Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in Hawwaii get an inbound alert?

Default Anyone in Hawwaii get an inbound alert?

Friend of mine on a Biology trip with his students just got the **** scared outta him. They were told to clear their condo, grab their possessions and follow the (very old) CD procedures.

OK Hawaii Emergency Management System has called it a goof... part of a drill.

Nothing to see here, move along, move along...

BUT, Donny's presence and unnecessary rhetoric grows more frightening by the day.

Default Re: Anyone in Hawwaii get an inbound alert?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Friend of mine on a Biology trip with his students just got the **** scared outta him. They were told to clear their condo, grab their possessions and follow the (very old) CD procedures.

BUT, Donny's presence and unnecessary rhetoric grows more frightening by the day.
    From The Guardian:

“...officials said on Saturday an alert on a ballistic missile threat was a false alarm.

The alert stated there was a threat “inbound to Hawaii” and said residents should seek shelter. “This is not a drill,” it added.

The alert caused a panic when it went to people’s cellphones on Saturday morning. Shortly afterwards, authorities said it was a mistake.

Hawaii Emergency Management Agency spokesman Richard Rapoza said it was not clear what caused the alert to go out.”

Nothing on the NYT.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

Vince, I hope your friend's group packed enough clean underwear!
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Can you imagine . . .
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLockedLoop View Post
    Nothing on the NYT.
    It's there now

This S.O.B. is a teacher of Marine Biology and annually takes fifteen of his top students to Hawaii on a sponsored three-week trip, all expenses paid for he and his students, use of one floor of a large condo (enough beds for everybody) and, since they're all 19 - 23 generally and female, I don't think that cleanies are a particular problem.

Oh, to be a Collitsch Teecher. Boy, do we rag him about this. Two years ago he decided to hip-check a tree at Stowe three weeks before his departure date... he went anyway....

Last year he had to have a hip replacement as the socket had gone necrotic and they did the whole deal... just AFTER he came back from the trip. (He said the pain was alleviated by some wonderful massage from....)

NOW he comes up with a phony Nuke Alert from Hawaii itsownself... Anything to keep us remembering where he is and who's with him.

Likely the system is hacked.

An even better way of turning the US on it's ear than causing a dirt bag to be elected president...

An employee pressed the wrong button during a shift change.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...art_river_home

Scary nonetheless.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Can you imagine . . .
    fear. I wondered if the vote for authorization of force in 2002 would have been more dificult without the DC shooter and the anthrax mailings.

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    An employee pressed the wrong button during a shift change.
    Do you mean a former employee? That's a heck of a mistake.

Did Trump get this message also before it was corrected? Was he reaching for the codes? Did he crap his pants when actually faced with the possibility of having to use those codes?
    The whole thing is terrifying, made even worse with Trump in charge.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    fear. I wondered if the vote for authorization of force in 2002 would have been more dificult without the DC shooter and the anthrax mailings.
    Agreed, and that notion is even more frightening given Trump.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Did Trump get this message also before it was corrected? Was he reaching for the codes? Did he crap his pants when actually faced with the possibility of having to use those codes?
    The whole thing is terrifying, made even worse with Trump in charge.
    I hope he was reaching for the codes... it's his duty and obligation to every US Citizen to carry out a swift and devastating counter strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    I hope he was reaching for the codes... it's his duty and obligation to every US Citizen to carry out a swift and devastating counter strike.
    A devistating counter strike like the one we did to Iraq?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    A devistating counter strike like the one we did to Iraq?
    no... nothing like Iraq... Iraq still exists... all be it battered and blood soaked.

perhaps you meant 'albeit'?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

he's proud of our colossal screw-up in Iraq

A devastating counter-strike implies you know who is striking you.
    Not the reds strong point.

Jebus! That alert lasted for 38 minutes!
    Nosce te ipsum

Didn't they know immediately that it was an accident?
    Do those employees carry firearms?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Anyone think folks will be alerted like this if it is ever for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Jebus! That alert lasted for 38 minutes!
    There will be a number of heads rolling out the door over this screwup. Bad enough that the mistake was made, but unforgivable that it took these idiots 38 minutes to figure it out.
    Vacationing in Hawaii a few years ago, I got the sense of how trapped those people are. You have absolutely no place to run.

Yes, it is the duty of the President of the United States to launch nukes as a last resort. I just feel that this president is not mentally or emotionally up to the task.

There will be a number of heads rolling out the door over this screwup. Bad enough that the mistake was made, but unforgivable that it took these idiots 38 minutes to figure it out.
    Vacationing in Hawaii a few years ago, I got the sense of how trapped those people are. You have absolutely no place to run.
    What wishful thinking that there would be any accountability by state workers in Hawaii. The bosses have no power to punish except to give paid time-outs, which hardly has any meaning because no state worker ever has to come in to work ever, The ones that do are leftover good hearted overworked samaritans who step up to tasks they might not even be trained for. Is it a coincidence that this happened at a shift change where half the island is trying to drop everything to view the predicted 40-50 foot high surf? The one who pushed the wrong button may have been a hero janitor who was at least correctly keeping the flood, tsunami, and hurricane warnings at bay in an empty room.

If I had a cell phone, I would not have been alarmed by that warning. Long term residents of Hawaii are bombarded with endless false alarms for floods, tsunamis, hurricanes by naive ill educated officials invading all aspects of life. Sirens doing regular test runs all the time, and your TV taken over by hysterical warnings or weekly and monthly tests even if you are watching a recording - Orwellian! I regularly check into hurricane and tsunami warnings to find them easily disprovable, like intermediate wave buoys reading much lower than expected or a hurricane radar track headed to a 3 mile high volcano which deflected/weakened umpteen previous ones. I even go to followup meetings of the experts weeks after to see if my analysis was right.

Key thing is you and I probably share a new england education that was quality even at the lower levels. Here education is a job protection service for teachers, so the residents don't have the foundation for critical thinking about technical official pronouncements. Poor things think both the officials know what they are talking about, and that NK could hit what they are aiming for. However that is analogous to many of the commenters here having faith in the media's constant anti-Trump pronouncements, when for instance you can directly check yourself his tweets which are grossly twisted and misreported by the "experts".

Where are you going to run if there really is an inbound nuke? Doesn't matter where you live.

It will be interesting to learn what effect the alert had on the population. If it went largely unnoticed for a half hour, then the system is ineffective. If it created havoc, then at least it works.

I'd be more curious - what was the response from Washington? Were they on 'high alert'? Readying for a 'counter strike'?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    perhaps you meant 'albeit'?
    ever get around to figuring out who sponsored the 1965 immigration act? Was NPR being honest... Fact Based when they described it as a Racist Republican law...?

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    I'd be more curious - what was the response from Washington? Were they on 'high alert'? Readying for a 'counter strike'?

This video really brings home how scared people were

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post

They had a false sue nom e alert here last week, i heard it but it was in spanish,, did not think of blaming our democrat govener..

Guess trump missed this one.

Maybe they really wanted to see what people would do, telling them it was drill....
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

The explanation of "hitting the wrong button" during a shift change rings hollow to me!

So is there some big control panel with buttons for every message you might want to send ?

Or what?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

If he does not spill his diet coke on it...short it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Likely the system is hacked.

An even better way of turning the US on it's ear than causing a dirt bag to be elected president...
    Aww, come on...if our Beloved Leader was an ignorant, lying sack of Shinola who shovels insults at other countries--nine of whom have nuclear weapons--what could possibly go wrong in event of a mistaken incoming missile attack warning?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    It will be interesting to learn what effect the alert had on the population. If it went largely unnoticed for a half hour, then the system is ineffective. If it created havoc, then at least it works.
    They are saying on Face the Nation this AM that there was panic on Hawaii. People abandoned their cars on the highway, a family tried to hide in the sewer, ... It was not a small deal.