Thread: It's 'glass, but it's cool...LiteBoatXP

Default It's 'glass, but it's cool...LiteBoatXP

LiteboatXP...a couple did the R2AK in a liteboat scull last year. Now Liteboat, which is a french company has come out with this.

http://rowandsail.liteboat.fr/

pictures.. http://rowandsail.liteboat.fr/medias/

Here's one BIG picture, to tweak your interest.

http://www.liteboat.fr/wp-content/up...4170480738.jpg

makes me think of a more sailing-oriented "Walkabout". Single, unstayed carbon rig, either catboat or sloop---eminently rowable --- enough of a cabin to give you a warm place to sleep, and you can sit up without busting your skull. It's a rowing and sailing cruiser, not withstanding the kinda-WBF-copyrighted concept of "sail and oar".

Default Re: It's 'glass, but it's cool...LiteBoatXP

I would think that something very similar could be built in plywood, maybe "tortured" plywood, or cold molded.

Wonder how it does in chop? All of their pics show pretty flat water. Johnstone Strait gets pretty rambunctious at times

reminds me of Bedard's "river of grass" expedition boat.

https://www.bedardyachtdesign.com/de...micro-cruiser/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    I would think that something very similar could be built in plywood, maybe "tortured" plywood, or cold molded.
    A French designer, Gilles Montaubin, has plans for several boats in this vein.
    Last edited by Mike V.; 01-26-2018 at 02:47 AM.

Nope - not for me. Too much based on a racing dinghy and impractical for the type of sailing I have in mind. But whatever lights your candle.

I like Bedard's take on this better. But in both boats, one doesn't have a comfortable cockpit that lends itself to full days on the water in all sorts of conditions. I'd rather be slow and comfortable than fast and stressed!
    -Dave

well, I do not know about the LiteBoat, but I know Bedard's boat was designed as a "raid" boat for the Everglades Challenge. This is why the River of Grass is named as such. Considering it is designed to be a quick expedition style boat, I think it fits it's design brief well. It's not meant to be comfortable sailing in all weather, it's meant to be quick so you don't have to. Being lightweight and shallow drafted, I am not sure I would want to be out in it during a storm anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Wonder how it does in chop? All of their pics show pretty flat water. Johnstone Strait gets pretty rambunctious at times
    Yep, many of the Euros seem to love the very wide stern designs apparently inspired by Open 60s - but development-class dinghy designers found out about 30 years ago that it was best to keep the stern narrower for all-round performance and to stop them nosediving in chop.

The Lightcraft does look rather sweet. It would be interesting to hear what the rowing experts think of her.