Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoration/conversion of Helen K a Tasmanian Cray boat

Default Restoration/conversion of Helen K a Tasmanian Cray boat

Helen K is a 40' retired Cray (lobster) boat built of King William Pine in 1956 by Walter Burns in Wivenhoe on the north coast of Tasmania, Australia.

Built for George King and named after his wife Helen. I'm yet to find more information about the boat, but by chance when hauling her out in preparation for the voyage north up the east coast I was put on the hard beside a guy who was the deckhand on Helen K in the 80's out of Dunalley, So I have a few leads to track down more of her past.

She stopped fishing some 15 years ago and has suffered pretty badly in that time. The Mercedes engine was replace with a Perkins 6534 and the re patching of the deck was done poorly with the cutting of 5 deckbeams and very little overlap used when "sistering" on replacement, the deck from the aft edge of the well and much of the the wheelhouse has sagged possibly 7".

The entire Wheelhouse is rotten and need replacement with something more pleasing to the eye, I'm also deciding whether to pull off the raised foredeck and replace with a trunk cabin to give a better sheer.

I'm currently in the process of pulling out the two 600l fuel tanks for refurb and deconstructing the deck and beams.

This will be a long process with much of the the work done in the water.

a few photos when purchased,of the haul out and the trip up the east coast of Tasmania....currently berthed in Launceston on the Tamar.

20160920_162812.jpg

20161231_113845.jpg

20170314_121752.jpg

20170314_121805.jpg

Liam.
    Last edited by master of nun; 02-06-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Default Re: Restoration/conversion of Helen K a Tasmanian Cray boat

20170317_134110.jpg
    There is a lot of boat in the water, she draws 6 feet

20170315_084408 upside paint.jpg

20170314_150629 paint.jpg
    The wet well for the crayfish is a huge space, I'm not sure if I'll remove completely or just convert to dry cargo hold or separate cabin space.
    20170319_161153.jpg
    or perhaps just leave it as a pool!

I like the pool idea! Nice looking boat. I'd probably keep the raised foredeck, I'm guessing it's original, and gives you much better useable space up forward.

Very pretty! I will be interested in seeing what you do with her.
    As you say, that wet well is a lot of volume, I’m curious what sealing that up would do to her trim.

The trip home last March.
    east coast trip.jpg

20170320_091033 upside.jpg
    Entering Marion Bay after coming through the Denison Canal at Dunalley the night before. 5-10 knt winds 1-1.5m swell.......perfect

20170320_185251.jpg
    Anchored at Cooks beach, Freycinet National Park
    20170321_090040 paint.jpg
    My parents came as crew, a shame the weather didn't hold for the trip, we had a couple of days held up hiding from 3-4m seas.
    20170326_183945 paint.jpg
    Almost home last stretch of the River Tamar with the kids onboard.

Now on to the business end......the work begins.

The accommodation in the fo'c'sle had been lined out with marine carped and the deckhead made of vinyl covered interior ply, all framing for furniture was radiata pine with gaps filled with expanding foam.
    This couple with a leaking deck spelt disaster, no air movement and rotting mouldy carpet/wood/foam. There were mushrooms I kid you not!

14570527_1329454247079900_3726113540102147605_o.jpg
    Myself enjoying the wonderful carpeted surrounds.
    20170905_122402.jpg
    the galley to port in the fo'c'sle.

20170905_122342 paint.jpg
    some of the foam filling gaps between the carpeted lining and the inside of planking

20170905_123300 paint.jpg
    Boat building at it's finest!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I like the pool idea! Nice looking boat. I'd probably keep the raised foredeck, I'm guessing it's original, and gives you much better usable space up forward.
    I hear you Phil, the sheer of the raised deck and the bulwark arrangement makes her looked hogged, something I can probably fudge in the new bulwarks by stepping the bulwarks too.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Very pretty! I will be interested in seeing what you do with her.
    As you say, that wet well is a lot of volume, I’m curious what sealing that up would do to her trim.
    It' pretty much at the centre of buoyancy so I estimate there will be about consistent 100mm draft change. Nothing 4 ton of lead won't fix.

20170315_084408 upside paint.jpg

20170320_185251.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by master of nun View Post
    I hear you Phil, the sheer of the raised deck and the bulwark arrangement makes her looked hogged, something I can probably fudge in the new bulwarks by stepping the bulwarks too.
    The rub rails do make her look hogged, but you will lose a lot of boat if you do lose the raised fore deck. There is a slight hog to the garboard seam in that picture so there may be some actual hog there as well.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post

The rub rails do make her look hogged, but you will lose a lot of boat if you do lose the raised fore deck. There is a slight hog to the garboard seam in that picture so there may be some actual hog there as well.
    It may be a trick of the camera, I did cast my over her when she was out and there was nothing notable.

