Thread: Norway in early May

Default Norway in early May

A while back I recall a thread on things wooden boat wise to see in Norway but I don't recall the thread and searches come up with too much stuff. Perhaps someone can. Or just send recommendations.

Plan right now is a couple of weeks. One will be playing researcher on things qajaq and Amundsen in the Oslo area so we will catch all of the sights. And a week to wander. I can't recall where the biggest stashes of traditional Norwegian boats are located. I know about the Fosen folk high school in Rissa near Trondheim. Wonder about taking the steamer along the coast for some bit, say Bergen up to Trondheim.

Ideas?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Default Re: Norway in early May

Ben,
    This was posted a few days ago on another thread. http://www.fartoyvern.no/aktuelt
    The museum is up the coast near Bergan on the Hardanger. I can ask my cousin that lives on the fjord if you would like. Pm me.
    Last edited by navydog; 01-27-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Ben,
    This was posted a few days ago on another thread. http://www.fartoyvern.no/aktuelt
    The museum is up the coast near Bergan on the Hardanger. I can ask my cousin that lives on the fjord if you would like. Pm me.
    Thanks, more information the better.
    I have Sunnmore on the list as well as the Bergen MM and the Norwegian Fisheries museum. Be nice to find a faering for a row.

It'll be interesting to sort the transportation options as well. Doing these coastal towns looks like it is the steamer getting off and on, or a car driving out and back up the peninsulas.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Not the thread you are searching for, but look at that scenery: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...n-fjord-rowing

Ben,
    They rent boats at the

"From boat rentals to Hardanger Coastal Trail
    Hardanger Coastal Trail where found in 2008. Coasters fined it after a quarter of many coastal towns. Kystlei is a cooperation between the Federation Coast, the Norwegian Tourist Board and the open air council. Most of the coastal villages are driven by a local law of the three parent organizations. Hardanger coastline hosted by the Hardanger Ship Protection Center. I have an open-air center that treats you as a guest when you come and you are righteous in the use of one of our traditional rowing boats."

The translation is a bit wonky but you get the idea.

Thanks

Poking aroind: Oslo to Bergen, Bergen to Hardanger and back, then up the coast to Alesund, Alesund to Throndheim to Rissa then back to Oslo, by bus train and ferry. Could be fun. Long haul going up te Alesund and the run back to Oslo isn't short. We can easily burn through a couple of weeks and a couple of yachting units. Splitting costs might be cost effective but not so amusing to rent a car.
    Ben Fuller

My wife and I visited Norway in November. Oslo is relatively small and easy to get around. We stayed near the concert hall and found the location convenient. Viking ship museum was a 15-minute bus ride. I found there is a boat building community down by Holmsbu south of Oslo but didn't get there.

[IMG]Untitled by Gary Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    Untitled by Gary Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

The author of this book has a shop near Tromso - next town north of Trondheim on the ferry.

On the boat north of Bergen. The maritime museum in Bergen is nice with lots of WWII exhibits. We took the boat from Bergen to Kirkenes over a week.

We thought Trondheim was the prettiest town north of Bergen. You can walk to it all.
    [IMG]
    Untitled by Gary Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

We met Fred Osti from the WBF in Tromso. He met us at the boat and took us over to the federation boathouse. Some beautiful boats there if you can get that far north. It was the highlight of the trip for me. I'll post a couple of images from Fred's place separately.

Norway was beautiful in November and I suspect will be unbelievable in May. We took the train to Bergen and highly recommend it. Windows are big enough on the train it doesn't matter where you sit.

Gary

Federation boathouse with Fred in Tromso.

I never realized how much warmer Norway is in winter. Golf Stream. Crocuses will bloom in here early May.You know, I adore Norway and countries like this country. There is in them some kind of soul and energy of freedom. But this country is quite cold in the climate and it is very easy to get sick, which is why health there when traveling is not a small role. When I travel, I often open sites like medicine for all to know the ways of treating if there are symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    Federation boathouse with Fred in Tromso.

[/IMG]

No no no Gary! You were in Bodø when we met !!!!

