Thread: Getting ready for Curling

Default Getting ready for Curling

BACKLINE
    The line across the ice at the back of the house. Stones which are over this line are removed from play.

BITER
    A stone that just touches the outer edge of the circles.

BLANK END
    An end in which no points have been scored.

BONSPIEL
    A curling competition or tournament.

BRUSH
    A device used to sweep the ice in the path of a moving stone.

BURNED STONE
    A stone in motion touched by a member of either team, or any part of their equipment. Burned stones are removed from play.

BUTTON
    The circle at the centre of the house.

COUNTER
    Any stone in the rings or touching the rings which is a potential point.

CURL
    The amount a rock bends while travelling down the sheet of ice.

DRAW WEIGHT
    The momentum required for a stone to reach the house or cirlces at the distant end.

END
    A portion of a curling game that is completed when each team has thrown eight stones and the score has been decided.

GUARD
    A stone that is placed in a position so that it may protect another stone.

HACKS
    The foot-holds at each end of the ice from which the stone is delivered.

HEAVY
    A rock delivered with a greater force than necessary.

HIT
    A take-out. Removal of a stone from the playing area by hitting it with another stone.

HOG LINE
    A line 10 meters from the hack at each end of the ice.

HOGGED STONE
    A stone that does not reach the far hog line. It must be removed from play.

HOUSE
    The rings or circles toward which play is directed consisting of a 12-foot ring, 8-foot ring, 4-foot ring and a button.

IN-TURN
    The rotation applied to the handle of a stone that causes it to rotate in a clockwise direction and curl for a right-handed curler.

LEAD
    The first player on a team to deliver a pair of stones for his/her team in each end.

OUT-TURN
    The rotation applied to the handle of a stone that causes it to turn and curl in a counter-clockwise direction for a right-handed curler.

PEBBLE
    A fine spray of water applied to a sheet of curling ice before commencing play.

RAISE
    When one stone is bumped ahead by another.

ROLL
    The movement of a curling stone after it has struck a stationary stone in play.

SECOND
    The curler who delivers the second pair of stones for hi/her team in each end.

SHEET
    The specific playing surface upon which a curling game is played.

SHOT ROCK
    At any time during an end, the stone closest to the button.

SKIP
    The player who determines the strategy, and directs play for the team. The skip delivers the last pair of stones for his/her team in each end.

SPARE
    An alternate player or substitute.

SLIDER
    Slippery material placed on the sole of the shoe, to make it easier to slide on the ice.

SWEEPING
    The action of moving a broom or brush back and forth in the path of a moving stone.

TAKE OUT
    Removal of a stone from the playing area by hitting it with another stone.

TEE LINE
    The line that passes through the centre of the house parallel to the hog line and backline.

THIRD, VICE-SKIP OR MATE
    The third player on a team to throw two stones in each end. Generally this player acts as the skip when the skip is delivering his/her stones and assists with shot selection decisions.

WEIGHT
    The amount of force given to the stone during the delivery.

Default Re: Getting ready for Curling

Don't forget forechecking. I LOVE the forechecking. Take that broom and WHACK!
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I hear Mexico has a team this year.

Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I like this one:

SKIP
    The player who determines the strategy, and directs play for the team. The skip delivers the last pair of stones for his/her team in each end.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

NOBODY is ready for curling. EVER.

Well... ok, a select few Scoots & Canahoodians.

As for the resta youse... You Can't HANDLE Curling!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

One thing that non-curlers often get confused about is the scoring. It's not enough to put rocks into the house. The rock closest to the center of the house (the 'button') at the end of each end gets a point. None of the other rocks in the house count UNLESS the team with the rock closest to the button also has another one (or more rocks) closer to the button than any rock from the other team. This is why in curling the score is not determined until the last rock is thrown in each end. Which is one of the things that makes curling so interesting.

Thank heavens they don't use the "club-style" display for the score with the fixed row of points and the moveable end numbers above and below. It took me a long time to understand that system even though I watched my kids curling every week for several years. Casual viewers would never understand it.
    Voting is like driving a car: Choose "R" to move backwards. Choose "D" to move forward.

What really made curling challenging, at least in Alberta and Manitoba where I curled, was staying upright on ice while wearing shoes with a teflon sole on one shoe.......while drunk. Curlers came in three varieties where I lived in Manotoba - Blues, Mooseheads and Molsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    What really made curling challenging, at least in Alberta and Manitoba where I curled, was staying upright on ice while wearing shoes with a teflon sole on one shoe.......while drunk. Curlers came in three varieties where I lived in Manotoba - Blues, Mooseheads and Molsons.
    That's the way I remember it as a kid in Gimli - an excuse for my uncles to drink mass quantities.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I hear Mexico has a team this year.

Wow! That was so awful that it was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    One thing that non-curlers often get confused about is the scoring. It's not enough to put rocks into the house. The rock closest to the center of the house (the 'button') at the end of each end gets a point. None of the other rocks in the house count UNLESS the team with the rock closest to the button also has another one (or more rocks) closer to the button than any rock from the other team. This is why in curling the score is not determined until the last rock is thrown in each end. Which is one of the things that makes curling so interesting.

Thank heavens they don't use the "club-style" display for the score with the fixed row of points and the moveable end numbers above and below. It took me a long time to understand that system even though I watched my kids curling every week for several years. Casual viewers would never understand it.
    I think they've ALL got rocks in their houses.

But, hey... give me enough beer, and I might like it too... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Watch "Men With Brooms". I could not find a full-length movie on YouTube that my browser would play, but it's well worth it.

Best winter sport ever.............the sleds are fun to watch as well.

I hadn't seen mixed doubles curling before. I like it. Canada's going to the gold medal game too.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I hadn't seen mixed doubles curling before. I like it. Canada's going to the gold medal game too.
    curling is one sport where I don't understand at all why there should be separate men's and women's competitions. There's no relevant advantages/disadvantages to differences in strength, height, weight as there are in other sports.
    Voting is like driving a car: Choose "R" to move backwards. Choose "D" to move forward.

Ahh curling. Those were the days. I spend a few misguided semesters in college curling. What a time. A lot of my peers gave me crap for it at the time, then a few of them tried it. The comments I always loved were "this is so much harder than it look" and "once you know a little bit about this, its really fun". And, like racing sailboats, the end of an event coincides with the consumption of a fair quantity of your favorite brew.

Or not so favorite. There was one team in particular that was usually a man down for the Monday night league. I would sub for their missing guy to get more ice time. Their skip had a tradition that was particularly memorable. If you messed up really bad during a match, like threw a take out weight instead of a draw weight, or hit a stone with the brush while sweeping (which the act of doing causes the stone to be removed from play...called burning the rock) or other really stupid stuff, once the game was over, you had to take a swig from "the Judge." Now, the Judge was the bottle of booze that had the most dust on it at the liquor store. It was usually the nastiest tasting most vial and foul swill you could imagine. Sort of a friendly punishment of sorts. So this one year, the Judge was a bottle of Jepson's Mallort Ale or something like that. You don't know dreadful till you've swigged on that stuff. But, despite the occasional swig of the judge, that guy taught me a lot about curling, was heck of a nice guy, and was always good for a laugh.

Good times. If you've not tried before, see if there is a club nearby and go on one of their intro days. Its a ton of fun and the people are great.

CG

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    curling is one sport where I don't understand at all why there should be separate men's and women's competitions. There's no relevant advantages/disadvantages to differences in strength, height, weight as there are in other sports.
    Thank You, I was wondering that myself. My guess is Symantecs where they need an equal separation of sexes in the events. we went through that with my son and volleyball. The school districts would not add a boys volleyball because it would throw off the number of sports available for the sexes.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post

that's my college buddy that lives near me.

Nail biter in the Korea/Japan women’s semifinals. Japan just tied it up in the tenth end.

A recent news article talked about a Russian husband/wife curling team in the Olympics accused of doping. What I can't understand is what value would doping have in curling, not exactly a muscular/cardiac dependent sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...iled-drug-test

i'm pumped for the men's gold try tomorrow. c'mon shuster!

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    A recent news article talked about a Russian husband/wife curling team in the Olympics accused of doping. What I can't understand is what value would doping have in curling, not exactly a muscular/cardiac dependent sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...iled-drug-test
    Ever watch the sweepers? A marathon it ain't, but still requires some endurance.

One problem is that the banned substance he was found to have in his system is available over the counter in Russia.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Ever watch the sweepers? A marathon it ain't, but still requires some endurance.

One problem is that the banned substance he was found to have in his system is available over the counter in Russia.
    Yeah, watch one every day with her vacuum cleaner, she'd run circles around those curling sweepers. Actually I do enjoy watching curling and other slow sports.