Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: You’re born in 1820–where would you live and what would you do?

Default You’re born in 1820–where would you live and what would you do?

Some will remember another thread I started with a similar subject, but that one had us living in the 18th century.

To head off some things...you are still you, you are lucky enough to live a long, healthy life, and you can start out your life in our little thought experiment being born wherever you want.

As I mentioned above, you are still the same type of person, so if you hate puppies and love cats, or if you have constant dark sadistic thoughts, it’s reasonable to assume that your 19th century self would probably share these feelings—and to some degree it might have been easier to be submerged by your base instincts in an earlier time.

So have at it, but at least try to see yourself through the constraints of 19th century culture and attitudes. It isn’t easy to do.

Jeff C

Default Re: You’re born in 1820–where would you live and what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Do you mean what would you want to do and where would you want to live, or what would you likely do if you were born at random?
    The way to look at it is your choice...

Jeff C

Right here thanks - the developing settlement in Australia. I'd probably be a trader of some kind.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Smith I am sure, I'm good at it now and think I would be good at it then.

However, my politics may have gotten me into trouble back then...
    PaulF

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

My 3 G grandfather on my fathers side was born in South Carolina to a family that did own some slaves. Right after the Creek Indians were removed, he moved to Tennessee along the Tennessee River a bit north of the boundary between Alabama and Mississippi. I think he was a farmer. I wonder if I would have done about the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Smith I am sure, I'm good at it now and think I would be good at it then.

However, my politics may have gotten me into trouble back then...
    Politics got a lot of people into trouble back then.

It’s very difficult to know how our attitudes would be altered by the culture of the time.

Jeff C
    Last edited by leikec; 02-07-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Politics got a lot of people into trouble back then.

Jeff C
    Yes indeed sir!
    PaulF

going by what I do for a living now, at my age. I would probably be in one of the big cities as a retired sailor. Right now I work behind the scenes doing stage work. While a Stage Electrician would be out of the question in 1820, I could still be a stagehand, and the majority of them were retired sailors.

Like my ancestor about that time , I'd be setting myself up as a bullock team trainer and driver in Tasmania.
    He did well.
    Rob J.

Parallel parking is my true calling. I’d be SOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Parallel parking is my true calling. I’d be SOL.

Nope...wagons and carriages have to be parked as well, so you have a bright future ahead of you...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Like my ancestor about that time , I'd be setting myself up as a bullock team trainer and driver in Tasmania.
    He did well.
    Rob J.
    My maternal-side grandfather was a bullocky on the Dorrigo about half way back to the desired timeframe. Don't know if this is him or not, but he'd certainly have known this guy.

I think this shot was in Coramba... again, his territory about then.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I think I'd like to have a small town job like postmaster or stationmaster, maybe an hour outside NYC or Boston.
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

I was a printer as an apprentice, still can hand set type, run a printing machine, guillotine etc, write copy. I'd be a newspaperman, or in the black gang…the printers.

I think , no I know , that the 1820-40's were a very harsh time , certainly in Australia , probably everywhere.
    But I've trained 2 bullock teams of my own , and driven a team of 16 hauling logs , and ploughed with a team of twelve.
    My ancestor was driving his own bullock team in Southern Tasmania in the 1840's.
    Matching what I know in bullock driving and training now , and the realities of the 1840's isn't easy.
    I think I would be in for a hell of a shock , if I was cast back in to those days.
    Rob J.

I would have chosen to be my great-great/grandfather, who was born in that year, and who had a nice enough life, but I would have chosen the career path that I did take, which would have brought me into the merchant shipping industry and into East Asia at a time when things were developing very fast.

This is my great-great-grandparents’ sixtieth wedding anniversary, in 1906, and the blond little boy with curly hair, sitting cross legged in the foreground, in front of his great-grandfather, is my father, aged three.

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 02-07-2018 at 06:10 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Pirate

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I would have no legal standing past what my nearest male relative granted me.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

so, pirate wench it is. . .

arrrr!

Bronze caster and blacksmith ,probably Sydney . Waterfront sites would be reasonably priced.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

In my parents' house as a dependent spinster and carer; in my husband's house as a wife, doing sex, childcare, housekeeping....; in my own house as a wealthy widow; in somebody else's house as a servant; in somebody else's house as a governess; in somebody else's house as a mistress (for a while); in a convent as a nun; in a brothel as a whore; in the workhouse as a pauper......

Whatever is was, I don't suppose I would have much choice in the matter.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    In my parents' house as a dependent spinster and carer; in my husband's house as a wife, doing sex, childcare, housekeeping....; in my own house as a wealthy widow; in somebody else's house as a servant; in somebody else's house as a governess; in somebody else's house as a mistress (for a while); in a convent as a nun; in a brothel as a whore; in the workhouse as a pauper......

Straight out of a Jane Austin novel. . .

