Thread: Is tehere anybody who have Tahiti Ketch?

Default Is tehere anybody who have Tahiti Ketch?

Is there anybody who have Tahiti Ketch?

Hi everyone..

I am planning to construct Tahiti ketch in Turkey. I read lot of recommendations therefore before to start , I want to sail with her.

If anyone have her and spend some time with me or inform to me the person who have her if possible..

I need two hours sail and two hours to investigate how she built..

Thank you..

Ersin

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Is tehere anybody who have Tahiti Ketch?

I have a similar boat.
    Mine is a little bigger, a little faster, a lot easier to build.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...tch&highlight=

Great reminder of a great thread, wizbang 13. Ersin, give it some thought - nothing wrong with bigger, faster, and easier to build.

Some designs, like the Venus are all about getting the best lines from the material. Some, like my Meg (threads with LastBoat in the title) are mostly easy to plank but the bow hood ends of the garboards needed steaming to take the bend and twist. And still others, like Crosby catboats, have so much bend and twist in the planks near the waterline and even with meticulous steaming very experienced boatbuilders can break three or four to get one hung.

It's not always easy to tell from the lines alone how easily she'll plank up. Ersin, you are right to be asking about the design or designs that hold your fancy.

G'luck

Read that the original design was dreadfully slow.
    May be able to soup it up a bit.

Was one for sell in Bellingham Wa., about a year ago. It was down by the docks. No idea if it's still there.
    Bit out of the way for you I expect.
    basil

Dear Vizbang13 thabnk you fory your answer.

I read all the thread that you mentioned. What a inteligency.. smart , easy and cheap way to build the boat . The hull is different than Tahiti. So similar to pilot cutters. I think this is the reason that your boat is fast.. How can I find more information about lovely boat. ?

Dear Ian, maybe you are right, I should think little bit bigger.

Or consider one of the William Atkin double enders .This Vixen.http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Vixen.html

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Atkin had an interesting theory he called "Atkinizing" the lines. If you look at Vixen's waterlines you'll see marked symetry fore and aft. No "raking waterline" - widest part of each next up waterline is abaft the lower - that's more normal. But, if you study the profile and section plans, you see that there's a brilliant and subtle asymetry that allows the bow to encounter the water with less fuss and the stern to release the hull's grip on the water smoothly. For a modestly plump boat the Vixen type leave little wake. Some of Atkin's leaner Atkinized plans leave almost as little wake as a skinny L. Francis Herreshoff hull.

The "cod's-head and mackerel-tail" theory of naval architecture was the first actually scientific attempt at boat design. In the way of science, it led to great advancement in human knowledge by being a profoundly wrong theory. Boat's don't really move through water the way a cube of ice melts in a current. If anything, it's the other way around. (For enthusiastic Forum blather on this topic, see http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...esign-sailboat)

I mention the cod&mackerel by way of comparison. Atkinized lines for displacement hulls feels wonderful, and boats planned that way are certainly seakindly. Atkin advanced persuasive prose as to why the symetry is good but I'm not aware of his backing that with tank testing. I am also not sure that tank testing is a definitive test for boats meant for routinely sailing in weather that most people prefer to experience through very strong double pane windows safely ashore. Atkinized hulls might not be sailing rockets but they are certainly not slugs, turning in respectable passage times with crews making landfall in comfort. So why doesn't every NA Atkinize? I don't know. Atkinizing may be a theory with little actual validity but, unlike the cod&mackerel, it's a theory that at least does not lead to bad boats.

Yesterday Istanbul was really cold but I miss the sailing and with a few wind I sailed with my cutter. Except the top sail, all sails were hoist. One of sea taxi passed me and turn back and take some pictures and video.

Uffa Fox wrote about crossing the Atlantic in Atkin's Typhoon https://aerbook.com/books/Sailing_Se...tion-6537.html

Bill Nutting and Billy Atkin were both on the staff of Motor Boat, a New York magazine, and if we remember this fact when looking at Typhoon’s lines they do not appear so unbalanced. The easy hollow bow and the powerful stern are typical of motor boats, which tend to squat by the stern through the propeller kicking away the ground or rather the water from under their quarters. Typhoon’s lines, every time I look at them, bring to my eyes a picture of two sailing men, lovers of sail, made through force of circumstances prisoners in the offices of a Motor Boat Journal, and while there, being unable to stifle their love of sail any longer, they break out with a sailing boat, which to appear in their paper must bear a strong resemblance to a motor boat.

That was a long time before he developed Atkinizing, and probably taught him some lessons.
    Peter Belenky