X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spin_Drift
    LPBC member
    • Jul 2006

If you are an omnivore, check out these marbled prime cut steaks

I love prime-cut, heavily marbled ribeye steaks like these .. Whats your favorite?

Choose wisely -Treat kindly...
    A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...
    sigpic
    S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch
  • amish rob
    Emperor For Life
    • Mar 2010

Re: If you are an omnivore, check out these marbled prime cut steaks

The burnt ends and tips from a real tri tip. Oy.

Or chile verde, which is pork shoulder slow cooked in salsa verde.

Peace,
    Robert

Comment

• Paul Pless
      pinko commie tree hugger
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Spin_Drift
      Whats your favorite?

my favourite is the same as your's

those look awesome, i'll pick up the cabernet sauvignon and be right over
      Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
        Ancient Mariner
        • Dec 2006

I could only get something like that using Mail Order!.The grocery chains heredon't even rate a grade, nothing below F---- exists.Their idea of an actual butcher is a man wearing white coveralls and using sheets of saran wrap except for what comes vacuum packed.

Comment

• amish rob
          Emperor For Life
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Paul Pless
          my favourite is the same as your's

those look awesome, i'll pick up the cabernet sauvignon and be right over
          You don’t need to bring wine. Whatever you bring will pale compared to Spin’s wine.
          She is a real life genius/wizard, if you didn’t know.

Peace,
          Robert

Comment

• Chris Smith porter maine
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by amish rob

Peace,
            Robert
            This look about right for chili Verde?

Comment

• amish rob
              Emperor For Life
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Chris Smith porter maine
              http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ecipe0-1917661
              Don’t do it!

You will be ruined for life.

That looks to be a wonderful recipe. Lots of complex flavor there, compared to mine.

Peace,
              Robert

Comment

• Chris Smith porter maine
                • Feb 2008

Those rib eyes look fantastic, like Jamie I would need to mail order, I also like short ribs, brisket for the BBQ, chuck for burgers, soups, and stews. For steaks rib eyes, but other acceptable alternative could be strips, porterhouse, t-bones, hangers for fajitas, oh and I like a flank marinated in a cup of soy, cup of brown sugar, and cup of bourbon grilled. I sometimes can get chuck eye steaks dirt cheap $4 a pound or less definitely not a prime rib eye but I'm a man of limited means

Comment

• Old Dryfoot
                  That Richard Guy
                  • May 2010

Ok, that just sent me to the freezer to scare up some rib eye. Not nearly as nice as those, but after seeing that, I had to do something!

Comment

• David G
                    • Dec 2003

I'm a pork fan. Esp. pulled pork. Making pork chops for dinner tonight. But them steaks look mighty tasty.
                    David G
                    Harbor Woodworks
                    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• CWSmith
                      New Hampshire
                      • Nov 2008

A place in Delaware I used to like (back when I lived there) had a surf and turf - 2 tenderloins cooked the way you like them, each with a crab cake on top and a Bearnaise sauce across. Finish with asparagus and potatoes.
                      "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Chip-skiff
                        Wolves Without Borders
                        • Jan 2008

Owing to western US resource politics, no beef for us, except occasionally when we go out. But I've got a couple nice bison ribeyes in the freezer and some ground bison, lamb, and pork. Also some nice, lean roasts of pronghorn antelope. A friend has promised us some of his deer. What I'd really like is moose, but they aren't very common around here.

Here's roast antelope, with a wine reduction—

Comment

• Old Dryfoot
                          That Richard Guy
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by CWSmith
                          A place in Delaware I used to like (back when I lived there) had a surf and turf - 2 tenderloins cooked the way you like them, each with a crab cake on top and a Bearnaise sauce across. Finish with asparagus and potatoes.
                          Sound a lot like a Neptune Crown or Steak Oscar.

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
                            Flâneur • Seattle
                            • Feb 2001

If you are an omnivore, check out these marbled prime cut steaks

Originally posted by amish rob

Originally posted by Chris Smith porter maine
                            http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ecipe0-1917661
                            This is the one I riff off of.

Can you hear the fires burning and smell the roasted chiles in the air? I can because it’s Hatch chile season and I love Hatch chiles. Look at this beautiful green chile stew.

Leave the tomatoes. No place for them. No cumin either -- we're looking for a clear chile flavor. Toss in maybe 2 pounds of tomatillos, husked and diced.

And the quantity of chiles (more chiles than meat) is correct. You want to use relatively mild Hatch chiles -- Big Jim, or New Mexico 6-4 are good varieties. If you can't get Hatch chiles, use Anaheims, what Hatch chiles were developed from. These are all fairly low in heat, maybe 2,000 Scoville (in comparison, Jalepenos run about 5,000 Scovilles; Serranos about 7,500 Scovilles). And you're going be coring out the pepper, removing all the white pith and seeds, which is where the majority of the capsaicin lives. We're looking for flavor, not just heat!

This my interpretation of her recipe.

NEW MEXICO GREEN CHILE STEW

INGREDIENTS
                            • 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cubed 1/2 inch cubes (works well with lamb, too -- this is a shepherd's dish, after all.)
                            • 2 medium onions, medium dice
                            • 1 head garlic, minced
                            • 4 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade without salt)
                            • 2.5 Lbs Hatch green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced, small dice
                            • 2 large russet potatoes, cubed 1/2 cube
                            • 1 Tbsp dried Mexican oregano
                            • 1 Tbsp sea salt (if the chicken broth has salt, use 1 tsp sea salt and adjust to taste)
                            • 1/3 cup lard or bacon fat

DIRECTIONS

First, roast the chiles. Now, 2.5 lbs of Hatch Chiles is roughly 18 chiles so I roast them in 2 batches.

When sufficiently charred, place the chiles in a paper bag and let them sit for roughly 20 – 30 minutes to cool. When done, peel them and remove the pith and seeds. DO NOT rinse them under running water like so many people do because you wash much of the flavor away. The skin will come off with very little trouble. Also, DO NOT touch your eyes or any other sensitive skin during or after peeling the chiles. I’ve learned this from experience. This can be a very painful experience. If you wear contacts, take them out BEFORE you peel the chiles. Even if you wash your hands, the oils from the chiles will stay in your skin for several hours afterwards.

Next, add the lard to a heavy bottom skillet and heat over high heat. When heated, add the cubed pork and brown.

When done, remove the pork and put in a heavy stew pot.

Add more lard to the skillet and sauté the onions.

When the onions have softened and attained a nice brown color from the sucs from the pork, roughly 3 – 5 minutes, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.

When done, add the onions and garlic to the stew pot, along with the finely diced green chiles, tomatillos spices and potatoes.

Top off with chicken stock or water -- you want a thinnish stew-like consistency, so adjust the quantity to suit.

Bring to a boil, put the lid on, leaving it cracked just a nudge. Turn the heat down to a bare simmer.

Cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, giving it a stir, every so often. If it gets too thick, top it up with a little more stock or water.

Enjoy the aromas that fill your kitchen!
                            Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 01-13-2018, 03:32 PM.
                            “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
                            — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• CWSmith
                              New Hampshire
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Old Dryfoot
                              Sound a lot like a Neptune Crown or Steak Oscar.
                              I wasn't familiar with the terms, or it's been too many years for me to remember, but I searched Steak Oscar and that's what it appears to be. My wife really loved that dish!
                              "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...