Thread: Meanwhile 2,400 years ago in Scotland...

Default Meanwhile 2,400 years ago in Scotland...

https://www.archaeology.org/news/627...and-comar-wood

Sometimes think it would have been fun to live like that, aside from the constant hardship and pain.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Default Re: Meanwhile 2,400 years ago in Scotland...

2400 years ago in Scotland...... Didn't the people paint themselves blue?

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

The Scots sure were a happy lot back then. Ya know, before all that business with the Brits and all that.
    Last edited by JimD; 01-12-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

And the invention of broken beer glasses. That was tragic.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    And the invention of broken beer glasses. That was tragic.
    They tried moving to paper cups but that just resulted in a rash of paper cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Sometimes think it would have been fun to live like that, aside from the constant hardship and pain.
    Dont forget the starvation and disease. That would have been good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    Looks more like Comar Stump Field.
    Must of been beautiful about six months ago.
    it is a stretch to see that this

became that.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Skimped on the steel work in the footings I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Dont forget the starvation and disease..
    I lumped that in with hardship and pain I think what really piques my curiosty is what would fill our minds if they weren't full of everything we've learned and invented in the last few millennia?
    Last edited by JimD; 01-12-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Finding your next meal.

Finding your next meal.
    That would be a big part of it. And significantly different from how most of us live now. Rarely have I ever been preoccupied with how I was going to get my next meal and the life and death consequences of finding it or not. But these people also made art. So there had to be more. I'm going to stipulate that procreation was somewhere in the mix, too. But beyond that. Religion. The Cosmos. Death. A significantly different head space than we tend to have now. I'm looking forward to camping season.
    Last edited by JimD; 01-12-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Finding your next meal.
    People who could build these for their chief were pretty sophisticated and had the surpluses needed to give them the time to organise the construction.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    I'm guessing the climate was a bit more comfortable for them than today. Of course, I could be all washed up.

Regardless, I doubt the average age was much longer than 36. But then again, I could be wrong.
    50% of people are below average in intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Marching through heather in a kilt will do that every time

I know a couple of archaeology students who worked on this dig. Here's the full report on the survey.
    http://her.highland.gov.uk/hbsmrgate...les/285981.pdf

A bit closer to where I live is Tap O' Noth which is an iron age hillfort. I have climbed up there several times over the years. It is notable for the melted and fused (vitrified) stonework still clearly visible there.
    http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=6195

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_o%27_Noth
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrified_fort
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Nick,
    What's that round house in your image? I'm trying to figure out what those spaces around the perimeter between the walls is for. At first I thought a spiralling way to get up to the top but not with those narrow small spaces at the top. There's a guy in the one on the bottom right but what's he doing? And an animal in the lower right. It looks like maybe they're drying/smoking meat hung above the fire pit? The heat generated by the animals down low would come in handy. Looks like a well thought out design but I can't figure out those passages around the space in the walls. Insulation value?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Nick,
    What's that round house in your image? I'm trying to figure out what those spaces around the perimeter between the walls is for. At first I thought a spiralling way to get up to the top but not with those narrow small spaces at the top. There's a guy in the one on the bottom right but what's he doing? And an animal in the lower right. It looks like maybe they're drying/smoking meat hung above the fire pit? The heat generated by the animals down low would come in handy. Looks like a well thought out design but I can't figure out those passages around the space in the walls. Insulation value?
    It is a Broch, these will answer some of your questions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broch and http://www.brochs.co.uk/viewpage.php?page_id=1

According to Isla's report the link in the OP misidentifies the structure as a broch, when it is in fact a roundhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    Until the Vikings showed up. Then the murders began. Gotta love those Norwegians.
    According to the history I've read at times parts of what is now Scotland was more Viking that Scot. People who live in Glasgow are still referred to as Glaswegians and the local dialect as Glaswegian.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    People who could build these for their chief were pretty sophisticated and had the surpluses needed to give them the time to organise the construction.
    That's important to remember. We see a primitive structure and we forget that it could not be built by a society that struggled to provide the basic needs of society. I wonder if there is a lesson in that for us?