Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Maid of Endor model build

Default Re: Maid of Endor model build

She'e a right little ship there, Donald! Reading this makes me want to give it a try myself...and I would too, if I didn't have too many projects going already. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Jim!

I am sure everyone will be watching whatever you build.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Looking good, Don!

I hear you on the hassle of trying to source model hardware. It's out there, but getting the correct scale and the parts one needs is very difficult.

I gave up and went to "jeweler's school." I taught myself silver soldering with a jeweler's torch and how jewelers do it and haven't looked back. It's time consuming, but a lot of fun.

Here's my first effort at making a sliding gooseneck, scale shackles, and cleats on a 15' catboat "pocket cruiser." (Only photo handy.) A bit funky. (I've learned I have to do more cleaning up and not be so generous with the flux!) The scale is 3/4" to the foot. The photo is significantly larger than life. There's no way I could have found that gooseneck. Materials were brass tubing from the hobby shop and copper electrical wire and copper sheet.

Last edited by Bob Cleek; 03-25-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Looking good, Don!

I hear you on the hassle of trying to source model hardware. It's out there, but getting the correct scale and the parts one needs is very difficult.

I gave up and went to "jeweler's school." I taught myself silver soldering with a jeweler's torch and how jewelers do it and haven't looked back. It's time consuming, but a lot of fun.

Here's my first effort at making a sliding gooseneck, scale shackles, and cleats on a 15' catboat "pocket cruiser." (Only photo handy.) A bit funky. (I've learned I have to do more cleaning up and not be so generous with the flux!) The scale is 3/4" to the foot. The photo is significantly larger than life. There's no way I could have found that gooseneck. Materials were brass tubing from the hobby shop and copper electrical wire and copper sheet.

That is my preferred scale and my approach to making fittings, although my modelling does not require much hardware apart from rudder hangings.
    You can possibly get rid of the hairy cheap sisal look of the lines by pulling them over a nob of beeswax before reeving the rigging.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    You can possibly get rid of the hairy cheap sisal look of the lines by pulling them over a nob of beeswax before reeving the rigging.
    Not "possibly," but absolutely for certain a few runs across the beeswax block takes care of the fuzz. Unfortunately, for some reason, that piece seems to have been missed and, of course, looks ten times worse when enlarged in a close-up. Fortunately, it was an isolated mistake and isn't really noticeable when the model is viewed as a whole.

That's a nice looking model, Bob, a lot of boat for a fifteen footer, it looks like. Who's design is it?

Jim

[QUOTE=Bob Cleek;5517064]Looking good, Don!

Donald Branscom>I like it! It looks handmade and original and fits the model. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    That's a nice looking model, Bob, a lot of boat for a fifteen footer, it looks like. Who's design is it?

Jim
    Thanks, Jim. Actually, I misspoke. It's actually about 16'. The LOD for the model is right about at a foot. It came from 8"x11" Xerox copy of a sail-plan elevation drawing somebody gave me. It had no information on it as to who designed the boat. I started playing with it and filled in the blanks, so to speak. I didn't do any displacement calculations and just fiddled around with battens to develop three stations and the transom. I think it was a study plan for a home-built plywood boat, but the way the forefoot ended up, I think it would probably be rather difficult to plank the forefoot in plywood. (I carved the forefoot from a solid block of wood.) There's just enough room in the cuddy for a couple of berths. I think I got carried away with the rigging (which was the main point of building the model.) She came out looking like a character boat with a lot more detail than a boat her size would probably require. I probably got carried away with the mast hoops. They were great fun to make. I laminated thin plane shavings soaked in wood glue and wrapped around a mandrel wrapped in plastic wrap and then parted them off. It'd probably be a fun little boat to build for use in protected waters... if it didn't turn turtle right out of the gate! She probably needs a bit more of a centerboard, too.

Back to our feature film presentation....

More work on the Maid of Endor model rigging.
    I worked on the parrel beads and finally got the correct size I was wanting.

Prop installed.

Looking great!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore

Very nice. The detail work is impressive. Where will it be displayed?

This is the first winter I haven't build a model in a long time. Sometimes even Maine winters aren't long enough!
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    Very nice. The detail work is impressive. Where will it be displayed?

