Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a gimballed stove

Default Re: Making a gimballed stove

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Van Gilder View Post
    a couple boats ago I had a 1923 falmouth quay punt. I used 1 pound cylinders for the stove and grill. I used to stack them up in 6" plastic pipe, lashed to the pulpit.
    This is how we store the cylinders for our grill. PVC pipe lashed to the mizzen mast holds two cylinders. But for the gimballed stove on a longer offshore passage, we'll need to store more of them.

Regarding the Flame King recall

REI Service

​All inventory was inspected and any affected canisters were removed from our stock in June 2017. Everything for sale from July 2017 on is unaffected. For additional information, please give us a call at 1-800-426-4840.

Dave I think you missunderstood. The link was for one canister plus the refill kit. A single canister is 18$. The ideea is to have a big normal tank (I would take a fiberglass or aluminium one) lashed to the pulpit, and two of the 1lb canisters, one on the stove and one filled as a spare.

If space allows one can use the 4,5-5 lb canisters. There are some aluminium ones. The nicest one I know about has a fill indicator and a multivalve, but is steel. Can also be fitted with a valve conection for direct fill from an LPG station.
    http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/c...cts/01-4003-67
    Maybe you can find something similar in the USA wich fits the space (and not so expensive)?

They will protect the threads and have a rubber gasket that seals them in case the valve leaks.

These are genious.... I gotta buy a couple. I didn't even know that was a thing.
    Oh yeah! Those are good. I'll be getting a couple if I again find myself with a propane stove.

kinda like a refined version of this.... but no legs and gimbled.

https://cdn.remodelista.com/wp-conte...emodelista.jpg
    Looking at that photo, I could imagine a way to cannibalize the burners from that stove and do a nicer frame in bronze. I could also see re-plumbing the gas line so that a long thin propane cylinder could be suspended on its side beneath the burner, minimizing the gimballed height.

But all of that is just me getting excited about the project. I'd rather see what you're doing!

Alex

I have an old Optimus, mostly as a keepsake. I could use it on my boat, but the Sea Swing with the propane bottle (non-refillable, unfortunately) is so easy and clean and reliable. I need to overhaul it....new washers above and below the pan, and new cleaning pricker's at least. Anyone know of a source for parts?

Also where do you find those adaptors for filling non-refillable propane bottles?

Last edited by gilberj; 02-06-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    I could also see re-plumbing the gas line so that a long thin propane cylinder could be suspended on its side beneath the burner, minimizing the gimballed height.
    The propane tank needs to be angled upward so that the gas (and not the liquid phase) comes out of the valve. I don't know what the minimum angle is, but it has to be above the horizontal. I mounted mine vertically so that it would work regardless of the angle of heel.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    Also where do you find those adaptors for filling non-refillable propane bottles?
    They're available on Amazon and many other sources, but I wouldn't recommend using them. There are a number of YouTube videos about refilling "disposable" propane cylinders, bleeding the valves, weighing the tanks, putting them in the refrigerator, etc. Mostly posted by people who haven't blown themselves up yet.

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

"Looking at that photo, I could imagine a way to cannibalize the burners from that stove and do a nicer frame in bronze. I could also see re-plumbing the gas line so that a long thin propane cylinder could be suspended on its side beneath the burner, minimizing the gimballed height.

But all of that is just me getting excited about the project. I'd rather see what you're doing!"

Alex[/QUOTE]

The burners are cast iron. I bought one to see what I could scavenge. and the valve mechanism... is.... poor.
    I have been thinking of using the valve and burners from normal camp stove. like a coleman or something.
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Definitely get in touch with Gary at Bluewater Stove restoration (link at Post #18). I know he keeps a variety of burners in stock, of various different fuels --and knobs, jets, various parts, etc.-- and I think he'd be interested in the project. He has helped me out a lot with various "frankenstoves" I've assembled over the years, swapping burners around among various stove types. Use my name, if you like; I've been emailing with him over the past few days and your project came up over the course of our correspondance.

Alex

A Bremer Sea Swing has turned up on eBay. No affiliation, etc. Wall bracket not included.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302605042827

Talisman has a Bremer Sea Swing. We modified it to hold a little backpacking stove that uses the isobutane fuel cartridges. It was originally dessigned for use with sterno. We use it underway for coffee and soup mostly. At anchor we use one of those one burner butane stoves.

