Thread: Someone can help me identify this type of boat?

Default Someone can help me identify this type of boat?

Hello everybody,

New to the forum. I am an author and I was wondering if anyone can kindly help me give the correct English name to use in my novel to this type of boat. Seems that publisher and editor disagree and no one is giving a conclusive word.
    I am posting a couple of images. It is a boat quite frequently found in Italy and especially Sardinia island. In Italian its called 'gozzo' or sometimes also 'lancia'.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Davide Amante

Default Re: Someone can help me identify this type of boat?

I have no Italian but a glance at what pops with google makes me think gozzo means something like slow motor boat. https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I think that Gozzo just means small boat, as they used to be lateen rigged as well and usually double ended.
    I'd go with Lancia

https://www.getmyboat.com/boat-renta...i-italy--86183
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Lancia can mean either a Lance (a spear - see the logo of the Lancia car company) or a launch, usually slim and fast for its type. I believe (and am willing to be corrected) that the name lancia was derived as a descriptive nick name from the oared galleys that had a ram below the waterline and used like a lance - hence the appellation. A bit like "destroyer" (from torpedo boat destroyer).

A slim oar propelled boat used to ferry VIP's around would be classified as a lancia. Something like THESE:

https://www.modelerscentral.com/ship...aleniera-1850/

http://www.veniceboats.com/images/co...arca-terra.jpg

A Cornish pilot gig would, in Italy, be considered a lancia type.

So by that definition, the boats are a Launch or common or garden motorboat, not a lancia.

I know that there are a bewildering variety of local types in the Mediterranean and a few miles between ports will yield a different name for a type which only an expert could distinguish between the two. So no real help there. I'd describe the boat as something like its place of origin such as a Maltese launch, a Corsican motor boat or something along those lines without getting bogged down in the semantics. But I'm lazy like that! >};o)

So from what has been said above I would choose a name that fits the character of the boat in your story. If it is slow and plodding I would refer to it as a Gozzo. If it's depicted as swift and nimble go for Lancia. Let the noun duit the vision. It is YOUR story, after all

Rent a Traditional "Gozzo Caprese"

http://www.capri.net/en/b/rent-a-gozzo-boat-on-capri
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

This one, double ender is a Cayique type I think.

The other looks like a Tender of some sort to a bigger craft. Maybe quite quick actually. But Gozzo seems to be generic for small boats of quite different design.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-09-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_B View Post
    Lancia can mean either a Lance (a spear - see the logo of the Lancia car company) or a launch, usually slim and fast for its type. I believe (and am willing to be corrected) that the name lancia was derived as a descriptive nick name from the oared galleys that had a ram below the waterline and used like a lance - hence the appellation. A bit like "destroyer" (from torpedo boat destroyer).

A slim oar propelled boat used to ferry VIP's around would be classified as a lancia. Something like THESE:

https://www.modelerscentral.com/ship...aleniera-1850/

http://www.veniceboats.com/images/co...arca-terra.jpg

A Cornish pilot gig would, in Italy, be considered a lancia type.

So by that definition, the boats are a Launch or common or garden motorboat, not a lancia.

I know that there are a bewildering variety of local types in the Mediterranean and a few miles between ports will yield a different name for a type which only an expert could distinguish between the two. So no real help there. I'd describe the boat as something like its place of origin such as a Maltese launch, a Corsican motor boat or something along those lines without getting bogged down in the semantics. But I'm lazy like that! >};o)
    How does that square with the for hire lancia that I found? Not particularly slender or fast.
    The implication might be that lancia is a square sterned gozzo.

seems like most responses have overlooked the fact that the original poster already accepts that (in Italian) the boats are interchangeably referred to as 'gozzo' or 'lancia'

..but he asked about some possible English names for the type

that the two boats posted appear rather different adds to the confusion, i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    seems like most responses have overlooked the fact that the original poster already accepts that (in Italian) the boats are interchangeably referred to as 'gozzo' or 'lancia'

..but he asked about some possible English names for the type

that the two boats posted appear rather different adds to the confusion, i guess...
    In which case they are just motor launches or small work boats. It would help if Davide lets us know how they are to be used in the story.
    Depending on how they are used and where they could even be foy boats .

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    How does that square with the for hire lancia that I found? Not particularly slender or fast.
    The implication might be that lancia is a square sterned gozzo.
    The same reason that words change - for example "Cutter". Seeing how the name has been applied to different designs throughout history shows how the definition changes. Nowadays it refers to the rig ( 2 foresails and a mainsail) but has not always been.

if people are calling something a lancia right now, then unless the writer is setting his story in a specific period, it won't matter. But nonetheless, if he wishes to refer to a specific type of boat that is sleek and fast, then a general purpose motor boat that is similar to many mass produced boats seen around the world is not a traditional lancia. It could cause confusion.

Like a souped up four seat hatchback family car is now called a GTi - the "grand Touring" bit is a misnomer.

But I should work for that firm of Lawyers, Pick, Picky and Pedantic, eh? >};o)

Thank you all for the precious information.
    How about the term SKIFF, would this be considered appropriate in the English version of the story?
    In the story the boat is used by a lighthouse keeper as a means of transportation from the small island of the lighthouse to the mainland. In my idea it's very similar to the image with the larger boat and it is used to carry food, equipment, visitors.
    Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Davi View Post
    Thank you all for the precious information.
    How about the term SKIFF, would this be considered appropriate in the English version of the story?
    In the story the boat is used by a lighthouse keeper as a means of transportation from the small island of the lighthouse to the mainland. In my idea it's very similar to the image with the larger boat and it is used to carry food, equipment, visitors.
    Thank you again
    No, skiffs are not motorised. They are lightly built fine lined rowing boats.
    The role you describe makes her a "Lighthouse tender" or motor launch.

Ok, great! I'll go for motor launch.
    Davide