Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: Arrested aesthetic development

Default Re: Arrested aesthetic development

Welp. Put the 16L tank and short/wide seat on. These are from a '72 cb450.

Back seat fits hinge location and rests correctly on tank, but floats above frame about an inch taller than the CL seat. Weird. I think may be the rear fender was mounted higher on the CL.

20180213_170614.jpg

What was your range on the other tank? And how comfortable is the new seat?

The original tank is only 9L. About 100 miles before needing the reserve pickup. This tank should add 80 or 90 miles to the effective range.

The seat is fine but it is taller and I am no longer able to rest the balls of my feet on the ground. On tippy toes.

Maybe I can find a way to lower it. Maybe just bend it.

Actually, I'm wrong, the front of the seat is not resting where it should, either. The seat needs to move back half an inch.

The CL seat uses two side hinges, the CB uses single rear. What I need to do is remove the rear hinge so the seat rest an inch lower, directly on the frame bridge, in back, and attach hinges on the side so it rests down on the frame like the original seat.

Well, the cargo rack turned into a whole "thing", too. Doesn't really fit right, forward forks barely reach the posts, and weight bearing bracket doesn't mate with signal light brackets. I made new signal light posts with axle bolts; cut the heads off and ground a wiring groove in them.

Removed hinge from the cb seat, now resting closer to where it should but I'm still contemplating how to attach it.

And bigger fish to fry: now on start up the motor runs away as if the throttle is wide open. I surmise I dislodged some crud in the tank switching process and now something is stuck open.

Anyway, with the seat settled in and the rack hacked into place:

20180217_153839.jpg

That kind of looks like the rack I put on the Nighthawk 450.

If I had a cool old bike like that in Oregon Id think about strapping on a tent and sleeping bag and taking a road trip to Summer Lake Hotsprings. Ive wanted to go there ever since reading about it in an Advrider ride report in 2012.

http://www.summerlakehotsprings.com/hotsprings.html

Something to think about, for sure, while the February rain comes down sideways and I get acquainted with my carburetors. And my brakes.