This is the first winter I haven't build a model in a long time. Sometimes even Maine winters aren't long enough!
    I bet the winters are cold enough right?

Plenty cold. More than enough snow too. Just too many projects kept me out of the basement and modeling. There should be another winter next year...
    Steve B
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

I finished the rigging including the running backstays.
    The next step is to build a display case.

Details:

Staysail boom
    Last edited by donald branscom; 04-11-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Really cool!

Donald, she came out great! It would be nice seeing a big one being finished too....
    Steve B
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

Very cool, Donald!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roosevelt, Theodore

Excellent workmanship!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Given the craftsmanship you've shown on the model, I can't wait to see what you do for the display case. Gorgeous!

Thanks for all of the comments!
    I am going to try to build a low cost display case.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Thanks for all of the comments!
    I am going to try to build a low cost display case.
    I'll be watching that with keen interest! I've always found the case to be by far the most expensive part of the exercise and after the work put into a model, it is folly to forego the case. Cases are, of course, essential if the model is to survive. Plastic cases done right almost must be made by professional shops like Tap Plastics and are surprisingly expensive. The current museum-quality conservation practices discard plastic cases because they say plastics out-gas acidic fumes that promote deterioration. I source my glass for cases from picture framing shops which have UV-resistant glass and can cut panes to size. Good glass isn't cheap, either. I'm guessing glass for a case for a nice model like the one you've just built will easily set you back a hundred bucks and then some. It's worth it, though, to protect the work of art you've made, even if the material for the model itself, being scraps and bits of materials most of us have laying around our shops, cost nothing. The art, which at the end of the day is you, is worth preserving.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you arrange the case frame. I've always found it a tricky job to get right. One of those things that makes you wish you had a third hand.

Your model is so good that it cries out for a traditional case to protect it. Making the three way moulding joint for the corners can be challenging
    but that is why the custom made ones cost a lot! I can assist you with it if you wish do your own.
    Jay

Bob Cleek you are right about the good glass. I will check with the place I get my glass from that frames my drawings.

Excellent job, Donald! Thanks for putting it up here for all of us at home to watch. She looks great!

Jim

Nice job Donald, you might see if you can find an acrylic fabricator locally that can make vitrines with PS 30 joints, a little pricy but definitely the museum exhibition standard; almost imperceptible joints, they look like a cube of acrylic hollowed out. I have ordered them for many musuem projects from Tubro in the Philadelphia area but I’m sure there must be one nearby, shipping is likely to cost as much as the vitirne itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Excellent job, Donald! Thanks for putting it up here for all of us at home to watch. She looks great!

Jim
    Thanks Jim!

Ive been watching from the back row Donald, you’ve done an amazing job on your model. All the pride of boat ownership and none of the hassles.
    Way to go.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 04-15-2018 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Ive been watching from the back row Donald, you’ve done an amazing job on your model. All the pride of boat ownership and none of the hassles.
    Way to go.
    Thanks andrewpatrol!

Display case building.
    I wanted to try something new.
    I found some aluminum screen moulding and it has a
    groove just large enough to slide in a sheet of plexiglass.

The top is mahogany and the bottom is Mahogany.
    The uprights are Maple held with stainless screws and glue.

This is the aluminum screen moulding.
    Plexiglas fits right in the groove.
    So I will not have to glue edges together. All I have to do is slide the plexiglass in .

The case is 41 inches long and 40 inches tall.
    The bowsprit on the model makes this a very large model!

The next step is sealer and varnish then install the plexiglass and finally the model itself.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 04-19-2018 at 01:32 PM.

I applied two coats of tung oil and today I put on a heavy coat of oil based polyurathane.

The arrow points to screen door moulding that will hold the plexiglass.

The holes are for posts to hold the model "Maid of Endor"
    Last edited by donald branscom; 04-21-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Given the craftsmanship you've shown on the model, I can't wait to see what you do for the display case. Gorgeous!
    Well, I will do my best. Thanks Hugh MacD

This a photo of the finished model in the case.

Really, really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Really, really nice!
    Thanks Hugh MacD!
    If I build another case I will use only wood and no screen mouldings.

I should build one giant model case to house all the models with just single glass slider on the front?

Your model turned out great Donald. I really like the close-up detailed photographs.

Roosevelt, Theodore