I sailed the "helgeland coast" once in may. This part of the route from Trondheim to Bodø is in my opinion the most beautiful part of our coast, and you also have the sun almost all night this time of year in the north. And if I have the time, I give you a tour in the shed you see in Garys photos. (WBF member spesial offer)

Regards Fred

I guess my dementia is setting in a little early. Sorry for the obvious glitch Fred.

Gary

My experience in Norway, is that it's hard to get away from boats Just occasionally wear some WB swag, and you'll be assaulted. Plan on two days for the Fram, Kon Tiki, Viking Bigdoyalmost island, don't forget Gjoa, which is a little overshadowed.

BE prepared for knowledgeable, exceedingly friendly people and eye watering prices

Guys, that's a lot of emotions and memories connected with Norway. The culture and history of this country is so old and beautiful that I already get lost. I usually blog about art, which you can see here. Norway and art, the concepts are not far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielCurry View Post
    Guys, that's a lot of emotions and memories connected with Norway. The culture and history of this country is so old and beautiful that I already get lost. I usually blog about art, which you can see here. Norway and art, the concepts are not far apart.
    So nice to hear all the nice words about my country in this forum!

btw. DanielCurry, I see you live in Miami. We are going to Miami this summer a few days before attending a cruise in Caribean. (Yeah I know its terrible hot, but that was our option...:-)) Do you have any recomondations for a group of people interested in cars and wooden boats?

Thanks for the tips so far. Plane tickets are booked; my partner is flying out of Halifax and I out of Boston; we should have almost 15 days there and a base with a friend who builds and teaches qajaq building. Figuring a few days or more in Oslo as we have some research to do in one of the Inuit collections then walkabout to some of the places listed on the forum.

A related question: planning a Viking days event at Mystic Seaport the weekend before the WoodenBoat Show. We should be able to gather in half a dozen faerings from different areas, do some demos, so could be interesting. Somewhere I have seen a graphic showing the Norse coast with profiles of some of the boats typical of the area. I've looked in my book collections: Inshore Craft, Norse boatbuilding in North American, and the Eldjarn Godal series but don't find it. Maybe in a WB article?
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Thanks for the tips so far. Plane tickets are booked; my partner is flying out of Halifax and I out of Boston; we should have almost 15 days there and a base with a friend who builds and teaches qajaq building. Figuring a few days or more in Oslo as we have some research to do in one of the Inuit collections then walkabout to some of the places listed on the forum.

A related question: planning a Viking days event at Mystic Seaport the weekend before the WoodenBoat Show. We should be able to gather in half a dozen faerings from different areas, do some demos, so could be interesting. Somewhere I have seen a graphic showing the Norse coast with profiles of some of the boats typical of the area. I've looked in my book collections: Inshore Craft, Norse boatbuilding in North American, and the Eldjarn Godal series but don't find it. Maybe in a WB article?
    Ben

This one possibly http://www.vikingskip.com/trebaater_norge.htm

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    No no no Gary! You were in Bodø when we met !!!!

I sailed the "helgeland coast" once in may. This part of the route from Trondheim to Bodø is in my opinion the most beautiful part of our coast, and you also have the sun almost all night this time of year in the north. And if I have the time, I give you a tour in the shed you see in Garys photos. (WBF member spesial offer)

Regards Fred
    Fred

Working out the routes on the May trip. I understand that you are in Bodø, which may be too far north for us to reach. It will depend on how much time the research work on qajaq and the Amundsen collections in Oslo will take. What would be the best way to travel if we do have the time? We may be able to borrow a car but I'd rather do rail/boat etc.

I have Hardanger, Bergen, and the Folkschool in Risso on the list right now.
    Ben Fuller

Yes its a long way only to visit Bodø I guess.
    There is some passenger routes with catamarans https://177nordtrondelag.no/turist/ and https://www.177nordland.no/index.php...&ac_parent=280 but I dont know details here. (chose english)

Travel by car along the costal route you have many beautiful scenarios, but its time consuming as there are many ferries.

Fastest route is to follow Europe-road E6 north, but thats the least maritime experience also...

eh sorry,,, Fastest is airplane 60 minutes Trondheim airport Værnes to Bodø

regards Fred

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk