Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frame material?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Frame material?

Have you picked out the mill yet Chase? If you plan to put more power in the old design, slightly larger scantlings may be a good thing. Only you know how hard you may drive her.
    Yes, The best frame would be two thinner layers glued together. The corners where the side meets the bottom , a lapped ( and doubled)connection would be ideal.

Bruce is referring to opposing lap joints at the chine, creating a half lap joint. Still the same amount of glued area, but the shoulders add strength. Better than ply gussets, but if it means wasting a lot of lumber I don't think it will be worth it.

As well as I can see the plans call for a simple lap joint in 4 out of the 6 frames, and a sort of a gusset at the other 2. That would be easier, faster and you'd send less lumber into the chip pile.

Another way to make it stronger would be to increase the width of the side frames where they overlap the bottom frames, thereby increasing the glued area, but I don't see the need for that either. The hull has side decks which will protect the lap joint in sheer.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Speedboats suffer high impact stresses that will crack brittle hardwoods. I'd go with the Doug fir if you can find it. Oak is OK, but a bit heavy.
    Iíd go with the Practicing Naval Architectís suggestion, if it were me.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.