Thread: Jersey Speed Skiff on Jersey Shore CL

Default Jersey Speed Skiff on Jersey Shore CL

NedL, I think this one has your name on it.

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/b...435888271.html

What a pretty little boat. Looks like the boating equivalent of a 50's hot rod that has been sitting untouched in someone's garage for the last 60 years so it missed the metalflake-paint-and-billet-everything craze.

Default Re: Jersey Speed Skiff on Jersey Shore CL

you've got it pretty bad if you're checking craigslists on the other coast !

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    you've got it pretty bad if you're checking craigslists on the other coast !
    Ha! Yeah it seems like that doesn't it? But actually it showed up in my Facebook feed. I think it was posted to the WBF Facebook group.

Is that a tab on the transom bottom, or part of the trailer?

The seller has his nomenclature mixed up. That boat appears to be a Seaman Sea Skiff. So-called, "Jersey Sea Skiffs," were built by many builders and even Chris-Craft copped the name for a few models. The names, Sea Skiff, and Jersey Sea Skiff, are held in high regard, as a general purpose, rough water boat, even here, the next state up the coast.

But a Jersey Speed Skiff is a racing boat. Here is an example.

And another:

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

^^^ sure, it's a racing class now, but the racing class evolved from boats used for fishing. The builder of the boat for sale is called the "Father of the N.J. Speed Skiffs" here:

http://www.venomccracing.com/JS-History.html

so I think this boat not only counts as a Speed Skiff, it seems like it's one of the originals.

^^^ sure, it's a racing class now, but the racing class evolved from boats used for fishing.
    Well, I would say that evolving from something and being something are two different things. You agree?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

^^^ Splitting hairs. Just because there is a modern racing class with the name "Jersey Speed Skiffs" now doesn't mean that the boats which predated the current, sanctioned and codified racing class are suddenly not Jersey Speed Skiffs any longer. My point was that the racing class is named after the original type and evolved from that type. Again, reading the history of the class makes it pretty clear that's what happened. http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/J...peedSkiffs.htm. And I don't know that much about the JSS class. There's every chance that the CL boat could be legal for it given suitable safety mods.

^^

Yeah, he built different kinds of boats. One builder. Different boats. Happens all the time.

That fact doesn't make the boat in the ad inferior ( or superior). Just different.

Kevin

It's just a Craigslist ad. I don't want to argue about it. Its a cool as hell boat.

Kevin

I'll agree with that! A very cool boat.

Uhmmmm,.... actually Chris has it. The speed skiff is a specific variant of the Jersey sea skiff. This is a Jersey speed skiff. Harold “Pappy” Seaman was The Godfather of the speedskiff and built the first one (“PJ”) in 1922. (Interestingly, as a 13 year old child Pappy also helped his father build “Fox”, the first boat rowed across the Atlantic.
    I know this boat and her owner Mick Griffin pretty well. He has been trying to get me to take her on for about ten years now. (I already have a wood speed skiff that is older, .. have had it for more than 40 years). There is a near sistership still right where they were built in Long Branch NJ. Do a quick google on “Jersey speed skiff Suds”, She is gorgeous!
    Pappy Seaman called them speed skiffs Long before this one was built.

This boat would meet the current APBA class rules as a Jersey speed skiff, though the nuances of hull development make this one seriously not competitive today. The Jersey speed skiff is one of the oldest inboard APBA classes (sanctioned class since 1948).

Pappy Seaman actually built only eight inboard speed skiffs (at least 4 of which are known to survive today). Pappy also built an outboard well version, and built 96 of those. A number of other builders built outboard well versions too. It is also quite possible that it was an outboard well Jersey speed skiff that Tollman found in the marshes down south and used as the basis for his now famous Tollman skiff.

There were many local builders of Jersey speed skiffs and they all had their own traits.

Pappy Seaman built his speed skiffs without a squatt board (as the early trim tabs were called). Pappy actually set adjustable bronze wedges into the bottom. This speed skiff does have a later trim tab added. The suatt boards that the other builders incorporated were actually made by simply running the bottom planking back behind the transom. Different builders had different shaped squatt boards, Forsberg had crescent shaped ones, Mulford and Tollman had big triangular ones (extend about 19” behind the transom), some had semicircle shaped squatt boards.

The Jersey speed skiff is really a pretty neat boat. It is one of the few true race boats that can race competitively one day and and be used as a very capable little skiff the next day. Every September (after the yahoos are off the water) there is a rendezvous of speed skiffs in Long Branch NJ where 2-3 dozen skiffs gather for a day of fun on the river. Typically there are boats from 1940’s wood skiffs up to current APBA raceboats with cages all on the water at once.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nedL; 01-29-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Suds. She has a 6 cylinder flat head Graymarine for power.
    Last edited by nedL; 01-29-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Pretty awesome Ned! I'd love to get a ride in one some day. Might even rival motorcycle racing for pure speed thrills.

Wow, that transom is running dry!

They are a unique boat to say the least. (and I will have to admit it a bit of a love it or hate it kind of boat.) People who are used to 100mph jet boats and deep-V race boats get in one of these and can't believe the trill.
    They turn like they are on rails. If your passenger is holing onto the gunwale you can actually put the boat into a tun and get their finger tips wet.

I had this one for six years.