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post

hmm...

born in 1820...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale

By no means the stock character that we make her out to be, but you may object that she was independently wealthy and she never married,in which case how about these conventionally middle class daughters, born a little later but in the circumstances that you outline:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millicent_Fawcett

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soong_Ching-ling

the last was not only the model for Arthur Ransome’s “Missee Lee”, but died as President of China. She was probably the only woman to stand no nonsense from Mao Tsetung
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    hmm...

born in 1820...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale

By no means the stock character that we make her out to be, but you may object that she was independently wealthy and she never married,in which case how about these conventionally middle class daughters, born a little later but in the circumstances that you outline:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millicent_Fawcett

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soong_Ching-ling

the last was not only the model for Arthur Ransome’s “Missee Lee”, but died as President of China. She was probably the only woman to stand no nonsense from Mao Tsetung
    Hey - isn't this supposed to be ourselves we are talking about? Would have, not might have! If I could revolutionise the nursing profession, found a new college at Cambridge, inspired a transformational women's movement etc. don't you think I might have done it by now???

Apart from a pirate or two, everyone else has done realistic, so I claim the right to do realistic too. My beloved granny (probably born in the late eighteen seventies) and I always said we would sail around the Horn together. She would have loved sailing. And I haven't even done that with anyone yet! I'm just glad I didn't get born in 1820. More fun to be had now.

Edited to add - it might have been quite a classy brothel, mind you. One of my ancestors, who probably lived around the time in question, had a flat in Mayfair and used to receive cabinet ministers, luminaries of the Lords etc. But, still, not quite my cup of tea.
    Last edited by downthecreek; 02-07-2018 at 08:07 AM.

OK, I'll play. In the 20th century I was born into relatively comfortable circumstances; my father a Methodist minister/sociologist/college professor, so let's duplicate that. I'll pick the neighborhood of Boston (Chicago didn't exist yet). Damn, I could go over to Concord and hang out with Emerson and the Transcendentalists! Maybe convince Margaret Fuller to marry me (she had a thing for younger guys) so she wouldn't go to Europe and die in a shipwreck, allow her to really fulfill her potential, change history. But that's maybe too much of a fantasy. I could do some work with early steam engine development; I'm pretty good at that kind of thing.

But statistically, the odds are I'd probably be born on a farm, live and die farming, maybe move west.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Id prolly follow the lead set by my great grand father—toiling in some location in Europe, Then in 1888 I board a ship for the US where I continue to toil.
    Last edited by CK 17; 02-07-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

At about that time my ancestor was getting married in Portsea, so I may have been a shipwright or chandler.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hopefully I would have hopped on a Clipper Ship for San Francisco and the Gold Rush in 1848-1849!

If I foolishly stayed East, I would have likely been cut down by a Minnie ball in a Virginia wheat field or died of dysentery in a swamp out side Richmond.

No thanks!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

ACB I thought my Dad was old, born in 1909 and siring me when he was forty six...!! glad to see someone else who probably went through those ' Your grandad's outside to meet you...' scenarios at school gates etc

As to the post question, my maternal great great grandfather was to quote the parish register 'born in a field ' about 1820. there's fair bit of pikey blood in there , hotley denied by the various aunts who went on to have ideas above their station.

By 1840 he was a Thames lighterman who then married a woman whose father was the first Harbourmaster of Lisbon. a post connected to the loathed British installed governor after Wellington's victory in the Peninsular Wars.
    So I could claim a watery ancestry, and might well have followed that route then, almost certainly London or South England ....
    By choice, it would be different.... I would be good to think I had seen the changes in sea merchantry, and had gone on to make my fame and fortune alongside I K Brunel et al. steam, steel.
    Most likely would be running a pub on the Isle of Dogs though and frequenting the limehouse opium dens. A nod to my mum who adored everything Dickens wrote and read them repetitively. Don't get on CD with myself, but do like some of the characters.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

I would probably be a Chesapeake Bay waterman with all my distant relatives.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Funny how all the men have all the opportunities. My opportunities in 1820 would have been severly limited. Everything from my place in society to the cloths I would have to wear would be confinined to a man's needs and wants.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Good point. I wouldn't want to be born in 1820 for a fair number of reasons, but I REALLY wouldn't want to be born female.

Thus my mention of Margaret Fuller - someone with as good a mind as Emerson and Thoreau (at least), part of their circle, but with two X chromosomes. Had she been born even 50 years later, much less 100, she'd probably be a name everyone would recognize.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Kat is right! But, if I was born male in 1820, I probably live in the same town my parents did and as his grandparents did. If my family was even middle class, may have gone to college but, even for the middle class it was rare. If I was the 1st son, and my father was a lawyer, would probably follow in his footsteps. If I was the 2nd, probably would have joined the ministry.
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 02-07-2018 at 01:10 PM.

I hope I would have been fiddling with steam engines. SS Great Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Good point. I wouldn't want to be born in 1820 for a fair number of reasons, but I REALLY wouldn't want to be born female.
    But just think! You could have been the mother of modern nursing! I'm sure there are lots of other opportunities as well. A veritable Golden Age for all of womanhood! What are a few restrictions in dress and career possibilities to compare with being the mother of modern nursing?