Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Cheese

Default Australian Cheese

I'm curious. Do any of our Upside-downian friends know what I have?

I picked up a small chunk of "Old Croc" - a smoked sharp cheddar from Oz. Is this a good example of Aussie cheesemaking? I'm finding it quite tasty.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Australian Cheese

Australia's a pretty big producer of cheese and other dairy products. Some people say that some of the European cheeses have more flavour as they can avoid using pasteurised milk. As far as I know, this isn't allowed in Australia. But I'm a bit of a cheese fan and I think Australian cheeses are consistently good. I can't say I like the sound of a `smoked sharp cheddar' and I haven't heard of `Old Croc' but I'll have a look and see what I can find out .....

Rick

Wild guess from the little I can find out....made by a larger dairy manufacturer in Oz somewhere....probably...marketed and branded for sale in the US by Trugman-Nash....and...and....they're from Noo Joisey
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Wild guess from the little I can find out....made by a larger dairy manufacturer in Oz somewhere....probably...marketed and branded for sale in the US by Trugman-Nash....and...and....they're from Noo Joisey
    Indeed. Looking at the label, I think you've got it.

They don't do smoked cheeses in Oz? We certainly do here. There are a mess of award-winning artisinal cheese makers in Oregon. And several of them smoke various of their offerings. And I've seen friends fill their smokers with good Tillamook (the largest and oldest of local cheese operations) sharp cheddar. I like the flavor a lot.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'm a hobby qualified cheese maker , and yes , Australian cheeses are at a very high standard.
    Years ago I was doing a course at the Dairy Institute at Werribee when a European participant raised the subject of the use of non pasteurised milk in cheesemaking to the head of the Institute.
    The boss left her in no doubt that the reason for the ban on the use of unpasteurised milk was safety , simply put Australians , unlike Europeans were not used to some of the bacteria that could be present.
    It was also at a time when a number of people had died , because of food poisoning from smallgoods.
    The producers of the affected smallgoods never recovered , and went broke.
    The Dairy Institute was trying to avoid that scenario , with cheeses.
    Since then , the rules have been relaxed http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-1...change/6383784 , and some quality cheeses from raw milk have been made.
    I can remember going in to a huge store in Portland Oregon in 2000 , and going to look at the cheeses available.
    There was SFA.
    Everything was made of cows milk, no sheep milk , no goat or buffalo milk.
    Mozzarella cheese made from cows milk , not buffalo milk FFS !.
    The people I was with asked a lady for some help , but she wasn't hearing my question , just my accent .
    She couldn't help us.
    So yes , Australian cheesemakers do make a quality product , with an extensive range.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    I'm a hobby qualified cheese maker , and yes , Australian cheeses are at a very high standard.
    Years ago I was doing a course at the Dairy Institute at Werribee when a European participant raised the subject of the use of non pasteurised milk in cheesemaking to the head of the Institute.
    The boss left her in no doubt that the reason for the ban on the use of unpasteurised milk was safety , simply put Australians , unlike Europeans were not used to some of the bacteria that could be present.
    It was also at a time when a number of people had died , because of food poisoning from smallgoods.
    The producers of the affected smallgoods never recovered , and went broke.
    The Dairy Institute was trying to avoid that scenario , with cheeses.
    Since then , the rules have been relaxed http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-1...change/6383784 , and some quality cheeses from raw milk have been made.
    I can remember going in to a huge store in Portland Oregon in 2000 , and going to look at the cheeses available.
    There was SFA.
    Everything was made of cows milk, no sheep milk , no goat or buffalo milk.
    Mozzarella cheese made from cows milk , not buffalo milk FFS !.
    The people I was with asked a lady for some help , but she wasn't hearing my question , just my accent .
    She couldn't help us.
    So yes , Australian cheesemakers do make a quality product , with an extensive range.
    Rob J.
    I've certainly been impressed by the 'Croc'... and have no trouble believing that Oz cheeses are worth exploring.

Yes, the supermarkets around here don't have much of a history of good cheese selections. Even the Tillamook cheese they carry is mostly the 'mild' and 'medium' cheddars. None of their 'sharp' or 'extra sharp'... or their other decent varieties. But I do have to say they've gotten 'some' better in the last couple of decades.

