world as I am a senior member of a couple of radio controlled forums.
    Last edited by NephewMatt; 02-09-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Because I can

Welcome Matt. We did have an electronics and ham radio guru here for quite some time, but sadly he passed on.

If this place was a club I'd be nominating or seconding Matt for membership. He's a great bloke and has helped me out with an electronics issue I hadn't a hope in hell of solving, involving which wires to go where to make an Chinese AIS receiver talk to an American VHF/chartplotter, neither of which came with even vaguely intelligible instructions.

Welcome.

All good advice so far. There have been bannings here from time to time, and sometimes it seems to the person banned that they were drawn into a bait and slap game, to which they responded. I use the Ignore function from time to time, and I'm not banned yet.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Good luck with this Matt! I'm certainly very happy to see you here! I bought a bit of gear a year or two ago that I need to hook up soon and your guidance will be invaluable! There's a chartplotter, VHF radio with DSC and an AIS transceiver. I have a depth sounder and transponder installed already but I expect that the transponder won't be compatible with the newer gear. Aaaanyway, in the not-too-distant future, I'll send model numbers and specs in the hope that you'll have time to put me on track.

Rick

Ooops, I meant transducer .... I'm always doing that!
    Last edited by RFNK; 02-11-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Glad to have you aboard, Matt. Electrical help is always welcome by me as I'm purely a "dabbler" and most of what I know has been from doing precisely that...although I have been able to keep several British cars going over the years which, come to think of it, could be why I've never learned electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Glad to have you aboard, Matt. Electrical help is always welcome by me as I'm purely a "dabbler" and most of what I know has been from doing precisely that...although I have been able to keep several British cars going over the years which, come to think of it, could be why I've never learned electronics.
    Thanks Mate
    Lol, British cars have a reputation for being electrical nightmares so it sounds like you're doing pretty good but always feel free to ask questions.

Okay, I’ll jump in with a starter question. In my pilot house the engine noise is loud enough that I often wear noise cancelling headphones. But then I can’t hear the VHF radio. Do you know of a VHF radio that transmits Bluetooth?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Okay, I’ll jump in with a starter question. In my pilot house the engine noise is loud enough that I often wear noise cancelling headphones. But then I can’t hear the VHF radio. Do you know of a VHF radio that transmits Bluetooth?
    ^5 Ron! Matt has the answer for sure!

I guess now would not be the time to discuss a heads-up display holographic image thingy, with bottom contour imaging connected to tactile input so we can feel the seascape?

Your wrong!

I'm trolling you Matt!

Smile you're on candid forum!

Actually, welcome aboard! may you wither the storm...
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-10-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Thats not a starter question. A starter question is when you turn the key and it just goes click click, or worse still there's smoke in the engine room.

Okay, Iíll jump in with a starter question. In my pilot house the engine noise is loud enough that I often wear noise cancelling headphones. But then I canít hear the VHF radio. Do you know of a VHF radio that transmits Bluetooth?
    The gme GR300BTW has Bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    ^5 Ron! Matt has the answer for sure!

I guess now would not be the time to discuss a heads-up display holographic image thingy, with bottom contour imaging connected to tactile input so we can feel the seascape?

Your wrong!

I'm trolling you Matt!

Smile you're on candid forum!

Actually, welcome aboard! may you wither the storm...
    If you want to build a heads up display I will be more than happy to help in anyway I can and really a HUD isn't complex.

Quote Originally Posted by NephewMatt View Post
    The gme GR300BTW has Bluetooth
    Thanks, however that seems to be an am/fm entertainment stereo. I’m looking for a vhf two way radio that I can use with wireless noise cancelling headphones. Not sure it exists yet but I expect will in the near future.

G'day, I was told that someone with my technical skills will be very welcome at the wooden boat forum. In the past I have helped out some of the members and was told that I should join and start a q and a thread and I was more than happy to do so. The one thing I would like to not to have is people telling me I am wrong but not having a educated discussion about it (trolls), remember there are more than one way to skin a cat and all my advice is based on what has worked for me in the past but I am always upto a open discussion to consider new ideas and techniques.

Please feel free to ask me any electrical or technical problems with boating systems.. eg GPS, AIS ect.

How would one connect a pair of noise cancelling headphones to their VHF radio. Specifically, I've got a handheld model by Standard Horizon, HX 870. I purchased their earpiece with microphone but that doesn't help me much. I've got very poor hearing and external sounds tend to mask the things I'm trying hard to actually hear. So noise cancelling helps a lot. Yet, even with our aging demographic that share my affliction, the manufacturers seem to be tone deaf to the need.

