Thread: Groom Service Phase 3

Default Groom Service Phase 3

As we are approaching 700 clients and growing at 50+ new customers a month I'm thinking about the next level.

We are running 7 days a week with 2 vans and 3 groomers, by summer I think I will hire 2 more groomers and a 3rd van. Once we get to the third van we are going to need an central location. I'm looking at local office / warehouse space.

Here is one I looked at. The office space is more than I need. I'm thinking of putting in a room for a grooming school / lower price grooming shop. The price is damn attractive. 2024 total sq ft - broken down at 600 downstairs, 524 upstairs and 900 warehouse I negotiated ( just because I like to negotiate ) $0.10 - 0.15 off the $1.35 per Sqr ft price which includes trash & water. So at $1.25 per sqr ft we are at $2,500. I figure I can fit 4-5 vans inside and another 4-5 outside. 3 year lease.

GROOM SERVICE CORPORATE OFFICE

IMG_5918.jpg

IMG_5919.jpg

IMG_5920.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

IMG_5923.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Groom Service Phase 3

This is the upstairs office that I really don't need but is sexy as hell . If I can get just a one level unit we will be at $1,800 per month

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_5927.jpg

Just a quick thought - don't go overboard. Overhead doesn't pay for anything. You need space to keep supplies and equipment - that is a given. I'd want either parking area secured by a fence for the vans or a garage space for them - they're a significant investment. Do you need the office space there, or are you better off writing off the use of a portion of your living space as an expense for the time being? Doesn't seem to me that with your business model you have clients "walking through the door" for things. If I'm mistaken in that assumption, you may want the office and maybe even a "fixed" grooming location.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    This is the upstairs office that I really don't need but is sexy as hell . If I can get just a one level unit we will be at $1,800 per month

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_5927.jpg

I could live up there....

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I could live up there....
    If you did then you could be freshly groomed every morning!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Sometimes it's not necessarily good to be too big Joe. At what point are you happy with it?

Managing growth is going to be the big problem moving forward. Standardising everything in a central location with a minimum of "Fixed" expense. The goal would be to hire a reception / booker / scheduler. A kid to clean stock, fill and get the vans ready ( when we have 10 or more I will need a fleet manager ) yada yada yada grow grow grow. New goal is OWN LA to SD

I thought first grooming had something to do with horses, then secondly maybe someting to do with dogs, then unfortunately it is now a term to describe the actions of sexual preditors who deliberately mislead young people into a circle of sometimes paedophilic encounters usually through social media contact. I bet you could be getting some interesting emails. Jo So Cal don't go to the North of England and advertise yourself as a groomer Old Bill and a bunch of vengeful types would be down on you like a ton of bricks...

So to the point , what is it you groom that needs all that office space....stables?, kennels ? just askin'
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Vans parked in a garage can't make money out on the road, but they can also be worked on and maintained and protected. Yeah sure, makes sense. The grooming school seems like a whole other risk tacked onto a very workable model.

I'm curious how much time will be lost in making groomers come to the mothership to check out their van versus just having them take the van home so they can head out straight to their first client of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Vans parked in a garage can't make money out on the road, but they can also be worked on and maintained and protected. Yeah sure, makes sense. The grooming school seems like a whole other risk tacked onto a very workable model.

I'm curious how much time will be lost in making groomers come to the mothership to check out their van versus just having them take the van home so they can head out straight to their first client of the day.
    Well put - Joe, how much travel time would it be for your groomers from residence to garage to first appointment ?

Rick

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I understand love for pets.
    But I did not see this coming,this level of consumerism for pets.
    Not just your thing Joe, But big chain stores in malls (Mud Bay), for pet baubles.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If it doesn't work out, you can always go back to the old business model.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post

That plus the additional mileage. In the LA area, I'd think that driving time versus driving miles could be killer.

I see the other issue being trying to maintain a consistent level of service throughout a larger business. That will be key, as you already well know.

Plus - how many groomings do you need to do to pay for all of that rent?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

It's a multi billion dollar business and we are currently CRUSHING the local mom and pop competition.

The number one reason to have a central location and not have the groomers take the vans home is that it ruins the vans. They never treat the vans like their own. As it is I trade them out every other week so I can run diagnostics and maintenance and just inspect cleanliness. I also want the groomers to be comfortable with all the vans we design them to be exactly the same and I don't want them tarting them up with personal effects. The brand is very important to us. Thats why I have uniforms and policies in place. A central location lets me logistically schedule from a single location out. It also makes workers drive to a central location get their vans and go out and come back and have them cleaned and inspected and filled for the following days work.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Plus - how many groomings do you need to do to pay for all of that rent?
    I call it my GPD index It would be about 20 groomings to pay the rent. Currently we are doing over 300 groomings a month, almost $40,000 per month gross.

What modifications have to be made to the building to accomadate any sort of grooming on site?
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Seems like a no brainer. Could you sublet the office space for a while if you needed to?

