Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okoume plywood from Boulter vs. Bruynzeel and Joubert

Default Okoume plywood from Boulter vs. Bruynzeel and Joubert

I am starting my first boat in lapstrake plywood - Steve Redmond's Whisp. Okoume plywood is not something I have any experience with. After some research, I learned there are several European manufacturers of okoume plywood: Bruynzeel, Joubert, a factory in Greece (Mourkis), and possibly others.

Because I live in the middle of America where boats = fiberglass, it is necessary for me to order boatbuilding plywood, and freight charges are significant. I chose Boulter Plywood in Medford, MA because their freight and shipping charges were competitive. I was told their okoume plywood is manufactured in Greece by a company that has been supplying their okoume for 25 years. However, I am beginning to wonder if I should have bought Bruynzeel or Joubert from somewhere else.

The photos below show defects in the 4mm okoume plywood I received from Boulter. Can anyone who has more experience with Bruynzeel and Joubert tell me if these kinds of defects are common in all brands of okoume plywood, or if the panels I received from Boulter are not up to the standards of the other brands?

There were two gaps of 1/16 - 1/8th inch wide, and 10-20 inches long.

One panel had splits in the face ply.

Between the gaps and the splits, I am having a difficult time laying out the planking for Whisp from these panels.

Boulter gets a lot of good will from the boatbuilding community, but my experience with them was not that great. First, they shipped 1.5mm okoume when I ordered 4mm. Then they asked me to cut the 1.5mm into 2ft x 4ft panels and ship it back to them. They paid the freight, but nothing for my time.

Also, I noticed the 1.5mm okoume was stamped with "OKOUME 1088 B.S. Loyds" stamp, same as seen here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any 1.5mm plywood can possibly meet the 1088 standard because the standard requires face plys be at least 1.5 mm thick and there are two of those, plus the center ply.

Default Re: Okoume plywood from Boulter vs. Bruynzeel and Joubert

In 2009, I purchased 50 sheets of Jourbert Okoume in sizes ranging from 4-12mm. None of these sheets had a surface defect of any consequence. In 2014, I purchased four additional sheets of 9mm Jourbert which had fewer plys than the 9mm I purchased in 2009 but the face plys continued to be outstanding.

The surface defects in your picture were absent in my plywood. I can't vouch for the level of quality in today's Joubert products, but in 2009/2014 their plywood was outstanding in regards to surface defects or no voids between the plys.

I hope your plywood issues are resolved to your satisfaction.

Best wishes for an enjoyable boat build.

I know this is off point, but, for what it is worth, I came very close to ordering marine plywood from Boulter, but it would have cost me more than $100 to ship three sheets to Vermont, so I kept looking for a better deal.

I happened to ask my local building supplier if they could order marine plywood. They made some calls and we learned they could get Okoume 1088 BS for about the same as Boulter, minus the shipping cost.

So that is where I got my marine ply, and I am very happy with its quality. It might be worth a call to your local building supplier . . . if you haven't done that already . . . .

I have purchased Meranti marine ply and Okoume marine ply in Denver, CO and in Houston, TX. I have seen a few small scratches in the Meranti. The Okoume has always been flawless. I'd be none to pleased about those cracks. If you are having it shipped I guess you are in a more difficult situation. A return is probably not too easy. I can't believe they would ship sheets like that though.
    Scott

runswithsizzors....

I am sorry you received material of very poor quality. I would not have accepted it at all. This is unfortunate to say the least. Boulter should know better and I fear they were pulling the wool over your eyes. They do have cheap plywood, but it is inferior to Bryunzeel and Joubert.

Not sure what you can do now but maybe fill the cracks with epoxy and sand it out flat.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Seibert View Post
    I know this is off point, but, for what it is worth, I came very close to ordering marine plywood from Boulter, but it would have cost me more than $100 to ship three sheets to Vermont, so I kept looking for a better deal.

I happened to ask my local building supplier if they could order marine plywood. They made some calls and we learned they could get Okoume 1088 BS for about the same as Boulter, minus the shipping cost.

So that is where I got my marine ply, and I am very happy with its quality. It might be worth a call to your local building supplier . . . if you haven't done that already . . . .
    Not sure what you mean by "local building supplier" Do you mean national chain stores like Lowes, Home Depot, and Meeks? We do have a local hardwood lumber store for woodworkers. They carry some baltic birch and hardwood plywood, but were not interested in ordering marine plywood.

Any way, it's too late now. I've ripped the sheets and have started scarfing them. About all I can do is choose some other supplier for my next project (should I live so long).