But the local hippy health-food stores have always done a better job. And there are deli's that offer some very good cheeses. And, best of all, there are specialty cheese shops that carry only excellent product, and a wide variety to boot. Or, if you visit them in person, most local cheese-makers are happy to sell you anything from a pound to a round. Here's a sampling --

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/10/o...-portland.html

http://oregonprogress.oregonstate.ed...artisan-cheese
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Yes - I'm a bit of a fan of the Aussie cheeses. Haven't seen Old Croc. Had a selection of half a dozen nice cheeses at a mate's place last night. I prefer the Stiltons and Blues... but am a bit intolerant (food sensistivity wise) of the latter.

I appear to have had a sensitivity issue to the wine we consumed too.... some fine Aussie drops... because I couldn't hold the camera steady. I can definitely recommend you try a bottle or two of Penfold's Grange with our Aussie cheeses next time.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

All sorts of small and medium cheesemakers in regional areas make a stunning variety, and quality, of cheese including our neighbour who had a purpose built cheese room installed in the bowels of their new house. Most production runs are unlikely to be big enough to ever be exported.
    Farmers markets often have several makers too, do you have such events?.

I guess my Oregon city hosts should have tried the small specialty stores , but truth be known , while I was there , if it wasn't in the Portland big store , they didn't buy it.
    But I was used to my small town store having a BIG selection of cheeses , and wines and beers.
    It was probably a 1/4 or less the size of the Portland store , but the selection was 4 times the size.
    I couldn't believe the lack of choice !.
    But yes , I didn't think of a specialty store.
    I'm sure things have changed since then.
    I was also in an association of sheep dairymen , at the time when the country imported a lot of new sheep breeds in from NZ , including dairy breeds.
    There had been a lot of selective breeding and upgrading of predominately merino dairy flocks , one sheep dairy on KGI had 1000 milking ewes , but the importation and release of breeds like the East Friesian made a big difference.
    Regards Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I've certainly been impressed by the 'Croc'... and have no trouble believing that Oz cheeses are worth exploring.

Yes, the supermarkets around here don't have much of a history of good cheese selections. Even the Tillamook cheese they carry is mostly the 'mild' and 'medium' cheddars. None of their 'sharp' or 'extra sharp'... or their other decent varieties. But I do have to say they've gotten 'some' better in the last couple of decades.

But the local hippy health-food stores have always done a better job. And there are deli's that offer some very good cheeses. And, best of all, there are specialty cheese shops that carry only excellent product, and a wide variety to boot. Or, if you visit them in person, most local cheese-makers are happy to sell you anything from a pound to a round. Here's a sampling --

Farmers markets are the making of a lot of smaller , top quality makers of cheeses , and smallgoods.
    A friend , actually my BD mentor , for many years sold his BD pork at a premium to a local butcher , as "organic" pork.
    It was a winner for the producer , and the butcher.
    Now his children butcher the pork , process some , and then head to the local farmers markets selling it for what it is , BD pork and smallgoods.
    Most of the meat is pre-ordered , but the rest is sold within an hour or so.
    They get really good money for their top quality produce.
    We used to go to the farmers market at Dunkeld , it was always top quality .
    Rob J.

MCT Dairies, a US company, make Old Croc, in Australia. I don't think you can buy it here though. Yes, there are plenty of other smoked cheeses available and produced here. I quite like them too.

There are a lot of US food companies in Australia. Perhaps with US politics going the way it is, MCT will start making Old Croc in Wisconsin? I've never been to Oregon but I certainly found a good variety of cheese etc. in Boston and New York!

Rick

I wish I could eat more cheeses. Cheddar is about the limit of what I can consume. Sadly as a migraine sufferer, aged cheeses are a trigger for me

Art , try BD (Biodynamic) cheeses.
    I know in the wines , BD wines are often drank by people who suffer badly , with conventional wines.
    Regards Rob J.

I do love cheese. I've often thought that if I knew I was going to die tomorrow, I'd go to a good delicatessen, buy all my favourite cheeses and a couple of loaves of fresh sourdough, and consume the lot.

