Thread: Duck and Cover!

Default Duck and Cover!

"Ask an older person."

Default Re: Duck and Cover!

Maga!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I remember the terror I felt as a kid in the late 70s, early 80s. Sad that we're subjecting a new generation to that terror needlessly. Its criminal that our POTUS is exasperating the potential for nuclear strikes. Also, its criminal that our congress is aiding the POTUS by not opposing him and expelling him immediately.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    "Ask an older person."
    But not just any older person.

I hope i'm at the picnic, so i can do the tablecloth trick: not pulling the manure spreader.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

The current president did not give aid to North Korea’s nuclear program. It merely advanced to this stage during his first year in office. Nor did he have anything to do with the State of Hawaii’s emergency broadcast system.

So now that that bs is laid to rest, I will say I feel for the residents there, including many of my in laws. They were scared. Many veterans can share the real fear experienced when there’s incoming. They won’t tell you it stems from school kids drills.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    The current president did not give aid to North Korea’s nuclear program. It merely advanced to this stage during his first year in office. Nor did he have anything to do with the State of Hawaii’s emergency broadcast system.

So now that that bs is laid to rest, I will say I feel for the residents there, including many of my in laws. They were scared. Many veterans can share the real fear experienced when there’s incoming. They won’t tell you it stems from school kids drills.
    You're not wrong Brian, but you're also not telling the entire truth . . . I've come to expect that from you . . . By the way, you know that's still dishonesty; right?
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

I remember urging Dad that we needed a fall-out shelter. This was 1954. We'd invested in TV the year before when I was in a body cast for nine months. I've really been born again, when the last cast was cut off and I was condemned to learn how to bend again by my mother, the physical terrorist. Anyway, I got up early and could evade the usual restrictions on TV, but I hate the Farmer Gray cartoons (despite the excellent classical music) and instead watched "Agriculture USA" and "The Big Picture". It was the latter, with film of marines testing how close they could get to nuclear explosions, that convinced me that a bomb shelter made sense.

Dad came from a family that canned and stored a good part of the crop and actually lived off that during the worst of the Dust Bowl so he had about a year's worth of rotating rations stored in the basement anyway. So, in the spirit of preparedness, we did some digging and brick work and handpump installation and such to make a servicable fall-out shelter. And we made another when we moved to a bigger house a year later. That one was cooler because off the basement was a well constructed and big (15x15) coal room from before the furnace was converted to oil. Made for a great shelter with both inside and outside access that were supposed to be hidden. Since we played in it as a fort with secret passages, pretty much every kid in the neighborhood knew all about it and the various between the walls passages that honeycombed that peculiar old house due to the odd ways additions had been made to the mid-1700's original.

Back to the point - For many nuclear war was nothing but a phantasm of terror. Dad thought it a terror that should be met with at least a strong attempt at survival. He taught us to use fear as a rational signal. Of course, times are different now and there is far less point to having a fall-out shelter unless you go deep shelter as Dr Srtangelove advocated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I remember urging Dad that we needed a fall-out shelter. This was 1954. We'd invested in TV the year before when I was in a body cast for nine months. I've really been born again, when the last cast was cut off and I was condemned to learn how to bend again by my mother, the physical terrorist. Anyway, I got up early and could evade the usual restrictions on TV, but I hate the Farmer Gray cartoons (despite the excellent classical music) and instead watched "Agriculture USA" and "The Big Picture". It was the latter, with film of marines testing how close they could get to nuclear explosions, that convinced me that a bomb shelter made sense.

Dad came from a family that canned and stored a good part of the crop and actually lived off that during the worst of the Dust Bowl so he had about a year's worth of rotating rations stored in the basement anyway. So, in the spirit of preparedness, we did some digging and brick work and handpump installation and such to make a servicable fall-out shelter. And we made another when we moved to a bigger house a year later. That one was cooler because off the basement was a well constructed and big (15x15) coal room from before the furnace was converted to oil. Made for a great shelter with both inside and outside access that were supposed to be hidden. Since we played in it as a fort with secret passages, pretty much every kid in the neighborhood knew all about it and the various between the walls passages that honeycombed that peculiar old house due to the odd ways additions had been made to the mid-1700's original.

Back to the point - For many nuclear war was nothing but a phantasm of terror. Dad thought it a terror that should be met with at least a strong attempt at survival. He taught us to use fear as a rational signal. Of course, times are different now and there is far less point to having a fall-out shelter unless you go deep shelter as Dr Srtangelove advocated.
    I disagree. NK's capacity is tiny compared to the USSR's capacity back in the day. If a nuclear strike were to happen, it would most likely take the form of a dirty bomb or a few shi77y missiles lobbed by NK. The big players know that any strike by them directly would mean all of our destruction, so that possibility is far less. Given that. A good fallout shelter is not a crazy idea. Heck, I feel like it's our patriotic duty to be prepared with food and water for at least three days, although many would think I'm paranoid for even thinking that.

~seanz

3 days? McMike you need to work on your prepper preparations.

btw, how much ammo do you have?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Fallout shelters are a booming business as of late.
    Nosce te ipsum

Remember: The buck doesn't stop at Trump's desk, it's someone elses fault.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

#8: I loved the Farmer Gray cartoons.

If I were to do a fallout shelter thing, it would need provisions for at least 2 weeks. Three days is inadequate. Of course, the best preventative is to remove our current president, but hey, you knew that already...

I used to live in Everett, home of a CVN battle group, so I always thought that in a serious nuke war it would take one and I'd never feel a thing. Now that I am on south Whidbey Island, the Bangor nuke sub base is about 20-30 miles away to the south, so the consequences of a nuke exchange for me just got uglier and more prolonged. O well.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    3 days? McMike you need to work on your prepper preparations.

btw, how much ammo do you have?
    As I’m sure you’re aware, anyone only needs a few hundred rounds max. The chances of you or me surviving a gun fight where more than that are needed are slim at best. Unless you’re talking about hunting but even for that, it’s kind of overkill to keep a lot of rounds, in the event of a massive shtf, every resource will be stripped bare within 3 months and not return until most starve or freeze to death.

FWIW, I keep two weeks for us and the dogs, anything much worse than that and we’ll most likely be dead anyway. I’m a realist, I don’t live in a comic book.

How’re your stores?

~seanz

Ammo
    When the SHTF, ammo will be the new exchange currency; more valuable than gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Depends on the caliber.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

First; someone like you wouldn’t last if the SHTF, people like you would get killed for how you talk to people. Second, what’s this when crap? Is that your ultimate motivation; to see the world on fire? If so, that makes a lot of sense.

~seanz

22 shorts?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott