Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame material?

Default Frame material?

Im looking for some advice on what would be the best material would be to make the frames out of for a 21 foot snake shooter ski boat? This will be my first boat build any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Frame material?

Can you show us some pics? Do you have the plans?

I will post some pictures of the plans tomorrow I’m away from the house on business till then.

Hard to read. I can see that all frames are to be 1 1/4 nominal, but no species specified.

The plans are very detailed, it seems that the designer would not have left out species. Is there another sheet somewhere?

That’s the only other page that I have besides a fastener guide

That's a really hokie lumber list, at least to me, but you should be able to get it out of 2 by Douglas Fir framing lumber in Arkansas. Go for the tightest grain, don't use any sap wood. Small tight knots are OK. You'll find that the best lumber is usually found in the widest boards.

Perhaps you can find Long Leaf Southern Pine in your area.

Either way you'll want a table saw and a thickness planer to get out the desired dimensions.

Specifying that you need 60 BF of 1 1/4" without specifying width(s) and length(s) is dumb. I would ask around for other designs while you're here on the forum.

Ok awesome I appreciate the help.

i just found these plans online and purchased them out of a long time dream of building my own boat. Previously I just build furniture and guitars as hobby but building a boat the next project on my list

I do have a table saw and thickness planar though so that part won’t be an issue.

Hopefully some others who are more familiar with what lumber is available in your area will reply before too long.

There's an enormous amount of talent, experience and knowledge available here. If you post a build thread you'll find that it will actually save you time.

Having a boat introduces a whole new dimension into one's life. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 01-17-2018 at 01:02 AM.

You be in the live oak country no? heavy and strong.. maybe too much so but hard to go wrong with the needs for a ski boat.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I would do as Gib suggests... look at rafters and joists at the local Home Depot or whatever.The best part of the rtee is used for rafters and joists, the crap is used for studs and plates.
    Fir.. avoid "white wood" or hemlock.
    I would not bother planing a quarter inch off.

As they state drill pilot holes for the ring barb nails I think a harder species is expected. You don't need pilot holes for soft wood.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Another “alternative” source for good softwood is staging planks, if you can still find wooden ones. Staging planks are all EXCELLENT quality wood.

Peace,
    Robert

In your neck of the woods? White oak, Kentucky coffee tree, walnut (if you are not superstitious), sassafras. Possibly Osage orange, though entirely rotproof, very hard and rather heavy and somewhat brittle. For exotic species, you cannot go wrong with mahogany, especially if you plan to finish bright; an alternative here might be sapele, pretty and cheaper, too. Or you could just go down to Home Depot and cull through the 2X12s. Staging planks are a good suggestion, but usually yellow pine. Another option along this line of thought would be stair treads, though they are usually 1" thick.

There are lots of options, and you will find many (sometimes conflicting) opinions here, sometimes best is to plunge right in and do it.

You are off to a good start by posting photos, welcome to the WBF.
    Steve Martinsen

Thanks guys my plan is to start frames next week with southern pine 2x12 cut down to size. Possibly Douglas fir I can get both locally and see what the tightest grain I can find is .

Just so you know, yellow pine has no resistance to decay in the presence of moisture and is very unstable. It was used traditionally in work boats because it was the only lumber available and boats were not expected to last very long,(and they didn't). In this time period better materials are availible. Doug fir is a step up but I would suggest oak.

Speedboats suffer high impact stresses that will crack brittle hardwoods. I'd go with the Doug fir if you can find it. Oak is OK, but a bit heavy.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

A shame Sweet Gum is not readily available.

take a look at the same boat,same name,same plans it seems from glen-l #61-050p

Have you considered Cypress? You are in a location where you should be able to find a mill that processes Cypress within a couple of hundred miles. I got it from a mill near Charleston.
    It is relatively light, mills well and is rot resistant. I built a kayak, a Mystic Star, a Rob Mack design, Laughingloon.com from it. It turned out beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Just so you know, yellow pine has no resistance to decay in the presence of moisture and is very unstable. It was used traditionally in work boats because it was the only lumber available and boats were not expected to last very long,(and they didn't). In this time period better materials are availible. Doug fir is a step up but I would suggest oak.
    seriously?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

"Yellow Pine" is lots of different things I recon.
    From" Dade County Pine " to " Poo from Home Depot". Even "treated" house carpentry wood is plantation yellow pine I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    "Yellow Pine" is lots of different things I recon.
    From" Dade County Pine " to " Poo from Home Depot". Even "treated" house carpentry wood is plantation yellow pine I think.
    I'm about ready to start making thwarts for the Ducker that I'm restoring and can't quite bring myself to make them out of white oak because of the weight. I have a mess of pt Pine laying around and I keep looking at the five quarter stock and shaking my head, but I go back and look again and again, but I don't know that I'd be saving any amount of weight that worth worrying about.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

I can get cypress, Douglas fir, and Pine and oak. I just want to use what’s the best for the frame even if it’s harder to go get

Don't use cypress it soaks up water like a sponge and moves like one too. Keep your boat light and use the doug fir. Drill your holes the right size or you will split the frames.
    Last edited by navydog; 01-28-2018 at 07:14 PM.

If you choose Cypress, just make the scantlings bigger.
    Good fir would be my choice of the 4.
    Alaska Yellow Cedar would be my first choice of all wood.

I'll second the AYC, with glue and screws to hold it together while the glue cures, leave the screws in. Use it for everything that's not plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    I'll second the AYC, with glue and screws to hold it together while the glue cures, leave the screws in. Use it for everything that's not plywood.
    Actually have one AYC 1"X 3" 17 foot long that I've been saving for many years,

^Well Denise, Thwarts for your Ducker?

I’ve found a few sites to get the Alaska yellow cedar. If that would be better and stronger than the fir that’s what I’ll do. I want it to ladt

AYC is quite a bit lighter, but only a little weaker.
    It is less prone to split.
    It has very good rot resistance, it glues very well.
    Some do not like the smell, those people are stupit.
    Wanna make the frames crazy good? Glue them together double sawn ! Two thin layers, lap joins at the chine.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    ^Well Denise, Thwarts for your Ducker?
    Maybe, the oak was roughly 7/8"X1-1/2/4" with a crown of 1/2" across. I have some ayc that was cut but it's not quite that size I know from using it it's very very strong doesn't want to cold bend or flex

My plans call for 1 1/4” frame thickness so you are saying plane them down to around 5/8 and glue two together?