But that is a good strategy; I was able to do something similar when I ordered some sassafras lumber. The sassafras was warehoused on the other side of the state and they wanted $125 to deliver it to my door. I was able to pick it up at a regional sales office (about 20 miles) without paying any shipping.

Not a national chain . . . in central Vermont we have a supplier that is owned a family here in Barre but also has stores in a couple of other nearby towns. They mainly supply home builders but, as I learned, they can sometimes get something for a boat builder.

this thread reminds me why i drive over 300 mies(5 hours + in ideal traffic) one way to get my fancy plywood in Houston

i have found i get individually hand picked/checked/inspected product when i pick up in person

as opposed to what i hear of from threads like this where folks end up with lesser quality when they have to order their product shipped

it is sad some providers employ order pullers who don't realize(in some cases care) how their behavior affects the business as a whole

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    runswithsizzors....

I am sorry you received material of very poor quality. I would not have accepted it at all. This is unfortunate to say the least. Boulter should know better and I fear they were pulling the wool over your eyes. They do have cheap plywood, but it is inferior to Bryunzeel and Joubert.

Not sure what you can do now but maybe fill the cracks with epoxy and sand it out flat.
    Well "not accepting it" is not easy. By the time the defects were discovered the freight truck was long gone. Even if I could get Boulter to pay for return shipping, I'd have to build some kind of crate, etc.

I have filled the gaps with fairing compound (epoxy plus micro-balloons) and I can lay out the planks to avoid some of the worst defects. Fortunately, I plan to paint this boat.

The BS 1088 standard says "Face Veneers -- These must present a solid surface that is free from open defects." ...and "...gaps in faces are not permitted." Obviously, the panels I got from Boulter do not meet the standard.

My previous comment was mistaken when I said the face plys must be 1.5mm. The correct number is 1.3mm, and that only applies to panels thicker than 4.8 mm. (per Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1088)

I can only assume that you have contacted Boulter to see what they had to say? That sounds like the kind of service a company could ill afford to provide. So sorry you had to go through that! Have you done a "boil test" on a scrap to verify that at least the adhesives are suitable?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I can only assume that you have contacted Boulter to see what they had to say? That sounds like the kind of service a company could ill afford to provide. So sorry you had to go through that! Have you done a "boil test" on a scrap to verify that at least the adhesives are suitable?
    I just sent an email to Boulter to see what they have to say.

One more concern. One of the 6mm okoume panels I ordered from Boulter has a couple of knots. The BS 1088 standard allows a limited number of "sound pin knots" - but I was never able to find a definition of what that means.

Again, compared to okoume panels from Bryunzeel and Joubert would the following knots be considered normal and acceptable? These are the 2 worst ones; the same panel had a couple more smaller ones that don't concern me.

nope. get a refund--call and complain. that's terrible

kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Gone through maybe a dozen sheets of Bruynzeel & maybe 50 sheets of Joubert in the last 15 years and never saw a sheet that bad...Never a visible knot but often the grain pattern near a knot is visible but not as bad as your knot pics. Never saw big ugly gaps in the top veneer - makes you wonder what the core is like...There are suppliers of okoume with thin face plys marked BS 1088 that are crappy - I always go for the thick face plys unless it's just glassed structural parts like bulkheads. Thing to remember is BS 1088 alone is not good enough you have to know the # of plys & the face thickness to make a reasonable decision...or just pay for the big names... Moe

Sorry but what you have there I would call fraud. The "BS 1088" is a voluntary outdated standard and the stamp means nothing.
    But claiming that the ply you got is LR certified and putting the certifications number on the ply is fraud. Please call Boulter and request a copy of said certification and verify with Lloyds. As far as google knows certificate nr. 05/00025 was issued by LR to Volvo Penta for their D9 series engines.
    The adhesive in that tear seems white, wich means at best MUF not RF adhesive, so best case scenario you have some exterior ply.

There was a time when balsa core construction was all the rage until it was found that, somehow, water had the annoying habit of saturating the core, even in some of the most carefully built boats, making insanely expensive repairs or scrapping of the hull necessary!

Now, there is a very popular trend for using Okome ply for boat construction. My own observation has been that Okome was first used in non marine forms of construction that required materials to be of very light weight per cu ft. in order to save weight. ie. Trailer, RV and aircraft to name a few.
    For boat building No one seems to care that Okome is just about the most expensive and the lowest form of plywood as to rot resistance today! I would think that by the time the wood has been treated with enough penetrating resin, to resist moisture intrusion, the material is way up on the weight comparison factor as well as the cost of labor and material to adeguitly seal it! It may even match or exceed standard marine fir plywood in weight and cost as well!
    Over the years that I have been in the business of building and repairing wooden boats, the most dreaded owner factor has been, that of plywood which has turned to rotten mush under decks and in bulkheads and other interior components. Personally I prefer not to use it! By the time you have done the ply wood dance and emptied your wallet you could have saved time, frustration and money by using one of the cedars that are appropriate to your needs!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 02-09-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks to all who replied and encouraged me to follow up with Boulter. The email reply I got today indicates Boulter is willing to resolve the problem. I am pretty sure they are going to replace the 4mm okoume which has the splits in the face plys. I sent him photos of the knotty 6mm, too, but no reply yet on that issue. I will post again when the final resolution is known.

