Thread: Job offer to build boats

Default Job offer to build boats

A few years ago wife and I were on Malta wandering around the waterfront, when the smell of freshly sawn lumber lured me into a small shop built into the foundation of an old Royal Navy storeroom. There we met Freddie the boat builder who built djasi's- the tradition Maltese folk boat. We spent sever happy hours discussing boat building and his plans to try out this new epoxy stuff. Of course I had been using epoxy for many years and was happy to give him the benefit of my experience. Now boats were not the only thing Freddie made in his shop. He also made wine and we were soon well into his inventory. As we were leaving, he gripped my shoulders and said "You come to Malta to live and we work like hell building boats in the morning and we drink wine in the afternoon". Sadly I did not take him up on his offer. But for many years after, as I settled down at my government issue steel desk, in the windowless basement of a huge hospital, Freddie's offer would ring in my head.

Default Re: Job offer to build boats

Is it too late to take him up on it?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

yes, he's probably gone by now or very old- and I'm 75.

A refuge is a good thing, a friend to share it with is perfection.

Dang. I wish I had had an offer like that. I would have loved to have been able to make useful things with my life with a like minded person.

Well, aside from the kids I made with my wife.

Peace,
    Erstwhile Maltese Rob

Sounds like a night. A friend from the pub is from Malta, when her American husband retires they’re moving back. She is beautiful and her eyes light up when she talks about Malta.