Thread: Things available today.

Lightbulb Things available today.

ccmanuals posted a comment in another post about thinking what his Dad would say about watching Golf on a HD flatscreen TV.

I wonder what my grandfather - died - 1938 - would have thought about things we now take for granted:

'Smart' phones and all that they can do.

TV HD etc etc.

Skype. Ability to hold a small object (similar to Dick Tracy wrist TV thingy), without connecting wires, talk to somebody half way around the world and see them live in color for free!!!

A/C in houses.

Vehicles, - A/C, entertainment centre, bluetooth, GPS navigation, reverse cameras etc.

Jet aircraft - jumbo jets(now being phased out), Concorde speed now grounded.

Cruise ships - sheer size.

GPS, depth sounders, etc on boats.

Internet (rather than encyclopedias) and contact vis social media.

On line banking.

Credit cards.

Please add to the list.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Things available today.

The list is staggering when you think about it.

In 1992 I was working with JPL on creating some of the first web pages and sites for the Air Force. The guy I was working with had created the web site for Disney. It really wasn't that long ago.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

We bypassed, pagers, faxing, etc. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    We bypassed, pagers, faxing, etc. LOL
    I wish. I'm writing software for a truck leasing company & probably 50% of the companies that lease still use fax.

However, to the OP: it really is amazing. I use Skype every day (both video & regular calls) & certainly take for granted all that my iPhone does. I look at my 40" HD (but not 4K) TV & think that I could upgrade it to bigger & 4K for a few hundred dollars. I won't (yet) - but the fact that I could is quite something.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

PISN summed it up neatly as "all of the world's knowledge in a small glass brick."
    Steve Martinsen

If my dad, who died in 1960, were to come back, I'm sure the first question he would ask would be,
    "Why are so many people running down the street?"
    "They are exercising, dad."
    "Don't they have shovels or hammers or something that give them exercise?"

A young woman who works for me (first year college student) has a boyfriend in Florida. She is in New York. They communicate daily via Skype and email with letters and phone calls.

I told her that in my day I had a family phone and no privacy. It's a different world.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    A young woman who works for me (first year college student) has a boyfriend in Florida. She is in New York. They communicate daily via Skype and email with letters and phone calls.

I told her that in my day I had a family phone and no privacy. It's a different world.
    Yes it is.

We have 4 grandkids: 2 in VT & 2 in FL. The FL ones were up for Christmas & had not physically seen their cousin Asa for 2 years (& he's 3). The 2 FL ones were in the living room when Asa came in the door. "Hey Asa! C'mon over & play with us!" They settled in together as if they'd been together the day before.

They FaceTime back & forth several times a week & are completely comfortable/familiar with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Yes it is.

We have 4 grandkids: 2 in VT & 2 in FL. The FL ones were up for Christmas & had not physically seen their cousin Asa for 2 years (& he's 3). The 2 FL ones were in the living room when Asa came in the door. "Hey Asa! C'mon over & play with us!" They settled in together as if they'd been together the day before.

They FaceTime back & forth several times a week & are completely comfortable/familiar with each other.
    It's easy to point to the internet and see all the problems it creates from life in the bubble to the dumbing down of our society, but this is what it's really for. It has changed lives for the better in very big ways. Now all we need to do is learn to use it wisely.

It's easy to point to the internet and see all the problems it creates from life in the bubble to the dumbing down of our society, but this is what it's really for. It has changed lives for the better in very big ways. Now all we need to do is learn to use it wisely.
    Like spending time here?

Kidding aside - I agree. The thing with the kids just blew me away.

Very true. My last two relationships blew up, at least in part, due to this constant "on" type of living. Both women expected levels of interaction that I didn't even have with my wife (and we lived together for 20+ years!). I realize I tend toward the reclusive but feeling like I was expected to chat via text or phone call several times a day, even before noon, was really a bit much. I mean really, I can literally go days without talking to anyone. And I'm perfectly okay with that.

Our forebears might be lost at first; strangers in a strange land.
    As fast as all this happened, we had time to adjust. Our grands and great grands might well not know what to make of it at all.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

If you took an iPhone back to the sixties and used it as a prop on Star Trek, nobody would have believed it

Supermarkets
    Ready meals in the freezer.
    Eating in front of a TV, rather than round the table.
    Expensive brands of trainers. [used to be plimsolls in the UK] All that money for gym shoes?
    Career women- very few stay at home housewives.
    Black people in politics, the services, the professions, and business. [use that N-word, and you are really for it!]
    Gays [queers] being open about it, and even marrying.

There was a real difference between the UK and the USA.
    The first house that my parents owned had an ice box, let alone a freezer.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I like to think of my paternal great-grandmothers, who were both born in 1895, grew up in horse-and-buggy America, and lived to fly on jetliners, use computers, see the STS, etc. Pretty remarkable changes in one lifetime.

Of course, the population of the planet roughly quadrupled in that time, so there were some negative side-effects, too.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    If you took an iPhone back to the sixties and used it as a prop on Star Trek, nobody would have believed it

Flip phones anyone?

Many engineers and industrialists who worked to develop the modern computer technology do cite Star Trek for their inspiration. Can there really be any doubt?

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Flip phones anyone?

Might realize that by 1938, he had witnessed in his lifetime the invention of: the airplane, the automobile, radio transmission, television transmission, antibiotics, the X-ray machine, the helicopter, rocketry, synthetic materials; low-cost aluminum, commercial electricity and paved concrete roads. Don't why he would have thought a smart phone is such a big deal. He would have witnessed the introduction of the first telephone networks--arguably a bit of a jump from the telegraph.
    Might also note that his life spanned the time from the first Wright Bros. flight to the first aircraft powered by a turbojet engine--which flew a year after he died.

That we live in a time of rapid technological change is a commonly held belief today, but ignores the rapid changes in the past. It was about two years between the invention of the first AC transformer and the construction of the first commercial power plant. The Niagara Falls hydroelectric complex was built nine years later--a dozen years from whale oil and gas lamps to household electricity.
    Last edited by Dan McCosh; 01-31-2018 at 01:11 PM.