Thread: Black Sails

Default Black Sails

The skipper of the sailing barge 'Overwinning', which means 'Victory', has a very good set of sails. My son is a deck hand on the boat, and they told me that in light weather they could do better. Some of their collegues have used spinnakers that fit more or less, and I proposed we would make a gennaker together: Ik would do the sewing, they the gluing, and we woul duse second cloth that costs about 40 % of the normal price. So I measured the fore triangle and took that and a picture of the boat to Jan Miedema Sails, who filled in the measurements, and then the perimeters of the sail We decided to make a gennaker as big as we could handle. No straight luff or stripper, to maximize the sail and keep the costs down. Jan designed a radial sail with horizontal panels between the radial stuff.
    Other classes are not allowed to use sails like this, they must use vertical cut sails, but no one thought to restrict us. My volunteers glued and I was kept busy with my sewing machine. Soon the tables were filled with black cloth that soaked up the light. The 'Overwinning' has black sails so the genny would be black too. The skipper had dreams of the competition who saw a black cloud approaching and losing morale.
    I moved my machine to the stairs where the cloth cascaded down, helping with the transport ( I have no puller) and in a week the sail was complete. To do the edges we rented a bigger sailloft where the owner, a young strong woman, helped me to handfinish the last part.
    The first time the boat was in a race I received a text from Joris:' Wind so light we needed cigarettesmoke to see it. We did 1 knot. Hoisted genny and speed up to 3,6 knots'.
    This fall I was on board in a race and saw the sail first time life. We won the race, and the skipper started, ' Oh Lord, it is hard to be humble...'
    As reward we got the use of the boat for a weekend, and we had a great time with a company af 15 , family and friends. It was so nice that we are doing that now for the fourth time this spring. Two nights on the boat, crossing the Waddenzee to Terschelling, when it is still to cold at night, but we have a good stove. The last time Joris was skipper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Black Sails

Very cool, FF! That is a really big boat and a really big sail! It’s nice to have your hard work rewarded.

That's a huge sail. Do you think they'll change the rules so it becomes illegal.

Thanks Steven, very big sail for me. 200 sq. Meter and usually I do sails for Cal. Yawls or smaller boats, but sometimes I can't resist a challenge. And those weekends are really great.
    Hwyl, I don't think they will change the rules. These races are a bit friendlier than the Skutsje sil races, not to mention the Lemster Aken where race results are decided by lawyers instead of the racing committee.

Strange, Weird, Bizarre, Exotic and Fantastic! OFS!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 01-29-2018 at 12:18 PM.

A ship with black sails, and a crew so evil that Hell itself spat them out!
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

Aye matee, time to raise the Jolly Roger.

Carbon fiber?

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Carbon fiber?
    It was terylene, Probably from Dimension Polyant with a rather hard finish. Tonight I wil ask my son, skipper, why the working sails are black. I will try find a picture from the skipper/owner so you may change yore judgment. You may even decide you would like to sail with them. It won't cost you your soul.

Looks like fun! On the black question, I have replaced white/translucent slides on a boat. When researching the material I noted that only black was recommended for exterior use, telling me that the color blocked UV from penetrating the surface. Should work the same for cloth. (The boat owners didn't want black.)

I don' t know about slides. But sailcloth sometimes has a UV filter, for instance the Sunwing Tanbark had it and Drascombes had that cloth for sails and often did not use sailcovers. Btw that cloth is not made anymore

Be careful with black sails. When Theseus came back from Crete, he forgot to change the black sail to a white one (to show he was alive) and his father, the king, jumped off a cliff. I was told as a very new sailor that that's why sails are never black.

Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    Be careful with black sails. When Theseus came back from Crete, he forgot to change the black sail to a white one (to show he was alive) and his father, the king, jumped off a cliff. I was told as a very new sailor that that's why sails are never black.

Tony.
    Obviously never heard of that in Norfolk
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The first time I sailed on a ferrocement Falmouth Working Boat it had black sails, made from black cotton from the Suez crisis. Meant for curtains to block the light.

jac.jpg Tjalk Jacoba. I wonder about the Plimsoll Mark

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    jac.jpg Tjalk Jacoba. I wonder about the Plimsoll Mark
    Just so

Red sails though
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

P1030477.jpg Now something completely different, for a lower freeboard cannot be healthy.This is a Maurice Griffiths boat in steel. The owner wanted an easy Dutch type of rig, and the present owner, his son, wondered about an geriatric replacement rig where everything is rolled up with push buttons. I talked him out of it and these are his new, almost black, sails.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    P1030477.jpg Now something completely different, for a lower freeboard cannot be healthy.This is a Maurice Griffiths boat in steel. The owner wanted an easy Dutch type of rig, and the present owner, his son, wondered about an geriatric replacement rig where everything is rolled up with push buttons. I talked him out of it and these are his new, almost black, sails.
    That is really good looking. I sailed a Scheldeschouw across the Atlantic in 1980, but it had the bermudan rig and white sails.

Thanks Gareth, I just looked up the Scheldeschouw and saw to my surprise the early boat had almost the same rig, so I guess they changed later to bermudan. Great to hear you crossed the Atlantic in that boat. Most owners here see them more for coastal work, and when you look at the space inside they would be real nice liveaboards. I am particular fond of this gaff rig, I think 4 cornered sails are visually far more interesting then bermudan sails

Yes, I like four cornered sails too. I was a young man when I sailed that boat. It had been bought byan American as a honeymoon gift.

It went down wind well but not much else. A very roomy boat for it's size. I would copy the big hatch from the galley to the cockpit, if I were to build a 35 foot boat.

That was another era, we had a nice "sailor" radio receiver, but no other electronics.

You answered my other question as well. Btw I saw an example for sale, nice gaff rig, bilge keels so less draft. Consider her a motorsailer.

A motor sailer would be nice from the point of view of my health, but no thank you.

Some other things I liked: The anchor windlass could be used to lower and raise the mast, and the pulpit hinged up too, to provide "easy legs" for the mast lowering and raising.

I also liked the heavy steel tube, welded in at the chine, it made the boat rugged.

I see leeboards in Dutch are "side swords" a great name.

End of thread drift.

pie.jpg The Pieper Race is the first race of the sailing season in the weekend of 7 and 8 of april. The Pieperrace, pieper is slang for potato, is organised to commemorate how these boats brought potatoes from Friesland to Volendam from where it was distributed among the starving population of Amsterdam and other cities just after WW2.
    The first boat, the Overwinning (with my gennaker, and son on board) won the races.
    Last edited by FF; 04-12-2018 at 10:28 AM.