Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: While most people are impressed with Elon Musk....

Default Re: While most people are impressed with Elon Musk....

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I appears my wife thinks little of my present driving skills so we fly most of the time now.

When I was young, we used to drive 400 miles and spend 20 minutes to gas up and eat in the car. Now, I am only good for 200 miles. So 20 minutes to gas up. And we eat after some of the stops.

With a Tesla we would lose a couple hours of driving each day. That is a big deal for a lot of people. Especially when trying to outrun the snow.
    On the other hand - Generally if anyone who can afford a Tesla needs to go 400 miles, they fly then take Uber or have a private car waiting for them. Who wants to waste a day driving when one can be there in 1.5 hours well rested.

Driving a car long distance is now a choice because you want to see the landscape or your time is worth less than it costs to fly and taking a ride.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'd love to have a beer with a guy who's sent a car to Mars...
    I've already sent half a dozen cars to heaven- what are we drinking? JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    On the other hand - Generally if anyone who can afford a Tesla needs to go 400 miles, they fly then take Uber or have a private car waiting for them. Who wants to waste a day driving when one can be there in 1.5 hours well rested.

Driving a car long distance is now a choice because you want to see the landscape or your time is worth less than it costs to fly and taking a ride.
    I often have to spend a week at a client's. It's a 13 hour drive including a few pit/food stops. If I fly, counting driving to the airport, getting there early enough for TSA, flight #1, layover, flight #2, getting to & through rental car & the drive to the client's from the airport, it's a full 8 hours - sometimes more depending on layover times. Then there are delays, cancellations, etc. to deal with. 4 of the last 6 times I've flown I've had a minimum of 12 hours delay on the 2nd flight (damn LGA).

Rested? With all that to deal with? Never have landed feeling "rested" & I'm a very relaxed flyer. Sure, 1st class would help, but that's not in the cards. I've been driving far more often than flying over the last 6 months.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

This is what Elon Musk drives. Not sure of it's CO2 rating

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Starting a large scale automobile company from scratch was always a huge risk, when was the last time it was successfully done? After WW2, Kaiser couldnít pull it off, neither could Tucker. He may be many things, but Musk is not stupid, he knows what heís up against. What impresses me most about him, is that I donít think his primary concern is money, heís after something bigger than that.

I donít invest in the market, I have zero interest in it, it strikes me as just speculative money grubbing. In my own way though, I am a technologist, and when I see people doing amazing technological feats, doing things that others surely have told them canít be done, it thrills me.

When the Falcon Heavy went up the other day, I pulled over to the side of the road to watch it on my phone. I was towing a huge load of green pine lumber that had just been loaded at my Amish friends sawmill. I had the feeling of standing with one foot in the 19th century, the other in the 21st ó my eyes were not dry. That was a feeling I would never get from making a few bucks in the market, and I thank Elon for that.

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    Starting a large scale automobile company from scratch was always a huge risk, when was the last time it was successfully done? After WW2, Kaiser couldn’t pull it off, neither could Tucker. He may be many things, but Musk is not stupid, he knows what he’s up against. What impresses me most about him, is that I don’t think his primary concern is money, he’s after something bigger than that.

I don’t invest in the market, I have zero interest in it, it strikes me as just speculative money grubbing. In my own way though, I am a technologist, and when I see people doing amazing technological feats, doing things that others surely have told them can’t be done, it thrills me.

When the Falcon Heavy went up the other day, I pulled over to the side of the road to watch it on my phone. I was towing a huge load of green pine lumber that had just been loaded at my Amish friends sawmill. I had the feeling of standing with one foot in the 19th century, the other in the 21st — my eyes were not dry. That was a feeling I would never get from making a few bucks in the market, and I thank Elon for that.
    'zactly - all of it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Starting a large scale automobile company from scratch was always a huge risk, when was the last time it was successfully done? After WW2, Kaiser couldn’t pull it off, neither could Tucker. He may be many things, but Musk is not stupid, he knows what he’s up against. What impresses me most about him, is that I don’t think his primary concern is money, he’s after something bigger than that.

I don’t invest in the market, I have zero interest in it, it strikes me as just speculative money grubbing. In my own way though, I am a technologist, and when I see people doing amazing technological feats, doing things that others surely have told them can’t be done, it thrills me.

When the Falcon Heavy went up the other day, I pulled over to the side of the road to watch it on my phone. I was towing a huge load of green pine lumber that had just been loaded at my Amish friends sawmill. I had the feeling of standing with one foot in the 19th century, the other in the 21st — my eyes were not dry. That was a feeling I would never get from making a few bucks in the market, and I thank Elon for that.
    Might have mentioned Honda, which seems to have become relatively successful. The Falcon heavy certainly means Space X has caught up with Chrysler's efforts in the 1960s, which is quite impressive. Musk is a brilliant financier and marketer, with a focus on promoting dramatic technologies. That is an accomplishment all by itself.