Jay Greer, no argument with what you are saying about using solid wood and traditional techniques where appropriate. In my case, I am trying to build a 15' 7" skiff and keep it light enough to put on top of my car. And like most car-top boats, it will be kept dry and under cover when not in use. A skilled craftsman with access to perfect cedar could no doubt build this boat at a finished weight similar to the plywood version - but I am not that person. Also, thin cedar lapstrake planking may not be too happy about being pulled out of the water and speed dried at 70 mph in the sun on the way home. In other words, my particular project is in some ways more like "non-marine forms of construction that require materials to be of very light weight" compared to a boat which lives in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by runswithsizzers View Post
    Thanks to all who replied and encouraged me to follow up with Boulter. The email reply I got today indicates Boulter is willing to resolve the problem. I am pretty sure they are going to replace the 4mm okoume which has the splits in the face plys. I sent him photos of the knotty 6mm, too, but no reply yet on that issue. I will post again when the final resolution is known.

Jay Greer, no argument with what you are saying about using solid wood and traditional techniques where appropriate. In my case, I am trying to build a 15' 7" skiff and keep it light enough to put on top of my car. And like most car-top boats, it will be kept dry and under cover when not in use. A skilled craftsman with access to perfect cedar could no doubt build this boat at a finished weight similar to the plywood version - but I am not that person. Also, thin cedar lapstrake planking may not be too happy about being pulled out of the water and speed dried at 70 mph in the sun on the way home. In other words, my particular project is in some ways more like "non-marine forms of construction that require materials to be of very light weight" compared to a boat which lives in the water.
    Even if a car top boat is hung under a roof I would try to verify the glue being used on the ply. Years back I bought several 5'x 5' sheets of ply from WEST to start a sheathing project per "their method". I hung the sheets overhead in my enclosed and dry storage shed for a yr waiting to start...but they delaminated from humidity so bad just hanging there I could peel every layer off. I don't remember branding or thickness but it put a sour note on the whole deal to me and it raised my awareness big time.

In the same vein, I have an 8 ft dingy that is clinker planked with 3mm plywood. I aquired it in a trade. The point is that I am amazed as to how heavy it is by comparison to a boat of the same length and shape that would be planked by using cedar! We are all here to share ideas and knowledge so, if anyone is curious about tradtional ways of planking, all you have to do is ask.
    Jay

My old mentor Joe Liener who built his ducker GREENBRIAR in the late 1940s as well as a 13' seed, had access to aircraft plywood in his shipyard in Philly. He dropped to 5/16" ply from 3/8" cedar because of the added weight of ply and that was really good stuff.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I have purchased about a dozen sheets of 6mm okoume from Noah's in Toronto on two occasions and, although I believe the sheets were from China, the quality was much better than what you are picturing. I built two 18' boats using the sheets and found no flaws.

I just drove up to Boulter for a batch of their 6mm okoume ply. Same stamp as th OP’s photo shows, but mine was all OK. This is the second boat I’ve built from their material and I’ve been happy. Sorry to hear you had a problem. The bigger boat was built with brunzeel stuff from J Gibson McIlvain, but they seem to no longer carry plywood, alas.
    I could have bought stuff from a more local supplier but at almost twice the price of Boulter’s.

That said, I am glad I made the 3 hour drive because I was able to verify the quality before handing over my VISA card.

fwiw, we've gone thru a lot of occoume plywood, and have never seen any with that degree of splits in the face panels. Or knots at all. But I agree with Jay - I try and steer clients toward something with better inherent rot resistance, unless the weight (or sometimes the flexibilty) is of over-riding importance.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I have had similar issues with Boulter in the past.
    There are other vendors.

Read John Harris's" Marine Plywood" in Wooden Boat May/June 2017 (256, 38-43, 2017).

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    There are other vendors.
    I bought a bunch from Boulter during the 4 year stretch in New England while my sweetie was in grad school. Their products were always top-notch, and their service excellent. But that was 20+ years ago. Maybe they've gone downhill?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    There are other vendors.
    How was your problem with Boulter resolved?

