Thread: Magnetic bandsaw fence

Default Magnetic bandsaw fence

Does anyone here use one? The Carter Magfence looks pretty slick and is used by Alex Snodgrass whose videos on bandsaw setup have helped my bandsaw immensely. So I kind of trust him although I think he is employed by Carter who makes the fence.

One of the reasons Iím looking at this is because the factory fence on my saw is in the way when Iím not using it and wonít come off without taking it apart. Also, in my very small shop I would love to get rid of the fence rails.

A reason Iím a bit skeptical is that I have a magnetic feather board which doesnít hold as tightly as I would like. But it looks like the fence holds much tighter.

Default Re: Magnetic bandsaw fence

The fence I use on my 20" bandsaw is two pieces of plywood screwed and glued together to form an L. This arrangement is then reinforced with two triangular pieces of plywood glued to the inside corner of the L. I clamp the thing to the table with a large hand screw. It works perfectly and cost virtually nothing. I use a small adjustable square to set the two ends of the fence the same distance from the edge. No rails to get in the way and nothing to get out of adjustment. If necessary, I can angle the fence to compensate for a blade that doesn't want to cut straight. That usually isn't necessary.

I also have a smaller version with a very short vertical leg in order to keep the exposed blade to a minimum.

The magnetic attachment could be convenient if one needed to make a lot of blade width changes.

Jeff

I have a 14" Delta, I use the same set-up as Jeff describes except I have a tall leg for resawing and a short leg for other stuff and fasten it to the table with a couple of C-clamps... I only have 6" resaw capacity, so this works ok for me. If you have more you may need to make a dedicated resaw fence and a general purpose fence. Among the benefits of making your own accessories are they typically cost next to nothing, there are no limitations in design or usage, and they can be "sacrificial" if necessary.
    pvg

Looks like a good thing! Although, sometimes, one wants a fence that is square to the blade, more often it is desireable to have a bit of angular offset to compensate for drift. Which is easy with this fence. The one thing that i really like is that it removes the need of a cross guide bar for the fence from the table face. The cross bar always needs to be removed from my Atlas in order to change blades and that is irksome!
    Jay

I took the fence rails off and it makes a lot of things a lot easier. Besides taking up less room in the shop, I can easily take the table off now with two knobs. That makes changing blades and adjusting lower guides MUCH easier. The Magfence is over $100 so I think I’ll start by making a couple of plywood/c-clamp fences per Jeff and pvg and see how that works for me.

Thanks guys, you saved me a hundred bucks. With a new blade, some fine tuning of the guides and a homemade fence, I can easily slice uniform 1/16” slabs from a 2x8. This resawing is a piece of cake once set up properly.

AFA7E509-175E-4E1E-9E91-8C4D0DC3FFDD.jpg

Filing this thread away for future reference...
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Lee Valley tool sell those switch magnets, not inexpensive but you can design your own fence.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Filing this thread away for future reference...
    I had no idea this old Grizzly bandsaw could be so precise. It’s all in the setup. This video helped a lot.
    https://youtu.be/bxVyKsbuwZQ

I sliced this from a junk fir 2x8.
    2833B937-6A36-48DB-B3E2-BFCAB98FB00B.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    Lee Valley tool sell those switch magnets, not inexpensive but you can design your own fence.
    That’s a good idea. But I think I’ve come to the conclusion that the magnets aren’t strong enough to trust. Maybe the new one are better tho, don’t know.

More to think about when resawing: Work out some arrangement to give yourself infeed and outfeed tables. You will be preoccupied with keeping the stock against the fence and maintaining a smooth feed rate. You don't want to have to hold up the boards too. Also consider a featherboard to keep pressure against the stock.

I'm glad the new fence is working out for you! Laminate covered too.... deluxe.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post

I'm glad the new fence is working out for you! Laminate covered too.... deluxe.

Jeff
    I'm an incurable scrap hoarder. Sometimes it works out.