Thread: Meantime 3000 years ago in Louisiana

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Default Meantime 3000 years ago in Louisiana

Poverty Point at its peak 3,000 years ago was part of an enormous trading network that stretched for hundreds of miles across the continent. It was - and is - also an engineering marvel, the product of five million hours of labor. Explore the culture of a highly sophisticated people who left behind one of North America’s most important archeological sites.

https://www.nps.gov/popo/index.htm

The Monumental Earthworks of Poverty Point is a publicly-owned and managed archaeological park in the parish of West Carroll, State of Louisiana, United States of America. The site is located on the eastern edge of an elevated landform, Macon Ridge, in the Lower Mississippi Valley. Today the ridge, which is about 7-9m higher than the adjacent lowlands to the east, overlooks and is abutted on its eastern side by the Bayou Maҫon.

The site consists of an integrated complex of earthen monuments, in the main constructed 3,700-3,100 years ago in the Late Archaic period. The complex includes large mounds and associated borrow/quarry areas, six semi-elliptical earthen ridges with an outer diameter of 1.14 km and a large flat plaza bordered by the ridges. Mound A, one of the largest constructed earthen mounds in North America, dominates the site. Collection and archaeological excavations have documented the rich material culture associated with this complex.

The Poverty Point complex is recognised internationally as an important site not just because of its scale, the integration of the earthworks and the extent to which the complex is intact, but crucially because it was built by hunter-fisher-gatherers. The elevated natural topography of the site above the Holocene alluvial lowlands provided a secure place for human settlement in an area otherwise prone to flooding, and influenced the layout of the complex and the placing of the earthworks: it helps to make it clear why the site was selected as the location of the monumental complex. All the singular elements that make up the complex as they survive in shape and substance – the mounds, the system of ridges and swales, the aisles, the plaza with the posthole circles, the causeway, the bisector ridge, the dock and the borrow areas – as well as their spatial organisation in relation to the topography, illustrate the refined use of natural features and topography to create a designed monumental landscape.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1435

Default Re: Meantime 3000 years ago in Louisiana

Across the river in Mississippi. http://trails.mdah.ms.gov/mmt/

What they call the Pre-Blues era.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Jimmy, you need to contact Roger Stouff, one time forum member, Author, Columnist, organiser of his local WB regatta, Archaeologist, Native American.
    He is one of the people I miss here most these days.

Here is the man
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/sho...r_Emile_Stouff

He has a Facebook page.

Moundville, Alabama in Hale County. Check it out.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I sometimes try to imagine what it was like back when. I sit by the acorn holes and push backward with my mind.

I imagine seeing a place like that with eyes of an ancient.

Thanks for this, Jimmy.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Moundville, Alabama in Hale County. Check it out.

Mickey Lake
    There are a few mounds worth looking out for in my hometown of Wetumpka. The easiest one to visit is located at the site of Fort Toulouse/Fort Jackson. The mound is at the confluence of the Tallapoosa and Coosa Rivers where they form the Alabama.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Jimmy, you need to contact Roger Stouff, one time forum member, Author, Columnist, organiser of his local WB regatta, Archaeologist, Native American.
    He is one of the people I miss here most these days.

Here is the man
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/sho...r_Emile_Stouff

He has a Facebook page.
    I have met Roger and read many of his stories.

I have been to Moundsville. Winterville mounds near my hometown is pretty impressive also, but not as much as Moundsville. There are several mounds near Leland, Mississippi that weren't included in the mound trail.

The book 1491 comes to mind, demonstrating the level of human development in Pre-Columbian North America.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Fascinating, especially since the illustration resembles a aerial view of the Burning Man encampment:

Burning Man.jpg
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic; save the country.