Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had $2500 to spend on a new tv. . .

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: If you had $2500 to spend on a new tv. . .

Since my Samsung that I inherited from my father and stepmother died, I gave myself a 32 inch LG smart TV for Christmas. It cost $199. So I now have another $2301 left for other things.

"Values. What you'll do for a buck, and what you do with it."

George Carlin
    So many questions, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Did you guys blow up another tv?
    It's the same one as before. Samsung repaired it the first time. It's four years out of warranty now.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Tedís got a point about the sound system. Donít skimp there. Santa brought me a nice Sony soundbar/subwoofer. Not super fancy but our den is pretty small and it sounds great. We can also play music through it from our phones or tablets with Bluetooth.
    we have a pretty badassed surround system

Given how quickly technology is changing and prices drop as new ones come out - you either need to spend a lot more to get ahead of it..... or spend less - i.e. half that now and be current so that you can save the rest of your $$$ to be current again in 24 months time.......or given that TV sound is so rubbish these days to force you to buy a seperate speaker - put it into a Boss sound bar, bass and remote speakers (I bought one as a Chrissy present to ourselves - great sound)
    Larks

ďItís impossibleĒ, said pride.
    ďItís riskyĒ, said experience.
    ďItís pointlessĒ, said reason.
    ďGive it a tryĒ, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Given how quickly technology is changing and prices drop as new ones come out - you either need to spend a lot more to get ahead of it..... or spend less - i.e. half that now and be current so that you can save the rest of your $$$ to be current again in 24 months time.
    It'd be nice to get ten years out of one, half of that in the den, then move it to the bedroom or shop for the last half of its life. . .

I don't understand. What does one get in a $2500 TV that is significantly better than a $500 (or so) one? Unless you are including a new sound system, I don't see it - but there are always more expensive things out there than I realize.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    What does one get in a $2500 TV that is significantly better than a $500 (or so) one?
    better blacks
    resolution
    higher refresh rate
    better quality picture
    size

honestly we can probable get what we want for a lot less than $2500
    tv prices have fallen a great deal in the last two years or so

How easy is it to create a multi screen video wall?

That way you can watch feetboll while Kath makes her own choice - or, on the occassions when you agree both watch in huge...

Question Two - and adding the life expectancy of the telly to your current age - When was your last eye test?
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    better blacks
    resolution
    higher refresh rate
    better quality picture
    size

Thanks. I guess TV isn't important enough for me. My $300 or so one works just fine.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

It'd be nice to get ten years out of one, half of that in the den, then move it to the bedroom or shop for the last half of its life. . .
    I have never personally owned or bought a TV, so i find that comment odd. What is on the TV that you need to watch it while in a workshop AND in the bedroom? Is this why your bathroom build is taking so long?

I was reading about that "The Wall" TV in post #27. The one displayed is a 146" model, but, being fully modular, you can add or delete panels to change its size, shape and layout. It uses microLEDs, which (somehow) generate their own power, and is supposed to be an amazingly high def picture. No word on price yet.

I don't have room for a bigger computer/video monitor, and that's all my TV is, so until it wears out I won't be shopping for a replacement. If I did have $2500 burning a hole in my pocket, though, I'd spend $600 or so on the screen and the rest on a new guitar. Probably a Godin Multiac Nylon SA.

What are you doing about it?

I'd spend it on something else entirely. Trip to Costa Rica? New tablesaw?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

You guys might be really surprised by this. I don't watch very much tv. Le Mans, Indy 500, a few other races per year; a half dozen or so Alabama Football Games; the Masters, US and British Opens; maybe one movie per week.

yeah i know, the one i want from costco is $3499.00. . .
    If it's about image quality, a 65" LG OLED or Samsung QLED. You can get one of those for under $1700. (LG 65C7 was our choice for a smaller room than yours). If you are willing to accept just a minor compromise in respect to black levels, go for this:

Sony 75"

Shop around. Prices change regularly and are different from. source to source. The Crutchfield link is provided only because it was a convenient way to show you the set to get. In a room of your size, everything else more or less equal, the bigger TV is going to be the preferred solution.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I've taken a long term, philosophical approach to tv size and quality. Each time we upgrade, it's only by a few inches. The idea being, we get to enjoy the sensation of an improved experience more times before we die. It's not the big screen, in other words, but the contrast from our previous experience that matters.

But, we're only up to 40" so far, and time is running out. Can't escape the feeling we're wasting our lives!

I struggle with stuff like this, because we all have our biases, and a big fancy teevee wouldn’t be high on my list.

But.

That doesn’t diminish it as an object, or an item of value. All our lives are wasted with frivolous pursuits. What, for example, could be sillier than sailing model boats?

I am not a big teevee because I’m antsy. I rarely even sit through a movie. But, I can understand the appeal of a big, fancy teevee as much as the appeal of a big, fancy stand mixer, or a big, fancy table saw.

As I said before, playing a video game on a big old teevee would be neat. Oldest Son has a game called Rocksmith. You plug your guitar (bass, mic, etc.) into the video game machine and compete by playing songs. It is hilarious fun, and would probably, ahem, rock on a big, big screen.

Peace,
    The Trooper

If you can't compromise on black levels, get this one.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X77....html?tp=60890
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I struggle with stuff like this, because we all have our biases, and a big fancy teevee wouldnít be high on my list.

But.

That doesnít diminish it as an object, or an item of value. All our lives are wasted with frivolous pursuits. What, for example, could be sillier than sailing model boats?

I am not a big teevee because Iím antsy. I rarely even sit through a movie. But, I can understand the appeal of a big, fancy teevee as much as the appeal of a big, fancy stand mixer, or a big, fancy table saw.

As I said before, playing a video game on a big old teevee would be neat. Oldest Son has a game called Rocksmith. You plug your guitar (bass, mic, etc.) into the video game machine and compete by playing songs. It is hilarious fun, and would probably, ahem, rock on a big, big screen.

Peace,
    The Trooper
    Some of the first person action sports games for the Wii would be a riot! Using that foot pad controller thingy. . . the Wii Fit. Other that those, I think that I would go straight to the First Person Shooter RPGs. Games like Fallout and Skyrim in particular, played on a PS4, with the motion controllers.

Nosce te ipsum

Now I'm all nostalgic for Skyrim - my favourite game of all time. I really hope TES VI comes along fairly soon.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Some of the first person action sports games for the Wii would be a riot! Using that foot pad controller thingy. . . the Wii Fit. Other that those, I think that I would go straight to the First Person Shooter RPGs. Games like Fallout and Skyrim in particular, played on a PS4, with the motion controllers.

We have the Xbox with the motion bar thing, and the wii series. Dancing around with the motion bar is fun. Zelda is a fun game to watch, and has many intriguing puzzles. I generally like the Nintendo titles, as they seem more about thinking and less about murder.

I simply cannot do the shoot face games. Thatís me.

Oldest Son is a very skilled gamer. He enjoys it very much, and is quite good. There is money to be made at it, too, which boggles my mind.

Peace,
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Now I'm all nostalgic for Skyrim - my favourite game of all time. I really hope TES VI comes along fairly soon.
    What is TES VI? Iím not all that hip.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    That makes two of us. Sadly, Bethesda is known for long interludes between releases. That, and I think the next Fallout is in the pipe before TES. Either or is a win win for me though.

I might even pop for the Playstation VR at some point in the future.
    Nosce te ipsum

My wife and I have mental price points for stuff we buy. I am down to $300 for a TV. The quality does not have to be too good, we both tend to do other things while the TV is on. I find the ROKU system is nice.
    Life is complex.

We have the Xbox with the motion bar thing, and the wii series. Dancing around with the motion bar is fun. Zelda is a fun game to watch, and has many intriguing puzzles. I generally like the Nintendo titles, as they seem more about thinking and less about murder.

I simply cannot do the shoot face games. That’s me.

Oldest Son is a very skilled gamer. He enjoys it very much, and is quite good. There is money to be made at it, too, which boggles my mind.

Peace,
    Mario
    I've played all of the Zelda games, they are great brain teasers.

When it comes to faces, I prefer the slaying of dragons and radioactive mutants to humans. Yeah, I know Fallout is full of human baddies too, but they are some bad hombres!

What is TES VI? I’m not all that hip.

Peace,
    Robert
    TES is The Elder Scrolls. Which is a video game franchise including Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind. Some of the best games ever written. They are know as "open world games," in that you can go anywhere, and do anything in the course of playing the game. If you don't want to shoot people in the face. . . You can be a farmer, or a blacksmith, or a merchant.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 01-13-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    Nosce te ipsum

better blacks
    resolution
    higher refresh rate
    better quality picture
    size

'Proletarian' large screen TV's can be had for $500-600, and are damn good, IMHO. $1000 ought to buy a pretty spectacular TV... so $1500 left over could be put to some other use. Presuming the use is entertainment or recreational, there are all sorts of things you could throw the excess money at.

