Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian Cheese

Default Re: Australian Cheese

My bad. I must keep seeing Old Croc and reaching past it in the store. I've been trying Welsh, Irish, and Scottish cheddars lately and enjoying them greatly!

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Indeed. Looking at the label, I think you've got it.

They don't do smoked cheeses in Oz? We certainly do here. There are a mess of award-winning artisinal cheese makers in Oregon. And several of them smoke various of their offerings. And I've seen friends fill their smokers with good Tillamook (the largest and oldest of local cheese operations) sharp cheddar. I like the flavor a lot.
    They'll smoke anything in Oz. Way back when I knew the love of cheeses King Island Smoked Cheddar was a favorite.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

how about some Red Leicester?
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    They'll smoke anything in Oz. Way back when I knew the love of cheeses King Island Smoked Cheddar was a favorite.
    I'd forgotten about that one! Now there's a brand that's probably available overseas and certainly worth trying - King Island. Great cheeses!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'd forgotten about that one! Now there's a brand that's probably available overseas and certainly worth trying - King Island. Great cheeses!

Rick
    Definite thumbs up there.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

What are smallgoods?
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    What are smallgoods?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallgoods

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Wild guess from the little I can find out....made by a larger dairy manufacturer in Oz somewhere....probably...marketed and branded for sale in the US by Trugman-Nash....and...and....they're from Noo Joisey

It was a long time ago but i bought tomatoes here in oregon and they came from a town we lived in, in jersey..

By the way people there just say, jersey... never the new nor joisey...

Tomatoes are some of the best there.

I but tillimook curds but i call them turds. Just for fun.

Best cheese around.

The whole county smells like cow poo thought.

They have machine spreaders that whirl poo around for the grass i guess.

Well... I've got to hit the cheesemongers soon anyway, as I'm planning on inventing a pizza my sweetie can swallow. The crust will be cauliflower, as she doesn't really like wheat. The cheese will be goat or sheep, as she can't digest cow's milk well. So I'll also keep any eye open for something interesting from Oz or New Zealand.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

If you are doing pizza use real Australian Mozzarella cheese http://shawriverbuffalo.com/our-range/.
    The owner Roger is also a passionate fisherman , and owns and sponsors whale boats and old ships boats.
    For sheeps milk try Aussie Island Pure , Meredith Dairy , or Grandvewe Cheeses.
    But I'd go for Shaw River .
    Regards Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    If you are doing pizza use real Australian Mozzarella cheese http://shawriverbuffalo.com/our-range/.
    The owner Roger is also a passionate fisherman , and owns and sponsors whale boats and old ships boats.
    For sheeps milk try Aussie Island Pure , Meredith Dairy , or Grandvewe Cheeses.
    But I'd go for Shaw River .
    Regards Rob J.
    Thanks. I've jotted a note.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Well... I've got to hit the cheesemongers soon anyway, as I'm planning on inventing a pizza my sweetie can swallow. The crust will be cauliflower, as she doesn't really like wheat. The cheese will be goat or sheep, as she can't digest cow's milk well. So I'll also keep any eye open for something interesting from Oz or New Zealand.
    Might be worth trying spelt flour for the base, and for bread and etc. my wife doesn't have a gluten intolerance/allergy, but does react badly to modern wheat. She's fine with spelt flour.

I actually grew spelt for a few years.
    It is an ancient grain , quite different to wheat , and good for humans and stock.
    I would certainly do some research David , or just , as Phil suggests , give it a try.
    I don't know how it will go on Pizza , it has different properties to wheat , but yep , give it a try.
    Regards Rob J.

Are y'all sure you spelt that right?? <G> Might just.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Actually , I bought some spelt flour in Portland Oregon , used it for a damper , when trekking in the Deschutes National Park.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    I actually grew spelt for a few years.
    It is an ancient grain , quite different to wheat , and good for humans and stock.
    I would certainly do some research David , or just , as Phil suggests , give it a try.
    I don't know how it will go on Pizza , it has different properties to wheat , but yep , give it a try.
    Regards Rob J.
    it makes an excellent pizza crust. Good shortcrust pastry too.

Sadly, my closest cheesemonger did not have anything from Oz in stock. Nor from NZ. She said they often do, and almost always have some Kiwi bleu cheese in the cooler... just not y'day. <sigh> I'll try another. Did find a tasty Scottish arpea de brebis for the pizza. Now to ferret out some sheepsmilk mozzarella.

Also found a variety of sharp cheddar I hadn't tried before. Aged 7 years, from Novak in Wisconsin. Looking forward to both.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Mozzarella should be made with buffalo milk !.
    Rob J.

We had a cheese with lunch yesterday that had pieces of cranberry through it. Delicious! Had family visiting so the whole lot was devoured. Wife doesn't remember what brand it was, but reckons she can find it again when she goes grocery shopping in a couple of weeks. Something to look forward to. JayInOz

Was this it Jay ?https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...berries-cheese .
    It should be made with sheeps milk.
    Regards Rob J.