Thread: Car Shopping

Default Car Shopping

Time for a bigger vehicle... now that the house is empty. Go figure.
    We need a 6 seater a few times a year.
    Something more comfy than the Beamer for road trips.
    And something we could pull a little teardrop trailer with in a few years.

Go.
    "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Nietzsche

Default Re: Car Shopping

For the few times a year, rent one.

I purchased a Jeep Wrangler recently as I want to expand my off-roading hobby. But I have a 6 mile round trip commute to work and so, I'm not sacrificing too much in terms of cost of fuel day to day. I might put 6000 miles a year, tops, on my vehicles. On a big car/suv, that seats 6, you'll be spending more on gas, tires, it's a pain to park, a pain to clear snow off of, a pain to wash.

That said, what are you looking at?
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

We have a v6 sorrento. Seats 7, class II hitch, excellent mileage, for the size, etc. Has all the weird tech, like auto braking and back up camera and all that jazz.

Not at all large or awkward to drive, considering, and comfortable for tall people.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. We have some 5-6000 miles of towing small boats behind it, including through Leadville, CO. Never a problem going up, or down hills in control.

I like those, they're nice looking cars.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoose View Post
    Go.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

We have a couple of snowbirds that live near us. They winter in Cocoa Beach and summer in Tacoma. They use a 2016 Chrysler Pacifica. The seats fold flat to the floor, creating a cargo van. Front seats are very comfortable. I'm sure it could pull a trailer.

In flat floor configuration, they use an inflatable mattress and car-camp across the country.
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Yes... rent for the few times a year. That has crossed our minds, yet, when those times arise we somehow balk. Some of those times are quite spur the moment, but, you're right - they could be planned for. Maybe we need to rethink that part of our shopping trip.

And while we could rent for land-yacht adventures, I think the cost would become more prohibitive than just having our own vehicle.

So perhaps it is really more about greater comfort now.

On the radar:
    Toyota: 4Runner, Highlander
    VW: Atlas, Tiguan
    Honda: Pilot
    Mazda: CX9
    Audi: Q3/5
    "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Paul! yes!
    Just yesterday Dave and I were talking about the boats our parents used to drive... and the wagon my Aunt and Uncle had!
    Maybe we should be thinking antique.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    We have a couple of snowbirds that live near us. They winter in Cocoa Beach and summer in Tacoma. They use a 2016 Chrysler Pacifica. The seats fold flat to the floor, creating a cargo van. Front seats are very comfortable. I'm sure it could pull a trailer.

In flat floor configuration, they use an inflatable mattress and car-camp across the country.
    Our seats also fold flat. Three kids or two grown ups can sleep there. It can swallow an enormous amount of 8 foot lumber, too, if no one is looking.

Peace,
    Robert

Paul! yes!
    Just yesterday Dave and I were talking about the boats our parents used to drive... and the wagon my Aunt and Uncle had!
    Maybe we should be thinking antique.
    There is a 1980 300d wagon in my driveway you can have for a song. A short song.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post

I tend not to think of Chryslers - both my father in my head, and reliability issues.
    But I'll google that.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    There is a 1980 300d wagon in my driveway you can have for a song. A short song.

Peace,
    Robert
    Thanks, Robert... I think.

Yes... rent for the few times a year. That has crossed our minds, yet, when those times arise we somehow balk. Some of those times are quite spur the moment, but, you're right - they could be planned for. Maybe we need to rethink that part of our shopping trip.

And while we could rent for land-yacht adventures, I think the cost would become more prohibitive than just having our own vehicle.

So perhaps it is really more about greater comfort now.

On the radar:
    Toyota: 4Runner, Highlander
    VW: Atlas, Tiguan
    Honda: Pilot
    Mazda: CX9
    Audi: Q3/5
    I love Audi as a brand, but neither of those are their best.

Excellent: the Mazda, the Honda and the Atlas. Tiguan, not so much.

The Toyota's - I don't know as much about, but would probably tilt toward the Highlander.

Good luck, and have fun!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks, David.

But "fun"? Fun?!?!?!! Car shopping? Oh I wish...

I would go with the Honda or Mazda. I love the 4Runner but it's an old platform and only really great if you plan on going off-road with it, it's a heavy body-on-frame. The VW is a no-go as is the Audi, IMHO. Expensive to buy, fix, and takes premium fuel.

~C. Ross

We pull a small camper (3k pounds) for a few months every year, albeit with an F150. But, I pay attention to what others are pulling with. The Chevy Traverse seems to be popular with surprising towing capacity. Also , Ford Escapes are now very capable. Honda Pilots and Ridgelines are common as are Toyota Highlanders. Good luck, car buying for me is pretty close to oral surgery.

Easy. BMW X5 diesel
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

We need a 6 seater a few times a year.
    When you say 'six seater', do you mean six adults? And for how far will these six people be riding together? Do they get along? Well? How important is ease of ingress and egress?

mercedes e400 wagon, seats six in three rows
    329 hp

amg wagon, seats six in three rows
    603 hp

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

My niece has a Lexus which can be had with 3 rows. I don't think they tow with it, but it probably could.

VWs & Audis do not have to have premium gas. Been running regular in them for years & no problem. The computer dials back the timing a bit & the car (A4) gets 31MPG highway instead of 32 (I've tested). The A3 Audi, VW Passat, & VW Jetta/Golf all behave similarly - I've tested those as well, just not recently.

That being said, over the last few years I've done 12 hour drives to a client. For that I rent a car & have found that I can get a medium SUV (like a Sorrento) for ~$200/week US. The reservation will be $10-20 cheaper if done 10 days ahead, but I've made them 24 hours in advance.

A Rav4 is tight for 6 people. CRV even more so. The X5 is big enough, but getting the diesel here is tough. The Q3 is small for 6 - probably have to go with the Q5.

Audi & VW are far more reliable than they once were, certainly little more than the high end Japanese (Lexus, etc.) & drive very differently - so it becomes a matter of personal preference.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Daughter and her man just bought a SsangYong Rexton G4, three years old. I'm impressed with it, turbo diesel, 5 speed auto, all the bells and whistles, 7 seats of which the third row folds flat to make a bigger cargo compartment, 7500 lb towing capacity while still being able to get down to about 35 mpg unloaded.
    I know that they're not available in the USA, but cars like these are making a huge dent in the export markets that were a large part of the USAs production.
    https://www.g4rexton.co.nz/specifications/

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.