There was a fellow on this forum that built a stove here step by step.
    I think the post was taken down for some reason.
    He posted often here, his wife was a teacher I think, he moved to the far west, (or was it the far east? Oh well, if you go far enough east you'ii end up west if the rumor that the world is round is true.)
    I hink he had a boat building shop in Port Townsend.

Ringing any bells?
    basil

I've loved the hanging device that jetboil had for a few years. now a company by the name of " RVOps " is making the jet boil hanger. How about getting the camping stove you like and make the swing set? sorry new computer and I don't know how to post a link ...ps back country gear has it too
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 02-07-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    I've loved the hanging device that jetboil had for a few years.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Here's the link to Backcountry Gear: www.backcountrygear.com/jetboil-hanging-kit.html

The hanging kit is for Jetboil's lightweight backpacking stoves that run on an isobutane/propane mix. Their heavier "base camp" stoves run on propane.

They would be good for coastal camp cruising, but probably not for offshore voyaging.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    He posted often here, his wife was a teacher I think, he moved to the far west, (or was it the far east? Oh well, if you go far enough east you'ii end up west if the rumor that the world is round is true.)

Ringing any bells?
    The thread about James’s gimballed stove is gone. It was resurrected by Jimmy W but the picture links are gone. He basically bought a couple of slightly different sized pots at a thrift store and through clever cutting and bolting together fastened a gimballed stove mount. You can see it in this video:

That video led me to this one for a Jetboil mount. Pretty nice looking. Iím not sure if itís still available.

http://www.safirewaterjet.co.uk/the-...oil-stove.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

Here's the link to Backcountry Gear: www.backcountrygear.com/jetboil-hanging-kit.html

The hanging kit is for Jetboil's lightweight backpacking stoves that run on an isobutane/propane mix. Their heavier "base camp" stoves run on propane.

They would be good for coastal camp cruising, but probably not for offshore voyaging.

I hate to think how that would swing around! Camping, maybe but not on a boat surely.

That's like the big-wall kit for the old MSR Firefly. Years ago I made up a version for my MSR Whisperlite, with the fuel bottle slung underneath. It's good on land, but Phil Y is right: it occillates like a mad b*stard on a boat. Scared the b'jayzus out of me when I tried it aboard Bucephalus, suspending it from the boom. I lit it up as it was sitting on the bench, set the pot on it, hung it up under the boom, turned away to prep the food, and a few seconds later, when I turned back to check the food, the stove was orbitting around the cockpit at mach 6. That ended *that* experiment. (To be fair, though, it didn't spill a drop!)

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    The thread about James’s gimballed stove is gone. It was resurrected by Jimmy W but the picture links are gone. He basically bought a couple of slightly different sized pots at a thrift store and through clever cutting and bolting together fastened a gimballed stove mount. You can see it in this video:
    This one?

24.jpg
    Heute ist so ein schŲne Tag...

In The first photos it looks like it gimbals sideways but not fore and aft.

Regarding the original build, I like the way the bottle acts as ballast, stabilizing the motion. And I like the fact that it's quick-unscrew -- you only need to have the bottle in the cabin while you're actually cooking.

I presume you did a soap-test on all the soldering.

It occurs to me that similar unit could be made using an Origo-style alcohol burner. These are not as hot of course -- but I find I still manage to burn my food.

Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post

Ringing any bells?
    That guy sounds familiar. Whatever happened to him, anyways? Itís almost like heís gotten too lazy living in a tropical paradise these days to hardly ever even bother to check in anymore. I did hear a rumor that he mostly just sails Lasers these days instead of something wooden, and so probably doesnít have much of interest to report.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    I presume you did a soap-test on all the soldering.
    Yes, I did the soldering because the compression fittings failed the soap test. The supply tube that came with the stove is non-malleable, thick-walled brass that resisted compression, but I had to use it because the fitting going into the stove is proprietary.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    That guy sounds familiar. Whatever happened to him, anyways?
    I dunno, but the place just isn't the same without him

Dave, is there a thread here somewhere about that great article in the Feb. issue of WoodenBoat? You know the one...