I have Sony noise cancelling headphones that I like. Of course they are not water proof. I'll take the risk.

I'd purchase a fixed unit VHF for the boat if that helped.

Don't suggest better speakers.... they won't help unless I tape them to my head with pillows on top.

Jeff

This could be a bit cumbersome....
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Matt you could maybe design and patent them. Sell the patent to China. Except I suppose China would just copy them and not bother buying your patent.

I have been thinking about the Bluetooth question, I think it will be a easy job to make a module that will plug into the mic/speaker ports that transmits and receives via Bluetooth. I will start to breadboard a prototype and keep you guys informed on this small project, so hang onto your cash and give me a few weeks to see if it's possible.

I just checked out eBay, there is a small unit that will transmit (sound only) via Bluetooth and uses a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. It will be as simple as buying sound canceling Bluetooth headphones, plugging the unit into the external speaker jack and supplying the unit 5v, for under $20.00 AUD it is a easy and cheap way to monitor your radio while being around a noisy engine.
    eBay item number .... 162361006069
    Feedback on my first thoughts will be appreciated.
    Last edited by NephewMatt; 02-11-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Found more information

I have been thinking about the Bluetooth question, I think it will be a easy job to make a module that will plug into the mic/speaker ports that transmits and receives via Bluetooth. I will start to breadboard a prototype and keep you guys informed on this small project, so hang onto your cash and give me a few weeks to see if it's possible.
    And hopefully, it floats.....

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    And hopefully, it floats.....

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Floating is easy but my recommendation is "don't drop it" hehe

To preempt some questions, yes the unit I found can both transmit and receive so way dose Matt think that the receiving side won't work, well.... Mainly because it has no tx button, you then might think, what about VOX, well VOX ain't going to work over the sound of a noisy engine and the last thing this world needs is evey word a sailor says transmitted across the air, especially when they are in the engine room.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    How would one connect a pair of noise cancelling headphones to their VHF radio. Specifically, I've got a handheld model by Standard Horizon, HX 870. I purchased their earpiece with microphone but that doesn't help me much. I've got very poor hearing and external sounds tend to mask the things I'm trying hard to actually hear. So noise cancelling helps a lot. Yet, even with our aging demographic that share my affliction, the manufacturers seem to be tone deaf to the need.

I have Sony noise cancelling headphones that I like. Of course they are not water proof. I'll take the risk.

I'd purchase a fixed unit VHF for the boat if that helped.

Don't suggest better speakers.... they won't help unless I tape them to my head with pillows on top.

Jeff
    Why not use in an ear monitor in one ear like security services do? You can get a foam mold made of your ear canal, often in medical centres or hard of hearing places. Then send it off to any number of ear monitor companies and they will embed a speaker in an epoxy copy of it. Try Ultimate Ears, they do monitors for musicians. If it's a portable radio a hard link (wire) is the go with radio in a sling about your person, if it's a fixed VHF at some distance, you need a Bluetooth transmitter connected to it, and a receiver on you to the ear peice. Just get busy looking online for this stuff, it's out there.

I think with Bluetooth it is a little more flexible, you could use a fixed mount radio as well as a handheld (as long as it was a output for sound) plus you could leave your hand unit safety in the cabin while you argue with your engine. But great simple solution and I agree my Sony studio monitoring headphones work great at stopping background sound and are super comfortable.
    Last edited by NephewMatt; 02-11-2018 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Typo

You could go as simple as a FM modulator and a set of trandies hearing protection ear muffs with a built in radio! If just monitoring your radio is what you are after.
    FM modulator - eBay item number - 222792432374
    Earmuffs with radio - eBay item number - 222791385303

There are many ways to shoot at sparrows, some choose a slingshot, some opt for a shotgun.... Me
    .. well I go with the flak 88.
    Last edited by NephewMatt; 02-12-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Ok, I have worked out (in my head) how to remotely push the tx button so that the first unit (162361006069) can both tx and rx. If you use a RF controlled relay like this one (271810084971) and a little bit of splicing/soldering it should be easy done. Any thoughts?

