Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redeye1962
    • Feb 2010

Not Boat Related HRPT

The HOT ROD Power Tour event is billed as the largest traveling car show in the world.

My son and I went on this tour last year and had the time of our lives. We met some fantastic people and saw thousands of classic cars I thought did not exist anymore. I recommend doing this with your family as you will see parts of this great country that only existed in pictures. We are counting the days and getting the car ready.
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Re: Not Boat Related HRPT

The power tour is awesome.
    Tell us about your car.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Garret
      Hills of Vermont
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Paul Pless
      The power tour is awesome.
      Tell us about your car.
      Yes please!
      "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• redeye1962
        • Feb 2010

Not sure what happened to the pic but this is one of my son's cars which he bought just for the HRPT. The clearcoat was pealing on the roof so he wanted to paint a flag and of course the horns. It was featured as top 50 monster cars of the HRPT17 which was amazing. This was our departing pic. We made the mistake of camping out last year and was fine for the first couple of days then the wind stopped and the bugs came out. We stayed in a motel the next night which gave us our second wind. We figured the extra 20 dollars is worth the AC and a bed for this year. Hope to see some of you guys on the trip as it will be starting in Kentucky and headed over to the east coast a bit.
        Last edited by redeye1962; 04-28-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• redeye1962
          • Feb 2010

Getting her ready for HRPT this year. He wanted to do the American flag last year then we ran into trouble on how to do all those stars without a lot of paint bleeding so we did the Texas flag. This year we are incorporating the American flag on the side of the car. Will keep updates coming as we are so looking forward to this years event. We already decided camping is out of the question and getting our hotels lined up.
          31670924_651761101830823_8165062004579500032_n.jpg

Comment

• SMARTINSEN
            Transplanted Yankee
            • Dec 2006

Great, show us some action shots of the paint job progresses.
            Steve Martinsen

Comment

• redeye1962
              • Feb 2010

So here is a pic of last years car and what we have done so far. The Stars are complete (middle pic) and we mocked the stripes (last pic). Pretend the blue tape is white and will be the opposite on the other side of the Texas flag. We are digging this design so far and having a blast doing it. We are not professional painters and we are using rattle cans but we are getting better every year.
              IMG_1127.jpg
              IMG_2609a.jpg
              IMG_2611a.jpg
              Last edited by redeye1962; 05-01-2018, 05:06 AM.

Comment

• redeye1962
                • Feb 2010

Got one side of the stripes completed. It is raining so we have to postpone the other side.
                IMG_2617a.jpg

Comment

• David W Pratt
                  • May 2005

No snow in the Summer; they could come North of the Mason-Dixon Line

Comment

• redeye1962
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by David W Pratt
                    No snow in the Summer; they could come North of the Mason-Dixon Line
                    Looks like we are staying towards the south. I heard a discussion of why we do not head north and from what I heard was the roads could not handle the mass of people/traffic. Not sure if that is true.
                    Last edited by redeye1962; 05-04-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                      pinko commie tree hugger
                      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by redeye1962
                      I heard a discussion of why we do not head north and from what I heard was the roads could not handle the mass of people/traffic. Not sure if that is true.
                      Woodward Dream Cruise Detroit, Michigan -->> The Motor City

eight lanes wide for ten miles, making for a twenty mile loop. . .

and the there's the side streets. . .

Last edited by Paul Pless; 05-04-2018, 04:21 PM.
                      Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• redeye1962
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Paul Pless
                        Woodward Dream Cruise Detroit, Michigan -->> The Motor City

eight lanes wide for ten miles, making for a twenty mile loop. . .

and the there's the side streets. . .
                        Well that takes care of 10 miles of a 1200 mile journey.

Comment

• redeye1962
                          • Feb 2010

Getting the clear coat on now. Not too bad for a rattle can project. Will begin sanding in a few days. we only have a week or so to get her ready for the long haul.
                          IMG_2659k.jpg
                          IMG_2660j.jpg
                          Last edited by redeye1962; 05-17-2018, 05:11 AM.

Comment

• redeye1962
                            • Feb 2010

It rained so we had some water spots in the clear coat and nothing we did got them out so we decided to sand the clear a bit and thank God we did. A lot of the orange peel came out as well as some of the rough edges. After several buffing of compounds we can still see some of the base coat issues but there is quite a shine to it and the boy is happy with it. The yellow pin striping makes it pop nicely. Now he tells me we will need a new fuel pump and the trans is leaking. Only a couple of weeks to go and we are spotting new issues. There will be some late nights involved. I will post some additional pics when I can. Today he dropped it off to get the rear brake calipers swapped because they are locked................it just keeps adding up.
                            IMG_2661k.jpg

Comment

• redeye1962
                              • Feb 2010

So we gave it a test drive on Memorial weekend and there was a problem with the fuel pump at stoplights as well as a huge transmission leak. Not to advertise anyone but all we had was an AAMCO to have them work on it for us. Trying to coordinate when they will be completed and getting off work has been a challenge. One sentence from them is we are a warehouse and parts will not be a problem then on the other is we are waiting on parts so I am not sure what will happen. They know the urgency and the fact it takes a week to rebuild a transmission is quite disturbing. I hear today maybe then we make the 3hr drive to pick it up and hope it is fixed by Thursday. Has anyone had experience with this company?
                              IMG_2682m.jpg

Comment

Working...