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    What modifications have to be made to the building to accomadate any sort of grooming on site?
    Install a stainless steel tub. Everything else I would order exactly the same dryers, vacuums and table that we use in the vans. The idea being to teach and train groomers to work on the mobile van and all it systems. I would also add a rubberized flooring.

Seriously I'm fascinated ...multi-milion dólar business...? dogs ?, cats ?, parrotts ?Koi carp ? I never had a pet that needed grooming. Horses, yes.....A few times I have had to throw the mutt in the pond or even the shower cos they'd rolled in some unspeakable spoor or dead thing. but grooming, like, going to the barbers?
    what a world we live in .
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Seriously I'm fascinated ...multi-milion dólar business...? dogs ?, cats ?, parrotts ?Koi carp ? I never had a pet that needed grooming. Horses, yes.....A few times I have had to throw the mutt in the pond or even the shower cos they'd rolled in some unspeakable spoor or dead thing. but grooming, like, going to the barbers?
    what a world we live in .
    Just Dogs and cats

We currently have about 30 WEEKLY customers that get their dogs groomed at $140 + tip once a week.
    Of course they live in places like this

Install a stainless steel tub. Everything else I would order exactly the same dryers, vacuums and table that we use in the vans. The idea being to teach and train groomers to work on the mobile van and all it systems. I would also add a rubberized flooring.
    Would you be installing any kennels for while the dogs wait? Also, if you have dogs there, is there a place to walk them for a potty break?

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Would you be installing any kennels for while the dogs wait? Also, if you have dogs there, is there a place to walk them for a potty break?
    Yes & Yes. But this is going to be a one station grooming school / salon so a small kennel wall for about 10 dogs max.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    I never had a pet that needed grooming.

Likewise. The cats take care of themselves, rather obsessively, in fact. Hey, whatever works. Congratulations, Joe, it seems like things are going well.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Likewise. The cats take care of themselves, rather obsessively, in fact. Hey, whatever works.
    Just booked a ragdoll for saturday at noon for $125 + tip. Client was thrilled that we were so highly rated for our cat grooming on yelp.

Personally I'm extremely allergic to cats.

If you have extra space, you might be able to lease it to a dog trainer for obedience classes.

I call it my GPD index It would be about 20 groomings to pay the rent. Currently we are doing over 300 groomings a month, almost $40,000 per month gross.
    I would be concerned about the net but ...

The rent does not seem a significant expense - $8/grooming. Or maybe it is. (Probably a rounding error in your budget.)
    Life is complex.

So, you are locking in a $90,000 fixed cost (plus outgoings, such as electricity).

How else can you provide the value that this facility will add to your business?

Price up three others... base case (how you do it now), and two more.... say a smaller central location (just a shopfront), and some other way of doing it... sub-contracted vehicle storage or something. Look at the pros and cons of each.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Didn't you mention that your current worker is 1099? Having workers start the day at a central office and still be on 1099 seems kind of icky.

Just booked a ragdoll for saturday at noon for $125 + tip. Client was thrilled that we were so highly rated for our cat grooming on yelp.

Personally I'm extremely allergic to cats.
    "cat grooming on yelp" made me laugh out loud.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Managing growth is going to be the big problem moving forward. Standardising everything in a central location with a minimum of "Fixed" expense. The goal would be to hire a reception / booker / scheduler. A kid to clean stock, fill and get the vans ready ( when we have 10 or more I will need a fleet manager ) yada yada yada grow grow grow. New goal is OWN LA to SD
    The number one reason to have a central location and not have the groomers take the vans home is that it ruins the vans. They never treat the vans like their own. As it is I trade them out every other week so I can run diagnostics and maintenance and just inspect cleanliness. I also want the groomers to be comfortable with all the vans we design them to be exactly the same and I don't want them tarting them up with personal effects. The brand is very important to us. Thats why I have uniforms and policies in place. A central location lets me logistically schedule from a single location out. It also makes workers drive to a central location get their vans and go out and come back and have them cleaned and inspected and filled for the following days work.
    Here is one I looked at. The office space is more than I need. I'm thinking of putting in a room for a grooming school / lower price grooming shop. The price is damn attractive. 2024 total sq ft - broken down at 600 downstairs, 524 upstairs and 900 warehouse I negotiated ( just because I like to negotiate ) $0.10 - 0.15 off the $1.35 per Sqr ft price which includes trash & water. So at $1.25 per sqr ft we are at $2,500. I figure I can fit 4-5 vans inside and another 4-5 outside. 3 year lease.

GROOM SERVICE CORPORATE OFFICE

You know, I don't think I could believe this without some experience living in SoCal. Gold nuggets can be within reasonable reach with a growth plan like Joe has shared with us. The idea of a strong brand recognition has worked before.

And as nice as that patio office with pool close by is, I'm not too sure that the plan can work from there with all of the assets required.

And the patio/pool will always be there!

Go for it!
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington