Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrested aesthetic development

Default Arrested aesthetic development

I've been thinking about a bike for low key tooling about the back roads.

Every bike that tickles my fancy was made in the '70's. Makes me think that the part of my brain that appreciates motorcycles stopped developing when I was 8.

This one is available locally.l

IMG_0050.JPG

Whattaya think, should I go have a look?

Default Re: Arrested aesthetic development

Most certainly. Good vintage for Honda's.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It's a classic, except for the shape of the tank. Triumph did it better.

Lovely bike - a friend had one that I rode often. A bit small for my tastes, but that is not a criticism. Reliable as all get-out, and you have to fill it with gas about once a month.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

When I was a sprat I wanted a motorcycle. Mostly because my two oldest brothers were into them. I was really hot on a BSA Lightning, as I recall.

Three of my four brothers had motorcycle accidents. Fortunately they were minor injuries in the form of broken limbs. They could just as easily have been fatal. I wasn't too interested after that.

I had a 1978 400cc honda twin, good tooling about bike, would pull an honest 80 on demand with a fair bit in hand - vice free handling, reasonable brakes.

Watch out for chain rattle - cams and balancer shafts.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Donít ask me. I have terrible taste in motorcycles.

Peace,
    Robert

I like the looks of that one -- too far away for me !!

Rick

Is that the one with the automatic transmission?

5 speed manual.

I threw a leg over. Pretty clean 40 year old bike.

Didn't buy it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    That doesn't quite look like a mid-life crisis motorcycle.
    There's two kinds of midlife crisiseses. I'm havin' t'other one.

We all go through this phase.
    Don't do it, unless of course it can't possibly happen to you. In which case ... you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    ?... unless of course it can't possibly happen to you.
    Wow, how did you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    ... Triumph did it better.
    As did Norton and BSA.

Last edited by JimD; 01-22-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Wow, how did you know.
    I bin there bro. But I chickend out/realised that I don't have the temperament so I bought a small british sports car instead. That way my hair can whip back and forth and I can be assured of a nice wee oil puddle in the garage,just as if it's a bsa or norton. Ps I still just want one of those.

I suffer from the same arrested development.

This, from 1977, is the correct shape for a motorcycle tank. And the correct colour. But the Honda is nice. I'd buy it. I had a 250 Superdream, which was gutless but handled OK, and the 400 model, which was just nice.

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

In my somewhat biased opinion, every motorcycle pictured on this thread is absolutely gorgeous - There, I said it !!!

Rick

Well, Nicholas Sheuer and JimD, Triumph and BSA did indeed do it better, but I highly doubt that either of the bikes you have shown could be had for $1,600. In fact, I doubt that you could buy either of them for that price if they were disassembled and in greasy cardboard boxes. Price does have consideration...

L.W., don't listen to the shrinking violets - if you want a motorcycle, buy a motorcycle. Nobody ever had fun who didn't take at least some amount of risk. It's not like you are thinking of buying a Ninja or Huyabusa.
    Last edited by mmd; 01-23-2018 at 08:11 AM.

I bought this little Honda Twinstar for $300:

B5AC1CBD-A2FA-49B2-9C2D-B270546F3F77.jpg

Fun to to ride around town but not for bigger trips. And no place for Trevor to sit.

I probably shouldn't comment, as motorcycles scare me. Ever since, through no fault of my own, I was forced to lay a small one down one evening. Familiar story: crossing auto traffic, and the mysterious motorcycle cloaking device some auto drivers leave engaged. Couple that with people behind the wheel burying their noses in their screens these days and...it's a jungle out there!

That said, I've thought highly of those 70's Honda twins. A friend in college had a CB 350 that always struck me as full of virtues: economical, reliable, easy handling. I imagine, but don't know, that parts and such will be more cheaply and readily available than for any of the Kraut or Brit bikes dreamed of. Price and miles sound right. Go for it!
    Last edited by ishmael; 01-23-2018 at 08:33 AM.

I share the love of the 1970's Hondas... had a Honda CL175 during my senior college year, and used to commute from Boston, to Lexington, on it... up and down notorious Rt 2, even in the rain.... something I wouldn't dream of doing now, on ANY bike... but when I was 19, I was, of course, immortal. I still owned it, up to the week where I was going to get married. Being poor college students, we needed money for the honeymoon, so I resigned myself and sold it.

A few days later, a check arrived from my Dad, for $1500, to pay for the honeymoon

I also once rode on the back seat of a Honda CB350, from Boston, to NY... it was owned by a little guy, who asked me along for ballast
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

My first motorcycle was exactly like the 1972 Honda CB350 shown below, except for some 'tweaking' of the engine internals. The second week I owned it I drove from Nova Scotia to Cape Cod and back in four days so I could go to a concert. Yup, I too suffered from Immortal Youth Syndrome.

Nortons and BSAs are thin on the ground around here. Even on eBay motors, not much selection at any price.

I do wonder a bit, as Jack touched on, about availability of parts and repairs, even for the fairly ubiquitous Honda. 40 years is pretty much antique at this point.

I've owned a couple old outboards, paid $500 once for a clutch dog before I came to my senses.

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    I imagine, but don't know, that parts and such will be more cheaply and readily available than for any of the Kraut or Brit bikes dreamed of.
    This is actually not correct. At least for the German bikes. Itís getting hard to find parts for the 70s and 80s Japanese bikes. The maunufacturers donít sell then so itís just eBay and some sketchy Asian replica places. But BMW still sell parts for all their bikes. Anytime Iíve needed anything for my 1981 R65 Iíve gone to the local dealer and either picked it up on the spot or theyíve ordered it and itís come in two days.

I needed a driver side mirror when I got the bike and the BMW dealer said sorry their isnít one of those at our warehouse in the US, itíll have to come from Germany. I was resigned to a long wait but was totally shocked when they called me 5 days later to say my mirror was in.

A couple of years ago a local BMW place, Maxís in Portsmouth, NH, had a big online event where they got a few mechanics together from all their locations and built a brand new 1979 BMW R90S from parts off the shelf. They web streamed the whole thing live.

Yes; I have never worried about parts for my BMWs. For the now departed 1988 K75RT I was even offered the choice of a real or "pattern spare" replacement rear disc. Everything is available for the 1977 R 60/7 in the picture above. Including the aftermarket sidestand that actually works and the Odyssey battery.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Maybe you should buy Tedís old BMW, Lee, if he really has to sell it. Heís the first owner, well, second, but the first guy never took it out of its shipping crate.

Or just get what Tedís getting, a new BMW G310GS:

There is a dichotomy existing here in the WBF that I just don't understand.

We happily encourage people with little experience to go out on the water in home-built small wooden craft despite the fact that people die from drowning, collisions with other boats, and other perils of the sea, but if someone suggests that they would like to ride a motorcycle, everybody jumps down their throat with warnings of dire and reckless dangers.

We post threads that glowingly extoll the joys of owning seventy- and eighty-year-old obscure, low-production-numbers cars, yet when someone suggests interest in buying a forty year old motorcycle that is one of the most ubiquitous brands and models in the world, folks jump in to warn them off because of perceived lack of parts for maintenance and repair.

Just for the hell of it, I Googled sources of points, brake pads, signal lights, and valve guides for the motorcycle in the OP. In under five minutes I found three reputable sources of supply in the USA whom had the parts in-stock.

Get that knot out of your panties, guys. To paraphrase the common retort about the plethora of political threads here, if you don't like motorcycles, move on; don't read the motorcycle threads.

Well don’t try to find a shift lever for an ‘82 Nighthawk, Michael. I’ve been looking for years.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Maybe you should buy Ted’s old BMW, Lee, if he really has to sell it...
    Pless thinks I should buy Ted's boat, you think I should buy Ted's bike, is Ted selling his house?

What I need probably is one of those $300 bikes to ride around the block a few times. Maybe it will pass.

Well, parts availability. Big plus! What's liable to go wrong on a Japanese machine? Carb, wiring, any rubber parts?...dunno, been away from bikes for a long time.

One thing leads to another. Next week, LW, you're liable to be riding a tricked out multi-trail, vintage Beemer from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego!

Re the old, crated, pristine bike find theme. A long-ago friend, Norton mechanic, had one of the last-built Commandos still in its original shipping crate. He and his father had a shop, and both had bought one! Don't know if either ever got out of the cosmoline.

You know what you should get. The worst motorbike ever made. Thereís thirty years of parts, and you can ride one anywhere.
    And they go pocka pocka.

Or, seriously, get a scooter. Mine is a blast.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    You know what you should get. The worst motorbike ever made. Thereís thirty years of parts, and you can ride one anywhere.
    And they go pocka pocka.

Or, seriously, get a scooter. Mine is a blast.

Peace,
    Robert

I think you are on to something here, Rob. He should get a scooter and enter it in the Scooter Cannonball Run!

https://www.scootercannonballrun.com/information/

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Pless thinks I should buy Ted's boat, you think I should buy Ted's bike, is Ted selling his house?

What I need probably is one of those $300 bikes to ride around the block a few times. Maybe it will pass.

Actually... No, just kidding.

If you didn’t live so far away, Lee, I’d lend you the Twinstar for the summer.

I agree about late '70s bike aesthetics; I've alway thought this was the Platonic Ideal of what a motorcycle should look like.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Stephen, I have contacted my buddy the Motorcycle Guy - what size Nighthawk do you have?