There are many ways to shoot at sparrows, some choose a slingshot, some opt for a shotgun.... Me
    .. well I go with the flak 88.
    Last edited by NephewMatt; 02-12-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Good luck with this Matt! I'm certainly very happy to see you here! I bought a bit of gear a year or two ago that I need to hook up soon and your guidance will be invaluable! There's a chartplotter, VHF radio with DSC and an AIS transceiver. I have a depth sounder and transponder installed already but I expect that the transponder won't be compatible with the newer gear. Aaaanyway, in the not-too-distant future, I'll send model numbers and specs in the hope that you'll have time to put me on track.

Rick

Ooops, I meant transducer .... I'm always doing that!
    Hey Rick, normally they use I2c communication ports. If you PM me the model numbers of all the equipment you have I'll be more than happy to work it out and send you back a wiring diagram, the hardest part of I2c is matching the correct baud rates.

A quick rundown on I2c...
    I2c uses four wires - a positive, negative, tx and rx.
    Your chart plotter/VHF will have plugs for devices on the back and they are normally 8 pins, a positive, negative and the rest are different baud rates. You find out what baud rate the device communicates on and you connect to the matching rx/tx pins on your chart plotter.

And oh yeah this may sound silly but I have seen people do it wrong before but tx goes to Rx and rx goes to tx.
    I know you are all a educated bunch but I just had to throw that in.
    Last edited by NephewMatt; 02-12-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Will do. Later this week. And here I was thinking baud rates only related to modems ...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Will do. Later this week. And here I was thinking baud rates only related to modems ...

Rick
    I always try and not be to technical when explaining things but I can get full technical when it is required eg standard baud rates of a serial port are 110, 300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 14400, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 128000 and 256000 bits per second. I struggled myself with this issue about 5 years ago with my first arduino (MWC) drone project and connecting a Bluetooth module to it.

Okay, Iíll jump in with a starter question. In my pilot house the engine noise is loud enough that I often wear noise cancelling headphones. But then I canít hear the VHF radio. Do you know of a VHF radio that transmits Bluetooth?
    Couldn't you address this with a dongle?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Couldn't you address this with a dongle?
    That's what she said, I think the trandies earmuff with radio and a RF modulator is a great and easy way to solve this issue, plus they will both come in handy for other things, like listening to the wife, especially when you tell her how much the boat has cost.
    Last edited by NephewMatt; 02-12-2018 at 07:29 AM.

I'll admit I have a problem with the problem. On tugs, the engineer of course had ear protection in his special place. But hearing is an important part of being on watch, even in a pilot house with doors and windows closed. Personally, I would sooner invest in engine space sound insulation that dampen my own general hearing when at the helm.

Edited to add: I am sure that the wheel house noise problem in question is intractable, perhaps the fault of exhaust stack placement, and that protecting the ears is about the only practical solution. It remains a concern, a real weakness in the boat herself.
    Last edited by Ian McColgin; 02-12-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I'll admit I have a problem with the problem. On tugs, the engineer of course had ear protection in his special place. But hearing is an important part of being on watch, even in a pilot house with doors and windows closed. Personally, I would sooner invest in engine space sound insulation that dampen my own general hearing when at the helm.
    Totally agree, it's very dangerous when you loose one of your senses, but if you are in the engine room and the engine has already removed your sense of hearing it's better to protect it. On a worksite that is extremely noisy visual aids are used to communicate, like when you are trying to tell the bobcat driver to dump it's load in a particular spot. Maybe something like lights in the engine room to indicate status wouldn't help? Such as green (everything is ok) orange (report to the helm) and red (get your swimming gear on). Just a idea, I'm no sailor so it might be a stupid one but if is a good one it will be very easy to set up and do.

The dongle won't help unless there is a place to dongle it from. My VHF is a few years old Icom. It does not have a speaker out or earphone jack. Of course I could buy a newer one that does, but I would rather wait a year or so and buy one with blue tooth built in.

As far as engine noise, I have already insulated and rebuilt the stack so that it is minimized as much as reasonably possible without changing engines. It is not so loud that it kills my sense of hearing, I'm perfectly able to hear others talking or horns or other boats or whatever, even WITH my Bose noise cancelling headphones on, that is how active noise cancelling works. I can also hear the VHF speaker, but it is just plain annoying to have it that loud. I would simply rather monitor it inside the headphones. With respect, if you (Ian ) think I'm going to throw away a perfectly good boat that I absolutely love just because the VHF is a little annoying, you are sadly mistaken.

Matt, from a practical standpoint, at least in my case, transmitting is not a problem. I can still easily use the mic. My issue is simply monitoring the VHF preferably from inside my Bose headphones without having to crank the volume up so high to hear the speaker.