The problem comes from the fore deck sheerline tapering from 150mm at the stem to 350mm at the step so when a bulwark capping rail is forced to fair over two conflicting sheerlines it creates a hump in the middle.
    But this will all come out in the wash as the project goes forward.

It's a whole lot less work to leave the raised deck.

Less work is always good. But not to the extent of filling everything with foam and slapping carpet all over! You have to wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

PS you need to find an old Gardner.

It would be nice Phil, My dad does happen to have a couple in the shed but rebuilds are soooo expensive.

The Perkins has only 1500hrs on it and uses 8l an hour so I can't really complain.

A classic Tassie cray boat , well done !.
    I wish you every success in getting her sorted.
    Regards Rob J.

Thanks Rob

I don't know what your plans are for her , but I've been on a few motorsailer crayboat types that were exceptional.
    http://boatbrokers.com.au/boat-details/?de=207697
    https://www.boatsalestas.com.au/sail...et-ann/211572/.
    These 2 boats were not working boats ever , but are built on the crayboat style.
    Bernard Wilson of course is the master , but the Janet Ann was really well set up as a motorSAILER .
    And there was the Julliene , that could really sail , or motor on her 5LW.
    But no doubt , you have seen plenty of well converted cray boats , and have your own ideas.
    Make haste slowly.
    Regards Rob J.

With the mast removed and a tarpaulin now covering the deck it's time to start opening her up to replace a rotten deck beam and remove the fuel tanks for either refurb or replacement. I'm undecided on how much fuel tankage I want to have. she currently has a 600L tank eitherside of the well like most of these boats.

I could most likely get away with 600L total as I only used about 250L on the trip up the coast.

last time the tanks were replaced the deck beams were replaced with steel angle and form ply used for concrete form work was used to replace the King Billy pine laid deck.

20180122_160259.jpg

20180122_160253.jpg

20180123_125752.jpg

20180205_165609.jpg
    A good shot showing just how much volume the well has.

20180205_170132.jpg

Deck beam out, had steel lodging knees and has done much damage to the timber.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    I don't know what your plans are for her , but I've been on a few motorsailer crayboat types that were exceptional.
    http://boatbrokers.com.au/boat-details/?de=207697
    https://www.boatsalestas.com.au/sail...et-ann/211572/.
    These 2 boats were not working boats ever , but are built on the crayboat style.
    Bernard Wilson of course is the master , but the Janet Ann was really well set up as a motorSAILER .
    And there was the Julliene , that could really sail , or motor on her 5LW.
    But no doubt , you have seen plenty of well converted cray boats , and have your own ideas.
    Make haste slowly.
    Regards Rob J.

Yes, Julliene is a very nice boat, was in constitution dock (Hobart) last time I was there.

I really like Janet Ann. Good to see what they have done with the fuel tanks.

Fantastic project MON, I’m another looking forward to seeing what you do with her. What timber are you planning to use for your cabin and other structure rebuild?

Re the fuel tankage, if you’re planning on going down to 600 litres would you consider replacing both side tanks with smaller ones rather than just ditching one? ‘I’m sure I’m telling you how to suck eggs but it’d keep keep your CoG down lower and maintain your trim better than trying to replace the removed tank with ballast or something while still giving you good space for storage or possibly even bunks over the smaller tanks.

It’d also allow you some redundancy in fuel supply if one tank got fouled for some reason and the ability, if needed, to scrub dirty fuel from one tank to the other and back again in such circumstances.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Janet Ann was a real labour of love.
    Everything about her was as strong as possible , including the rigging.
    But looks like you have your work cut out though.
    I left Portland Vic in late November , a couple of months before that a local bloke bought home a Tassie cray boat , GM powered , needing TLC.
    He was in to it with gusto.
    Saw the boat last week , it looks pretty good , and he has her in work.
    I've no doubt she is a work in progress , but he is loving it.
    I'll be following your work with real interest.
    Regards Rob J.

I agree with Greg re fuel tanks !.
    Regards Rob J.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Fantastic project MON, I’m another looking forward to seeing what you do with her. What timber are you planning to use for your cabin and other structure rebuild?

Re the fuel tankage, if you’re planning on going down to 600 litres would you consider replacing both side tanks with smaller ones rather than just ditching one? ‘I’m sure I’m telling you how to suck eggs but it’d keep keep your CoG down lower and maintain your trim better than trying to replace the removed tank with ballast or something while still giving you good space for storage or possibly even bunks over the smaller tanks.

