Thread: Anybody come across a Minneapolis Minn table saw before ?

Default Anybody come across a Minneapolis Minn table saw before ?

I asked the seller for a brand or model number, but didnít get a clear answer. Seller says the saw was used a bit when they moved into the house in 1968. Since, sat in the basement the last 50 years

Iím a sucker for old tools. Has anybody come accross a saw like this, and can give a little more information ?

https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/tls/6445933328.html

Default Re: Anybody come across a Minneapolis Minn table saw before ?

This looks like an old Shopmaster, pretty sure, since the were made in Minneapolis.
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 01-29-2018 at 09:47 PM.
    Steve Martinsen

It looks like the rail on the front of the table, for the fence. is not right. Either it is installed wrong or it has moved out of position over the fifty years of storage. It is bent in the middle, about ten degrees, it is blocking the miter slots, and would be a problem. But it mounts with hefty screws so it can be fixed and fettled. The cast iron table looks like my sixties vintage Craftsman, the side extensions look like they might also be cast iron. If the motor is good, seventy-five bucks for it seems like a deal. The only thing left to consider is whether the arbor and blade raising and blade angle cast parts are good,

On the side of the main casting, the body of the saw, above Minnesota Minn, is the brand name Shopmaster. Putting that together with Smartinsen's post above, maybe Shopmaster is an earlier iteration of Shopmith? The vintage machine site is great, though, for me, it is often frustrating and tantalizing to try to match some vintage find with the limited user listings.The tools I find are often some oddball thing that isn't actually listed and only looks like the ones in the listing, ot is just an inexpensive generic machine branded by whoever sold it. like the ubiquitous benchtop drill press. Ankle Deep nailed it.

I love the old ad; forty-five bucks for a new eight inch tablesaw sounds very competitive with early Delta or Boyce Crain. Sturdy stuff. And if it's in fettle-able shape, it's probably just right for a small boat shop.

From the craigslist Fairbanks ad.

From the vintage machine link above:

Last edited by Jim Mahan; 01-29-2018 at 06:50 AM.
    Prehumous Entrepid Enplorer of the Innerverse

Would there be any problem getting 8” blades ? I have a friend that got a really old lathe. The lathe was missing some part, missing a 7/8”th, mandrel, collet, or something. Whatever this part was, 7/8ths was no longer an industry standard

as a general rule, when it comes to old saws are there compatibility issues going forward: getting 8” blades, bearings, and other routine wear items ?

Reminds me of my old 8" Atlas that was my first saw when I went into the boat building business. Love that cast iron!

You can use any standard 7-1/2" circular saw blade. Dirt cheap and ubiquitous.

They still make 8” blades but I just use a skill saw blade in the old clunker at the cottage.

Quote Originally Posted by Akpaddler View Post
    Would there be any problem getting 8Ē blades ? I have a friend that got a really old lathe. The lathe was missing some part, missing a 7/8Ēth, mandrel, collet, or something. Whatever this part was, 7/8ths was no longer an industry standard

as a general rule, when it comes to old saws are there compatibility issues going forward: getting 8Ē blades, bearings, and other routine wear items ?
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...knijwu53_e_p37

It is worth a look. The rail and a table extension look like they need adjustment. Whether it is bent or the picture is at a bad angle is hard to say. If the bar is bent, it could probably be straightened. You could even make an aluminum replacement using the saw itself to cut a bar or plate to size.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

you can use any blade that will fit..
    you just lose a bit of depth of cut (obviously)

one nice thing is, with a thinner kerf, a small motor will have an easier time turning the blade