Thread: Two old ocean boats...

Default Two old ocean boats...

20180129_121439.jpg

A couple of hours ago. My boy on Ngataki, which is a boat world famous in NZ from the book South Sea Vagabonds. And the Marco Polo, Matari.Shes a boat with many many thousands of ocean miles.

Default Re: Two old ocean boats...

Nice to see them both going strong. I really enjoyed read South Sea Vagabonds.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Wonderful shot. Thank you.

I think the phone lens has fisheye raked the masts, they're raked but not that much.
    20180129_114344.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 01-28-2018 at 11:59 PM.

20180127_091055.jpg
    Ngataki is quite a burly boat.
    20180127_155428.jpg

20180127_140053.jpg

Bonus boat. Windhaven spent most of her life in California but came back here about 5 or 8 years ago. Recently saved and restored by Yachting Developments. I think she was a Woodrnboat save a classic too.
    A couple of quite close calls you might say....a few steps in front of the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Nice to see them both going strong. I really enjoyed read South Sea Vagabonds.
    Hilarious book I thought. Quite a dry humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Wonderful shot. Thank you.
    Thanks Ian. A phone pic.

South Sea vagabods was also translatedin Dutch. Great book. I recently heard Ngataki means 'the place of the elite' in Maori. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    South Sea vagabods was also translatedin Dutch. Great book. I recently heard Ngataki means 'the place of the elite' in Maori. Is that correct?
    I can't see any reference for that FF. But it's a language that has many interpretations for syllables.
    Nga can mean the and taki has bird connotations. Ngataki is a region and place names has that as place of many birds.taki also has a reference to loud, which a place of many birds would be.
    But the overwhelming guideline I understand is that it means what the person who named it intended it to mean.
    Carter's Little ships of nz has Ngataki meaning the Challenger. That's a near contemporary book, it's not out of the question that there was a conversation or that was perception at the time,whether accurate or not.

I had to find my copy of South Sea Vagabonds, once I did the following passage revealed itself:

"So we looked through a Maori dictionary and found, among others, the name 'Ngataki,' which meant 'Abode of the Elite.' This sounded quite impressive, and it was more or less decided on."

One of my favorite tales.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Well there you go..... must re read it.

Thanks for posting those pics. A Marco Polo was my dream cruiser back in the 1960s. Years back we used to see a Marco Polo every now and then here in the USA, but I haven't seen one for a long time now. Their absence reminds me of Colvin's boats...often seen cruising offshore but otherwise very little exposure.

Thank you for these photos!
    It is so nice to see a Marco Pollo that looks close to the original design! The reason L Francis Herreshoff designed it as a three masted rig was so that one person could handle each single sail single handed. Also, this boat does just fine without an added bow sprit! I have yet to see one that has the square yard on the fore though. It was designed to be a motor sailor and that is something it does very well!
    Jay

Yes Matari always struck me as true to plans, Jay. She's a quite famous boat in her own right with a couple of decades of trips up into the pacific islands under her and goodness knows where else.

Will this work...

Looks like it . Roger Mills has made a few of these delightful videos over the years . The boat featured is Marionette , owned by a friend of mine , Bruce. The other boat , A 18 is Tawera , a 1930's Logan also owned and sailed by friends.
    She belongs in this thread too ( and I have spoken about her before) because she, like Windhaven, were well known Californian boats in another life and domiciled here now.
    She's interesting because she's a boat built to a very high standard for a prestigious family .An early glued strip hull over frames and all noble fastenings. A lot of beautiful bronze framing and knees in her. I seem to recall she's early '70's?
    Anyway , after selling out of her original family ownership she fell on hard times , became a drug runner , was seized and eventually came back on the market in a tired state with some of her glued seams coming apart.
    Bruce bought her in San francisco and as he does , just quietly hauled her and proceeded to skin her with 2 extra layers of AYC, making her a new hull effectively. He then sailed her to NZ over 2 or 3 years , leaving her in a port in the Sea of Cortez and then Tahiti.
    Last edited by John B; 01-30-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Matari parked next to us on Saturday night, surprised at how narrow it is. Nice boat.
    whatever rocks your boat

A friend of mine is the skipper on Windhaven, apparently its 47 tons! The current owner went to buy the Gardiner engine advertised for sale in it then discovered it was surrounded by all this old timber in the form of a boat, promptly fell in love and spent a million on the rebuild at YDL
    whatever rocks your boat

Windhaven had a Panzer tank engine in her, a Deutz from memory, but that was replaced with the gardiner before the previous restoration went belly up.

LFH designed the Marco Polo with narrow beam so as to be efficiant under power. She is fast under sail as well.
    Jay
    This one is for sale.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1956...s#.WnDp5IJG3sc

I just know ya'll are breathlessly waiting to hear about the dinghy in the original photo, yes?
    That is much maligned and mistreated Black Pig, the glass dinghy that came with Waione when we bought her in 1983. because it was glass and lime green we tragically mistreated it for several decades. Its been sunk a couple of times, Rammed in a race , crash landed on a conctrete ramp in 20 or 30 knots onshore numerous times, barged us around with a 2 hp in Waione when we we unpowered for a number of years, more recently was split longwise after being towed at 20 behind a fishing tinny and a couple of years ago , stolen from the viaduct basin in town. The thieves felt remorseful and left a note telling my boy where to find it a mile or two up harbour.
    So I've developed a grudging respect for the thing....