I like good TV's, myself... my 55" Samsung 'Smart' TV (1080p) is pretty decent, to my eyes.... I think I paid around $700 for it, but that was maybe 4 years ago. Wandering in Costco, I've seen some spectacular 4K large screen TV's for just under $1000 or so.

Too bad that most nights, I struggle to find content worthy of the TV.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Biggest thing you can manage within these parameters. Given a choice between size and IQ, go for size. In a really big room like I think yours is, assuming movies and football were my likely program material, I might consider a projector. However, a TV is so much easier and frequently less expensive to implement for a given quality.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 01-13-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I've played all of the Zelda games, they are great brain teasers.

When it comes to faces, I prefer the slaying of dragons and radioactive mutants to humans. Yeah, I know Fallout is full of human baddies too, but they are some bad hombres!

TES is The Elder Scrolls. Which is a video game franchise including Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind. Some of the best games ever written. They are know as "open world games," in that you can go anywhere, and do anything in the course of playing the game. If you don't want to shoot people in the face. . . You can be a farmer, or a blacksmith, or a merchant.
    Oh, Ho! I enjoyed the Skyward Sword Zelda game, What with the waving of the sword/control and all.

Fallout, Destiny, and Borderlands Iím familiar with. Theyíre not as bad as some. The graphic-ness can get to me. Quadzilla is a HALO. I mean, heís a really serious HALO. Space monsters! Hehe.

Iíll have to ask after the TES business. Iím sure he knows about them. He is very into the making of games, too. He does art and programming stuff. He made my wife a video game for Motherís Day.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Full disclosure. They got Minecraft, and I scoffed at what a dumb thing it was. Minecraft is still the only video game, besides Tetris, to fully engage my mind for hours.
    I built a cool house. Still. I genuinely do get too antsy to sit for long.

Default If you had $2500 to spend on a new tv. . .

More and more, I watch TV on my MacBook, phone or tablet. Right now, I am watching a movie on my phone while sitting in the observers gallery while my girls are at their gymnastics class. Checking in here and my email as a break.

Yesterday, I watched the news at the kitchen counter with headphones on then took the tablet to my bedroom — another mix of entertainment, bill paying and business.

I will often sit with my kids in the den ( 40 inch screen) while they watch a kids flick and I view what I want on a device and using headphones.

A new big screen? Not for me.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just a point of reference: since one of my four computer monitors is showing signs of imminent death, i took a look in Amazon for a replacement. Amazingly, you can get a 32" monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution for around $250.. name brand, too: Samsung and LG, among others.

Surely, for those who watch TV on their computer, it's gotta be a phenomenal deal. OK, it's not a substitute for a big screen TV in a den or living room... but we don't always watch in that kind of setting.

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-C32...p_89%3ASamsung
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Biggest thing you can manage within these parameters. Given a choice between size and IQ, go for size. In a really big room like I think yours is, assuming movies and football were my likely program material, I might consider a projector. However, a TV is so much easier and frequently less expensive to implement for a given quality.
    We sit sixteen feet from the screen. I'd like to put in a projector and screen but can't swing the cost of the one I want. And I definitely want a screen that stores away when not in use. Plus we'd also have to new window treatment to darken the room when the projector is in use.

We sit sixteen feet from the screen. I'd like to put in a projector and screen but can't swing the cost of the one I want. And I definitely want a screen that stores away when not in use. Plus we'd also have to new window treatment to darken the room when the projector is in use.
    I wouldn't consider a projection TV. Aside from the requirement for a dark room (which, even if you have such a room, means limited black quality), those things have limited lifespan illumination bulbs, which are VERY expensive to replace.
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I wouldn't consider a projection TV. Aside from the requirement for a dark room (which, even if you have such a room, means limited black quality), those things have limited lifespan illumination bulbs, which are VERY expensive to replace.
    Laser projectors offer a solution to bulb life, but you're right that there is no way around a projector's other disadvantages. I opted for a 75" Sony LED TV in my rig after mulling over the challenges of using a projector day to day coupled with their lack of suitability for casual viewing. In a dedicated viewing room a projector and a good screen are hard to beat for impact.

So what size are you looking for.

TCL 55" Ultra HD run about $400.
    Life is complex.