Thread: Oskar Speck got into his kayak in 1932

Default Oskar Speck got into his kayak in 1932

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...-kayak-journey

With Germany in tatters, his small business bankrupt, Oskar Speck got into his kayak in 1932 for what would become an epic, seven-and-a-half-year paddle—30,000 miles, packed with hero’s welcomes and near-death escapes, all the way to Australia. But as Speck battled sharks, hostile locals, and malaria, Hitler rose to power and W.W. II began. This is the story of Speck’s voyage, an adventure nearly lost to history.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Default Re: Oskar Speck got into his kayak in 1932

An amazing story !

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Adventure at it's best.

Back in 2011, I met a fascinating young Aussie couple who'd kayaked up the Queensland coast and then shipped their kayaks to IIRC Singapore and were heading east through the Indonesian archipelago. I met them in Flores, one of the Lesser Sunda Islands in the East Nusa Tenggara province.

They had some fascinating tales.... ocean vortexes, crocodiles and astounded natives among them. They'd originally intended to follow the same route as Speck, around the top of New Guinea, but had been talked out of it due to the croc danger. Even in Oz, they'd left their kayaks on a beach, came back and found a large croc had decided to sunbake alongside their kayaks.

I'd love to catch up with them again sometime. We got on well. Here they are, having sat with me atop the volcano at Kelimutu, to watch the sunrise.

I'm pretty sure I can get into West Papua now... which ain't easy. Not that I want to kayak it... but it's got to be the world's last frontier. There's some amazing places there.... and Speck got to see it. I'm jealous.... but finances dictate that it ain't happening any time soon
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Great story, thanks for the link.

Wow, what a trip. I found it remarkable that an adventure that started as a rejection of futility became fueled almost entirely by fame and ego to reach it's epic end.