Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting old and the Grammies.

Default Getting old and the Grammies.

Reading the list of this year's Grammy award winners, I realized I didn't recognize a single song or performer.

Default Re: Getting old and the Grammies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Reading the list of this year's Grammy award winners, I realized I didn't recognize a single song or performer.
    You're not alone.

I'm dimly aware of whom Bruno Mars is... and even caught a video of one of his performances... but I didn't find it all that interesting.
    Last edited by Norman Bernstein; 01-30-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Most lame award show. No rock performer. Bruno Mars is talented and the album decent - not great. The message was clearly defined - male rap stars and dance music. More BET than Grammys. It proves how sorry shape the state of pop and good music is.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

And you probably should not bother. There isn't much pop to listen to if you grew up on anything that was.

Ain't we a bunch of old pharts? However, I agree - I'd know Bruno Mars & that was about it. However, I must admit that the grammys have seldom had anyone of interest to me - or maybe one performer out of the crowd.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Bruno who?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

It was interesting to watch the old white guys on late night tv trying to hype it up...

I would think that some of the old pharts here would at least remember that Bruno Mars did the 2014 Superbowl halftime show.

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    I would think that some of the old pharts here would at least remember that Bruno Mars did the 2014 Superbowl halftime show.
    It really wasn't all that memorable...

Plus he crashed super bowl 50 half time show

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Why don't you guys keep up with the world. Music changes, doesn't make it worse, just different. I grew up in the '80's, if I only listened to that I'd want to shoot myself. There are a lot of talented performers out there, give them a listen. Keep in mind that there were a lot of bad songs that came out of the 60's 70's 80's and so on.

We have a friend who is the bass player in the group War on Drugs. They won their category for "Best Rock Album" (against Metallica among others). Yet not only was the Best Rock Album category not televised, it was not even mentioned in something like, "And earlier today winners in these categories were. . . ". They weren't even at the ceremony, being currently in New Zealand on tour. But there are so many categories any more that it is almost Everyone's a Winner now. Think about it, Best Rock Album is not even important anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Why don't you guys keep up with the world. Music changes, doesn't make it worse, just different. I grew up in the '80's, if I only listened to that I'd want to shoot myself. There are a lot of talented performers out there, give them a listen. Keep in mind that there were a lot of bad songs that came out of the 60's 70's 80's and so on.
    There is a lot of great new music out there, but you won't hear any of it at the Grammies or on pop radio. This isn't about only listening to old music. It's about the triviality of the new music. And, yes, I'm old, but some of what's being played now is just bad. It's corporate pop music without any distinctiveness.

That's the story of my entire life.

I've never followed it.
    PaulF

Surely it's better than a few years ago, when the Grammy's were compared to "Take your daughter to work day". It consisted of geriatric male rockers and nubile young women.

Pop music has always been that way, CW. What gets high rotation airplay and televised on the Grammy's is what the 'taste-makers' and corporate marketing departments wish you to buy. The other music is still out there - rock, reggae, blues, etc. - but with the fracturing of the music distribution system with the advent of music via the internet, you have to go seek it out now; it won't be served on a menu for you anymore. I hate that, but that's the way it is. I also lament the apparent diminishment of music albums - it seems to be singles now, and we have to download, compile, and arrange our own albums. Sucks to grow old, I guess. I attribute it to the millennial generation's embracing of multi-tasking (not giving one's full attention to any one subject) and rejection of thematic musical arrangements.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

There were a few that I knew of.

Best Traditional Blues Album: Blue & Lonesome by The Rolling Stones

Best Contemporary Blues Album: TajMo by Taj Mahal and Keb’ Mo’

Best American Roots Performance: “Killer Diller Blues” by Alabama Shakes

Bruno Mars is a lot of fun for his energy on stage. I am as old a phart as there is as my music goes, and I wouldn't buy a Bruno CD or download something, but in concert on television he's pretty cool.

You want to know what I have been watching on Youtube lately? Google 'Heilung Lifa', or Eivor and see what comes up.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I googled 'Heilung Lifa', Mickey. I kept expecting to see Ragnar Lothbrok and Lagertha walk on stage.... <wink>

Oh yeah, it's pretty 'different'. Eivor does all of the singing on the 'the Last Kingdom' television shows. Heilung is out there, but it's pretty damn cool. I think they are singing in Danish?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Pop music has always been that way, CW.
    Yes and no. Jefferson Airplane was distinctive. They did get corporate packaging when they became Starship, but then Slick left them over it. Hendrix and Joplin were distinctive. Kristofferson, Willie, the list goes on. Even John Denver seemed to create a distinctive voice for himself, whether you liked him or not and I did. Go back in time and you have Sinatra. He was his own man and he sang what he wanted. I listen to Mary-Chapin because her voice is distinctively her own and she writes about what she thinks. The same is true for a lot of contemporaries (Garnet Rogers, James Keelaghan, etc.) but you won't hear them on the stations that only play what sells the most.

Yes, pop music has always been about profit and for every original voice there are 1000 copies, but I've never seen so little originality in my life. I've also never seen so much vulgarity, misogyny, or all-out sex used to sell recordings. Sorry, but a lot of these women are selling music with their thighs rather than their voices.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    We have a friend who is the bass player in the group War on Drugs. They won their category for "Best Rock Album" (against Metallica among others). Yet not only was the Best Rock Album category not televised, it was not even mentioned in something like, "And earlier today winners in these categories were. . . ". They weren't even at the ceremony, being currently in New Zealand on tour. But there are so many categories any more that it is almost Everyone's a Winner now. Think about it, Best Rock Album is not even important anymore.
    Wow. That's really cool. I'm a big fan of War on Drugs and hated to miss their swing through DFW last fall. I agree with your opinion about Best Rock Album not being important any more. I think a band like Arcade Fire winning Album of the Year a while back will never be allowed to happen again. Main stream music just pretty much sucks these days.

But, but, but... JA and Joplin and Hendrix were not mainstream in their day - they were the outliers whom the 'counterculture' both bred and embraced. They didn't get televised at the Grammy's or featured on Ed Sullivan. They only became mainstream when you and I grew old enough to demand and take over mainstream media programming. Certainly there are distinctive voices today as there were in our salad days, but now, as then, we have to go looking for them - the local radio station you play in your car are not about to play them. To whit: The BillBoard Top 10 for 1967:

1 "To Sir With Love" - Lulu
    2 "The Letter" - The Box Tops
    3 "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry
    4 "Windy" - The Association
    5 "I'm a Believer" - The Monkees
    6 "Light My Fire" - The Doors
    7 "Somethin' Stupid" - Frank & Nancy Sinatra
    8 "Happy Together" - The Turtles
    9 "Groovin'" - The Young Rascals
    10 "Can't Take My Eyes off You" - Frankie Valli

I have a local station that does play 'em - but then we're special...

Plays what? Counterculture 'oldies', or non-mainstream current music?

I've never paid any attention to the Grammies. Early on, it became evident that, while payola in the radio industry may have died... it's shade lingered in the form of manipulated Grammie awards. This didn't always get it wrong, but didn't often get it right. Throw in the fact that it's mostly aimed at the largest 'music-buying' demographic (which don't include us 'old pharts') and that makes it twice as easy to ignore.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Plays what? Counterculture 'oldies', or non-mainstream current music?
    Yes.

OK - to translate: both. Sure there's some stuff I don't love - but they still play some interesting music. We also have "classic rock" stations that continuously replay the 60's & 70's, but they get old fast.

We are not so fortunate, Garret. Sure, there are 'oldie' stations, but their rotation playlist is short. Surprisingly, there are a few programs on CBC Radio that introduce new and eclectic music, but you have to know when the program is on and tune in for it.

Hillary was there mocking trump from a fake book on her sore loser tour..

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Hillary was there mocking trump from a fake book on her sore loser tour..
    I see no connection to this thread. Did you mean to post here.

We are not so fortunate, Garret. Sure, there are 'oldie' stations, but their rotation playlist is short. Surprisingly, there are a few programs on CBC Radio that introduce new and eclectic music, but you have to know when the program is on and tune in for it.
    That CBC has good stuff does not surprise me in the least.

A few months back I drove 12 hours from here to Ohio & just for giggles, tuned to classic rock stations on the way. Pretty much seamless - except that there were a lot of repeats. While I always liked "Hot Blooded", I don't need to hear it 10 times in a day. I guess I must be a foreigner...

bobbys is just doing what he does best, Gareth; being in the wrong place ant the wrong time, and with the wrong message.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I see no connection to this thread. Did you mean to post here.
    I have him on ignore but since you quoted him, as much as I hate to, in this case I have to defend him if what you quoted is what he posted. Hillary was indeed on a clip at the Grammies reading a blurb from "Fire and Fury". I wish they hadn't seen a need to include that. It was unnecessary and just gives people like bobbys another distraction.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I spent some time in the Grammy Museum in Cleveland, Mississippi last Saturday afternoon. It was the first time that I have been inside. They now have a exhibit on John Lee Hooker that I wanted to see. Being located in Mississippi, there is a good bit of emphasis on musicians from Mississippi like BB King, Elvis, Charley Pride, Faith Hill, Bobbie Gentry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Muddy Waters, Marty Stuart, etc. I even learned that Britney Spears was born in the state.