I'll surely not take anything away from Soichiro Honda, he was an engineering and business genius without doubt. Honda though, like VW in Europe, had the "advantage" of starting from a level (leveled?) playing field after the war. That's not the case for Tesla, or the other examples I gave.

Starting a large scale automobile company from scratch was always a huge risk, when was the last time it was successfully done? After WW2, Kaiser couldnít pull it off, neither could Tucker. He may be many things, but Musk is not stupid, he knows what heís up against. What impresses me most about him, is that I donít think his primary concern is money, heís after something bigger than that.

I donít invest in the market, I have zero interest in it, it strikes me as just speculative money grubbing. In my own way though, I am a technologist, and when I see people doing amazing technological feats, doing things that others surely have told them canít be done, it thrills me.

When the Falcon Heavy went up the other day, I pulled over to the side of the road to watch it on my phone. I was towing a huge load of green pine lumber that had just been loaded at my Amish friends sawmill. I had the feeling of standing with one foot in the 19th century, the other in the 21st ó my eyes were not dry. That was a feeling I would never get from making a few bucks in the market, and I thank Elon for that.
    The Japanese largely pulled it off after WWII. With a little headstart in design, so did Volkswagon. Since then, although not starting from an empty company, KIA started in the 1970s, and Hyundai started in 1967. These latter two also entered the US quite late, 1990s. They have been successful.
    So your point is slightly overstated, but not by much. It is difficult. It is even more difficult now, more than ever, IMO because the auto industry is not broken, it is not in need of disruption. Quite the opposite. As far as big industries go, it is likely the best in that it has lots of competition, and the players are always forced to deliver a good quality product to market. They have very large R&D budgets and are very effective at doing their R&D, turning it all into viable products. You may say the ICE is in need of disruption, and I don't disagree. The problem for Tesla is that the existing car manufacturers are well positioned and very capable of doing this themselves. The only thing that holds them back is the market driven by the car buying public. As the public demands more, they will be there supplying them.

So it is almost impossible for Tesla to succeed as a major car manufacturer. As a battery company? Solar energy company? yes and yes. But that is not what they have been selling to the investing public.

If you want to watch an industry, in need of disruption, being disrupted by a new player, in real-time, you don't have to look far: space rocket launching is being disrupted by Musk's other company SpaceX. Which is why you pulled over to watch. Which doesn't need to be public to get funding. That should tell us something.

Is Musk's primary concern money? I don't know. I do know he has proven a master at selling something to wall street that will never succeed.

ETA: now, Tesla has certainly served a beneficial purpose to the car industry and society as a whole, they have pushed the envelop ahead for electric cars. Likely the EC industry is further along now because of them.

Perfectly said! We need people like Musk to show us what can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by S/V Laura Ellen View Post
    So for my trip home of 1283 miles that would be 6+ hours of charge time.
    Better add another day to the trip.
    Well, if you try to make it in 2 days it's 12 hours of driving each day vs 15 hours. I may still be good for 8 hours per day, but I doubt I want to do more.

So, yes, it adds almost a day. In the process you drive a cool car, burn no gas, and take a little more time to enjoy your traveling companion. This may not be something you want, but if time is of the essence there is always the plane.

The real point is that gasoline will soon be a thing of the past. It's not a matter of what you want so much as what you can have. I can live with the extra 6 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Well, if you try to make it in 2 days it's 12 hours of driving each day vs 15 hours. I may still be good for 8 hours per day, but I doubt I want to do more.

So, yes, it adds almost a day. In the process you drive a cool car, burn no gas, and take a little more time to enjoy your traveling companion. This may not be something you want, but if time is of the essence there is always the plane.

The real point is that gasoline will soon be a thing of the past. It's not a matter of what you want so much as what you can have. I can live with the extra 6 hours.
    If one is making a road trip alone, they produce about twice the co2 per passenger mile in a car (at 20 mpg) than a plane. Of course more riding in the car improves that proportionately. So the plane really isn't that great of an option.

I'll surely not take anything away from Soichiro Honda, he was an engineering and business genius without doubt. Honda though, like VW in Europe, had the "advantage" of starting from a level (leveled?) playing field after the war. That's not the case for Tesla, or the other examples I gave.
    I mentioned Honda because it was a startup, unlike most of the other Japanese auto companies. I think Hyundai is another one. Virtually all the rest were making cars before WWII, then back to car postwar. The attrition came mainly from postwar consolidation. FWIW, Tucker did quite well making aircraft engines after the car effort failed--something he was doing before cars.