Thread: The 1600s

Default The 1600s

I'm hoping I can post from a FB picture gallery here, but - a rare day off today - I took the "rules" for early 17th century English hull design (thanks Brian Lavery and his Susan Constant) and brewed up (in Flash, and using some maths) this. It's weirdly simple, kind of sweet, more-or-less fair throughout and very typical of the period.

Needs tweaking at the fo'c'sle and some reflex curves at the stern, but it's remarkable what you can produce with the simplest of rules.

Question is, would I want to spend a month on the Atlantic in it?

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Default Re: The 1600s

Apparently that method created some strange shapes in the bow, so the hull had to be built using harpins or stringers to form a birds-nest that the timbers could be lifted from.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The above is just over four-fifths of the hull length - easily the most buoyant and useful part of the whole. I suspect a bit of cheating at the ends was par for the course. Cover up the egregious front errors with a fancy head and hancing, and obfuscate the back end with a gorgeous gallery?

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Hardly, they had to bend plank round it first.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Chop the top 2/3 off and you've got something close to an 80s whitbread hull.
    Well ...between that and a 90s IOR boat.

From what the Red Bay wreck showed, the ends of the vessel may well have been faired out on the stocks. Not that hard to do. Some of the NA's have speculated that this was some what common given the log records of voyages compared with what the purported replicas have done. Check as well with the work done by Sarsfield on a Nina replica.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    From what the Red Bay wreck showed, the ends of the vessel may well have been faired out on the stocks. Not that hard to do. Some of the NA's have speculated that this was some what common given the log records of voyages compared with what the purported replicas have done. Check as well with the work done by Sarsfield on a Nina replica.
    Ben, you probably know this, but in Spain,in the Basque Country, a replica from the San Juan, is built. In Pasaia where also the original ship in Red Bay was built. The guy behind all this is Xabier Agote, google his name and the place if you want to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Ben, you probably know this, but in Spain,in the Basque Country, a replica from the San Juan, is built. In Pasaia where also the original ship in Red Bay was built. The guy behind all this is Xabier Agote, google his name and the place if you want to find out.
    Thanks, I do know this, in fact I know Xavier. One of the great things about the Red Bay wreck is that some small boats survived. We know a lot more about 17th century ships thanks to the VASA and the various vessels revealed in the Ijsselmeer polders than we do about small boats. I was involved in working out the design of a 1605 "kit" boat that was assembled in a week, rowed 8 could carry 13 and was pretty quick under oars. The various royal barges of that era, stipped of the gold and carvings showed the way, and not so incidentally showed the lack of documentation other than lines. Disconnected framing, norse style keel and stem scarves, sliding fore and aft seating that could form a walkway between bow and stern yet be sifted to carry a passenger clear of a single banked oar etc. Showed the importance of documentation beyond a hull shape. Hull shape is the easy part.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

PA190791.jpgPA190792.jpgDSCN6995.jpgDSCN7035.jpg This is the expedition ship called Willem Barents, who tried to find a north east route to India in 1596. They were shipwrecked in the ice and survived on Nova Zembla. The next summer they went home with 2 small boats. We made a commemorative trip from Harlingen, where the ship is built to Terschelling where Willen Barents lived and back
    http://debarentsz.nl/scheepsbouw/onz...uwmeester.html Though the text is in Dutch I am sure you can get a good impression of this ship. The history is especially interesting when you realise that the Dutch were still fighting the Spaniards and only a small part of The Netherlands was free. The war against Spain would last another 50 years.
    Last edited by FF; 02-17-2018 at 12:40 PM.