In one case, delivery was refused. In two others, I had to work around flawed stock.

I have purchased okoume from Berlin Myers lumberyard in Charleston, SC with none of the problems relayed in this thread FWIW. Good Service and quality. I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

Another FWIW. I use to drive up from the Cape to Boulter. Never a problem. When I recently moved to New Hampshire, I discovered Goose Bay Lumber. Very good selection, nice family run business.The meranti I just bought is excellent.
    "If a man speaks at sea where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I bought a bunch from Boulter during the 4 year stretch in New England while my sweetie was in grad school. Their products were always top-notch, and their service excellent. But that was 20+ years ago. Maybe they've gone downhill?
    Yep, the kids probably took over when the old man retired.

I just got the replacement okoume panels from Boulter today. They look pretty good. Not perfect - there is one short open split in the edge of one 4mm panel (1/16" x 5"), and a couple of small sound knots (3/8"), but it's all material I can work with it.

I was suprised and delighted when I unpacked the crate and discovered Boulter had replaced all *four* panels (two 4mm and two 6mm). In my email to Boulter I complained about only two panels, one 4mm with splits, and one 6mm with knots - but Boulter went above and beyond by replacing my complete original order. So far, they have not asked me to send anything back, which is good, because making a shipping crate is not something I want to do with my time.

I have the planking lines for Whisp layed out on the first 2ft x 16ft panel, so as soon as I can get the second panel scarfed, I'm ready to start sawing out planking!

Glad they made it right for you. They won't ask for any plywood back. Good luck with your Whisp I almost ordered plans for it but settled on a Lincolnville Salmon Wherry instead.
    I mail ordered Sapele ply for a Caledonia Yawl some years back and the supplier used the two sheets of 1/4" ply I needed as cover sheets for the 6 sheets of 3/8ths. They should have used something other than my 1/4" for cover sheets. When the plywood arrived the 1/4" ply was trashed and I refused delivery. The supplier flipped out at me for refusing the shipment instead of accepting it and asking for 2 new 1/4" sheets. Too bad for them they had to send a whole new shipment with "real cover sheets to protect the Sapele. Maybe they learned something about shipping plywood.
    Last edited by Robert W. Long; 02-19-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling

They still sent you ply with face defects?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert W. Long View Post
    Glad they made it right for you. They won't ask for any plywood back. Good luck with your Whisp I almost ordered plans for it but settled on a Lincolnville Salmon Wherry instead.
    I mail ordered Sapele ply for a Caledonia Yawl some years back and the supplier used the two sheets of 1/4" ply I needed as cover sheets for the 6 sheets of 3/8ths. They should have used something other than my 1/4" for cover sheets. When the plywood arrived the 1/4" ply was trashed and I refused delivery. The supplier flipped out at me for refusing the shipment instead of accepting it and asking for 2 new 1/4" sheets. Too bad for them they had to send a whole new shipment with "real cover sheets to protect the Sapele. Maybe they learned something about shipping plywood.
    That is another thing I should mention in Boulter's favor - their crating method is very robust. The bottom backer looks like really crappy plywood, but it's about an inch thick! The top backer was chipboard, about 3/8"-7/16" Slats of 3/4" plywood protect all edges, and the whole thing was lashed together with steel straps. Several of the edge slats were broken in shipping - but none of the okoume inside was damaged in any of the 3 shipments I received from Boulter.

The Duck Trap boats are all very pretty. Did you build the Salmon Wherry traditional, or glued lap? What did she weigh? I am thinking about getting my oar locks from Duck Trap, and maybe his book on glued lap construction, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    They still sent you ply with face defects?
    As I said, looking over the 4 sheets, I've seen one open split about 1/16" wide, 5" long, and on a different sheet, one or two sound knots about 3/8" So not perfect - but for my project, acceptable. I have no way of knowing if I received a random selection from the stack, or if someone was told to pick better sheets to try to satisfy an unhappy customer. If the latter, then we can assume most of the 4mm okoume sheets Boulter has on hand right now have some open splits. I get the feeling walk-in customers may be picking out the good stuff and mail order customers get what's left?

It will be a while before I get this boat built, but if there is another one after that, I will try to find someplace within driving distance where I can select my own plywood. I am about equidistant between Kansas City, St. Louis, Tulsa, and Little Rock - none of which are famous for wooden boats - but maybe someone stocks okoume?

Or maybe by then, I will be ready to build a more traditional craft. I have some nice long planks of vertical grain western red cedar stickered in the barn. I bought the WRC for strip canoes, but I now lack enthusiasm for cedar strip construction - too much dust!