It’d also allow you some redundancy in fuel supply if one tank got fouled for some reason and the ability, if needed, to scrub dirty fuel from one tank to the other and back again in such circumstances.

No matter what I do I'll have multiple tanks.

Most likely a day tank with around 150L, which I already have in the shed and will use whilst I have the other two main tanks out. Along with this, I'm considering having two additional tanks, one either side of the engine of about 250L each. This would bring the LCG aft but I'd have so much up my sleeve after plugging the well that I could correct for it with ballast. If anything I'd be a bit cautious about lowering the CoG too far and making her too stiff.

Chappelle notes that fuel tanks as these should be around CoB (to minimise changes in trim at differing tank levels) and at waterline. Not to mention they have been placing the tanks where they are now for nearly a century.....there might just be something in it.

OR

I keep the tanks I have after a sand blast and re coating, have a ridiculous range but loose some accommodation.....If I could afford to ever fill them!

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post

A bit of a mix really, I have a lot of 7x3" tas oak left over from my house build so I'll use a lot of that for deck beams/carlins where lengths permit. I have a stash of of celerytop and myrtle for fitout.
    Hoop ply where needed and possibly a bit of douglas fir thrown in for good measure.

Tassie timbers are getting very expensive, if you can get hold of it even. So I won't be getting too precious about species, to be honest the boat isn't worth it, if she had more of a pedigree it would be different.

Liam.

I wouldn't worry too much about what fuel tanks will do to your trim on a boat that size. Is she 20 tonnes or so? 200 or 500 kg here or there isn't going to have a major impact. My boat (50 feet, 20 tonnes) has 4 tanks of about 400 litres each, I think that's right. Waaaay too much. I filled them in Brisbane in about 2010, then again in Hobart in 2012, and topped them up early in 2016 before we sailed to Adelaide.

She comes in at 14 tonnes, so if you consider water tanks, battery relocation and extra equipment, I'll be playing with possibly 20% of her displacment. Tankage could be 10% so not insignificant, I'd rather a positive small impact than a negative small impact on seakeeping. I won't get too hung up on it, but I do need to keep an eye on things.

A ballpark figure for pitch and roll radius of gyration is 0.25 of LOA so it may actually help bringing the fuel tanks aft if Im to add ballast forward when plugging the well.

Much to do first.....

Phil, do you have any threads on your boat? Id be keen to take a look.

Although im still very much up in air regarding new layout etc......i need to hurry up and make a decision. This is one option im look at.

Ha, i reserve the right to do a backflip at any moment

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Janet Ann was a gaffer , with a furling headsail.
    She could take the rough stuff under sail , no worries.
    If you could get a look over her , it might give you some ideas.
    And Memories , Bernard Wilson's own boat was also a gaffer.
    Looks good to me !.
    Regards Rob J.

I was raised on a gaff rigged 26 footer, infact dad has donated the original oregon mast for the mizzen.

I travelled to Bowen in nth Queensland looking to buy Grete a 45 foot gaff cutter blatic trader but she was to far gone and too far from home to make it work.

I did mangage to get hold of her sails before she was brocken up....very sad really, like pulling gold teeth from a corps.

Some bits and pieces i picked up recently that will hopefully be suitable for Helen.

More

I had a 22ft gaff cutter.
    Well , good for you , its going to keep you and your young bloke out of trouble for a while.
    I'll be watching you hopefully make it all happen.
    Regards Rob J.

i'll be watching this. looks like a nice project!

jim

I like the look of this project. Nice looking hull.
    And the treatment it has had as a hard run cray boat is showing up today.

As for the tankage, some advice from an experienced boatbuilder Owen Woolley when building my launch.
    He said build two identical tanks for each side of the hull.
    Designed to hold 310 litres of diesel and the other 310 litres of water.
    He said forget about balance, you will never get it right.
    You will take the blokes out on a fishing trip and burn all the diesel.
    And the girls out on a cruise and they will use all the water.
    Never heard truer words in the whole building experience.

I can see you have a young family, you will use all that extra fresh water.

Great project stick with it.

Great thread, and more to come.
    Thanks

Big project, a real energy absorber. Regarding the tanks, you could always cut them down vertically to reduce capacity if you really prefer the space. A friend has 800l in split tanks, but being under the sole of a pilot house, do not really take anything from the accomodation. Those Perkins are pretty long lived given the right care, and parts are easily obtained.