Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okoume plywood from Boulter vs. Bruynzeel and Joubert

Default Re: Okoume plywood from Boulter vs. Bruynzeel and Joubert

I am building the Salmon Wherry glued lap at 16ft length. Have not finished her yet but I expect to come in under 200#. I am using 3/8ths ply instead of 1/4 called for in the plans so hull will be heavier but I am eliminating some bracing etc. as I am building a row only boat.

For those who may wish to see my progress with Whisp, I have started documenting the project <click here>

I've always thought this design was clever the way it laps the planks on the bench and uses the assembly as if it were one wide plank. I am considering this method for a larger outboard skiff that is on my drawing board. It would only be a lapped sheer strake.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Quote Originally Posted by runswithsizzers View Post
    For those who may wish to see my progress with Whisp, I have started documenting the project <click here>
    Whisp is such a pretty boat. Maybe it deserves its own thread in "build" as opposed to tacked on to the end of the plywood problem thread?

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Whisp is such a pretty boat. Maybe it deserves its own thread in "build" as opposed to tacked on to the end of the plywood problem thread?
    Have done. See <this thread> which also includes a link to my photos about making some oars for Whisp.

I used Joubert 12mm, 9mm, and 6MMin my boat. Completely happy with the quality. Via Edensaw in Port Townsend, WA.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic; save the country.

I would only buy from Boulter if I could personally see the material before purchase.

Glad your happy with the result, I think I would have lost all confidence in them and asked for a refund and gone elswhere.

For what it's worth, Bruynzeel is a top notch product with A grade veneers throughout.
    Ive seen better C grade veneers than in the pictures you show.
    Years ago it was Gaboon ply sold localy (the place I worked for was part of the boatcraft pacific group), not sure of the source other than Gaboon in Africa, but I believe this is also the Okoume species.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk