Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Norwegians Don't Emigrate to the USA.

Default Re: Why Norwegians Don't Emigrate to the USA.

[QUOTE=Jim Mahan;5448041]Immigrate is for when for those arriving. Emigrate is for those who are leaving.

I'm not so sure about the OP either. People emigrate "from" and immigrate "to." The OP says, "emigrate to." The attachment says, "Immigrate to." I think the attachment is correct, and the OP is is wrong. But, I may be wrong, and I know it doesn't matter that much.
    Last edited by Bflat; 01-14-2018 at 12:46 PM.

'Immigrate' is for those arriving. 'Emigrate' is for those who are leaving.
    I can't believe I left that mess and hit the submit button...

So then, referring to one who has left the country you are in, you would properly call them 'emigrants.' And if the exodus involved a large population, and if that were a problem for your country, you'd probably have a Department of Emigration and the political discourse would be about the emigrant crisis. Some arsewell would suggest erecting an edifice to keep the emigrants in.
    Prehumous Entrepid Enplorer of the Innerverse

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Perhaps you should give me your magic wand or the crack pipe you're smoking.
    I gave you my magic wand. You need courage to use it. But 30 years of being unhappy feels much longer.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    As a comparison; I get 2 weeks (10 days) paid vacation and 5 paid holidays per year. No sick or personal time and no paid leave for child birth or family emergencies. I'm stressed out, and my life will likely be shorter than average because of this. I also pay $600/month for health insurance that I also have to pay $2000/year co-pay before it kicks in on anything outside of yearly physicals and approved drugs. When I become unable to work because of age or illness, hopefully 30 years away, I will likely have to kill myself as to not suffer a state-run assisted living/nursing facility. For that reason, I'm thankful that the 2nd amendment gives me a cheap out.
    The good thing is, you are not alone. But man, that's sad.

"And if the exodus involved a large population,...."
    That would be a "Diaspora".