Rick

Best do that anyway, just in case. I'd suggest a visit to the wine shop as well.

No, I'm trying to keep my wardrobe current by eating less bread, and I don't really like wine all that much. I sort of like having a glass every now and then but I really don't understand all the fuss over wine.

Rick

You keep your wardrobe current by buying new clothes.

Is this threads drift?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    No, I'm trying to keep my wardrobe current by eating less bread, and I don't really like wine all that much. I sort of like having a glass every now and then but I really don't understand all the fuss over wine.

Rick
    We used to have a fantastic meadery here, using many varieties of local honey, and making many types of mead- sweet, medium sweet, dry, spiced etc. Some people used to reckon they weren't all that keen on it, and I'd tell them that by the time we finished the second bottle they'd love the stuff The meadery pulled up stumps- still don't know why. JayInOz

I didn't know a meadery was called a meadery. I thought it was called something like a 16th century monastery.

Rick

The Co Op store in PT has some good cheeses, I even saw some New Zealand extra mature cheddar there, bought it of course, a mouthful was like a visit back to home. I asked why there was not more imported cheese and the lady told me that it was hard to sell cheese that was not coloured orange to Americans. She couldnt tell me why so much USA cheese was that colour.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Is this threads drift?

Rick
    Not really. It was quite cheesy

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    The Co Op store in PT has some good cheeses, I even saw some New Zealand extra mature cheddar there, bought it of course, a mouthful was like a visit back to home. I asked why there was not more imported cheese and the lady told me that it was hard to sell cheese that was not coloured orange to Americans. She couldnt tell me why so much USA cheese was that colour.

John Welsford
    Orange cheese? Eeeew.

From the land that brought us Watties Baked Beans!
    Also orange!

And the whitebait omelette!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Orange cheese? Eeeew.
    They have an orange president, so why not?

Rick

We have a small local producer called Cheeses Loves You.
    https://www.australiancheese.org/members/?id=168
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

John Welsford
    In The Netherlands cheese was colored orange with carrot to make it look different from other cheese. The Dutch in the past exported the best cheese and ate cheaper Irish cheese themself.
    Cheese made by farmers is stil made with unpasteurised milk and pregnant women are advised to avoid it but cheese older then 3 months does not have the bactery Listeria anymore.

John Welsford
    Yes, it does. Most co-ops in the region do.

Here's my local cheesemonger, to illustrate what a specialty cheese shop is like here. I'm sure they've had over 100 varieties every time I've gone in. I've seen both Oz & Kiwi cheeses there, but haven't tried 'em. Now I will.

http://www.cheese-bar.com/

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Does she also stock Friese Nagelkaas? I just bought some very old cheese and I can cut it only with my Opinel

I have some Old Croc in my frig right now, but I've not opened it yet.

I have been enjoying a cheese and sausage plate in the evenings lately and I've got a large number of locally available (and many locally made) cheeses to choose from. It's a wonderful snack before dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I have some Old Croc in my frig right now, but I've not opened it yet.

I have been enjoying a cheese and sausage plate in the evenings lately and I've got a large number of locally available (and many locally made) cheeses to choose from. It's a wonderful snack before dinner.
    Is it the same 'smoked sharp cheddar' - or do they offer other varieties also?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Is it the same 'smoked sharp cheddar' - or do they offer other varieties also?
    I'm not sure. I'm at the office, but I'll check when I get home. It is certainly a cheddar, but I don't remember it being smoked. In fact, I think it's time I opened the package and gave it a try!

Yes, it does. Most co-ops in the region do.

Here's my local cheesemonger, to illustrate what a specialty cheese shop is like here. I'm sure they've had over 100 varieties every time I've gone in. I've seen both Oz & Kiwi cheeses there, but haven't tried 'em. Now I will.

http://www.cheese-bar.com/

Looks good to me! Lots of cheese there that I've never heard of. Makes me hungry looking at it!

Rick

There's a deli like that in Southport but it's beyond my paygrade to shop there...the prices are astronomical !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead