Thread: Ambassador to Panama

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Ambassador to Panama

Says, I quit, I don't need to eat Trump's pablum anymore or to words to that effect!!

Default Re: Ambassador to Panama

A career diplomat.

Well done, that man.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

News at such a frenetic pace that each event routinely generates multiple threads on a general discussion subsection of an obscure and iconoclastic internet forum.
    Steve Martinsen

American ambassadors to Central American countries often find themselves embroiled in the worst kind of sleaze. If he can't stomach Trump then Panama is probably not a good fit either.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    American ambassadors to Central American countries often find themselves embroiled in the worst kind of sleaze. If he can't stomach Trump then Panama is probably not a good fit either.
    Why should an Ambassador have to stomach Trump?Is that in his job description?

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Why should an Ambassador have to stomach Trump?Is that in his job description?
    Easy enough to google his job description if you like, Jamie. He was appointed, and it is his job to directly report to and provide support to the president regarding all matters Panamanian. Whether that requires stomaching his boss is debatable, I suppose. But that wasn't my point. My point is that enduring the president's personal sleaze is a good litmus test for a diplomatic posting in a part of the world the USA is deeply involved in controlling and manipulating at any cost and by any means. Generally speaking, to the American government Panama is not a nation of people, it is a canal. And I'm fairly certain that to Trump, it is a S**thole with a canal, to be treated accordingly.
    Last edited by JimD; 01-13-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Easy enough to google his job description if you like, Jamie. He was appointed, and it is his job to directly report to and provide support to the president regarding all matters Panamanian. Whether that requires stomaching his boss is debatable, I suppose. But that wasn't my point. My point is that enduring the president's personal sleaze is a good litmus test for a diplomatic posting in a part of the world the USA is deeply involved in controlling and manipulating at any cost and by any means.
    Well, he's not one of Trump's loyal henchman, he's working for a narcissistic, self involve, petty, insecure idiot and has the gronicles to say enough. That's not in the job description to cater to a boy like Trump.

Well, he's not one of Trump's loyal henchman, he's working for a narcissistic, self involve, petty, insecure idiot and has the gronicles to say enough. That's not in the job description to cater to a boy like Trump.
    It's in a diplomat's job description to cater to his boss. Professional diplomats can go through several presidencies, some worse than others and almost none of them good in regards to Central America. Many presidents and ambassadors have been directly involved in various plotting, murderous schemes to subvert popular nationalist, labour, social reform or other movements. Most of the grimy and cruel history of US involvement in the region required the participation of and orchestration by, American diplomats. That's life for an ambassador in Central America.
    Last edited by JimD; 01-13-2018 at 12:34 PM.

I think he's being completely professional by quitting! You can say what you want, you can give Trump a kiss, you may want an Ambassador to give Trump a kiss because that's his job. He decided no job was worth the humility.

It's in a diplomat's job description to cater to his boss. Professional diplomats can go through several presidencies, some worse than others and almost none of them good in regards to Central America. Many presidents and ambassadors have been directly involved in various plotting, murderous schemes to subvert popular nationalist, labour, social reform or other movements. Most of the grimy and cruel history of US involvement in the region required the participation of and orchestration by, American diplomats. That's life for an ambassador in Central America.
    Jim, would you put up with an aerosol of a boss that you could not respect? Or would you move on?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Look at Tillerson who called Trump a moron or was it idiot! Now, he's one his knees kissing Trump's robe and trying to clean up Trump's messes. I'd speak my mind and stick to it, you can't clean up his messes as he changes his mind not only daily but, by the hour. No one needs that kind of leader as a boss.

I think he's being completely professional by quitting! You can say what you want, you can give Trump a kiss, you may want an Ambassador to give Trump a kiss because that's his job. He decided no job was worth the humility.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Jim, would you put up with an aerosol of a boss that you could not respect? Or would you move on?
    If I was committed to a career in the diplomatic core I would hopefully go in with eyes open. You really have to drink the koolaid to do that sort of work. Most American presidents have treated Latin America as if they considered it be a s**thole whether or not they verbalized those thoughts or not. By way of longstanding policy many of them were instrumental in doing their best to turn the region into a s**thole for reasons of profit and power. In the post war era presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, Reagan, Bush One all were deeply involved in creating regional s**tholes of misery and injustice. I should think less of Trump because he actually used the word? I don't. With Trump it's just easier to see what he actually is and thinks of much of the rest of the world.

Edited to add: PM, To answer your question directly, I have worked for bosses I couldn't stand but did not remain in the positions for long. I moved on.
    Last edited by JimD; 01-13-2018 at 01:31 PM.

I think he's being completely professional by quitting!
    I agree.

Just think of all the Ambassadors going in front of those leaders of those s***h*** counties and having to grovel in front of them and say; "Trump didn't mean it, he didn't mean it, he meant blah blah blah. Humiliating!

Just think of all the Ambassadors going in front of those leaders of those s***h*** counties and having to grovel in front of them and say; "Trump didn't mean it, he didn't mean it, he meant blah blah blah. Humiliating!
    It would be a difficult position to be in. It would be so obviously a lie. A moment of personal reckoning as to what sort of person one was, was willing to become, or wanted to be going forward... Just ask Colin Powell.
    Last edited by JimD; 01-13-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Ambassadors sign an oath to serve the country and be apolitical, no matter who is in charge. That means they occasionally have to represent people or policies they don't necessarily personally agree with. If the disconnect becomes too great, the only honorable thing to do is resign, which is what he did.

Kudos to him.

Meanwhile, this is yet another example of the gutting of the State Dep't of experienced hands. Woe American diplomacy in the aftermath! Does our current president or Tillerson care? Not a whit.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

If I was committed to a career in the diplomatic core I would hopefully go in with eyes open. You really have to drink the koolaid to do that sort of work. Most American presidents have treated Latin America as if they considered it be a s**thole whether or not they verbalized those thoughts or not. By way of longstanding policy many of them were instrumental in doing their best to turn the region into a s**thole for reasons of profit and power. In the post war era presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, Reagan, Bush One all were deeply involved in creating regional s**tholes of misery and injustice. I should think less of Trump because he actually used the word? I don't. With Trump it's just easier to see what he actually is and thinks of much of the rest of the world.

Edited to add: PM, To answer your question directly, I have worked for bosses I couldn't stand but did not remain in the positions for long. I moved on.
    There is a dichotomy here.
    In the past the US has considered South America as its back yard to be screwed over as the POTUS and big business thought fit, but at least POTUS was competent and presidential.
    Now you have POTUS who is neither presidential nor competent and unaware or uncaring of the opinion the rest of the world is forming of the U S of A.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There is a dichotomy here.
    In the past the US has considered South America as its back yard to be screwed over as the POTUS and big business thought fit, but at least POTUS was competent and presidential.
    Now you have POTUS who is neither presidential nor competent and unaware or uncaring of the opinion the rest of the world is forming of the U S of A.
    Taking the long view, what is likely to happen is that one day Trump will be gone, America will install a president who knows how to behave himself in public, and the nation will consider itself to have reclaimed a fictitious moral high ground it never had much claim to in the first place. All will be well again, that is, back to screwing the back yard while acting 'presidential' about it.

I haven’t read into this since yesterday but what I read is that he had submitted his resignation before Trumps latest gaff. Maybe it’s just a coincidence, maybe he got wind of some Trump laundering scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I haven’t read into this since yesterday but what I read is that he had submitted his resignation before Trumps latest gaff. Maybe it’s just a coincidence, maybe he got wind of some Trump laundering scheme.
    From what I've read, Feeley's resume has a long list of assignments and involvement in Latin America and he is fluent in Spanish, so it doesn't look like the ambassadorship to Panama opened any shocking new doors to him in terms of what makes the world go round. I'm guessing it was something about Trump.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

" 'As a junior foreign service officer, I signed an oath to serve faithfully the president and his administration in an apolitical fashion, even when I might not agree with certain policies,' Feeley said, according to an excerpt of a resignation letter read to Reuters on Friday.

" 'My instructors made clear that if I believed I could not do that, I would be honor bound to resign. That time has come.' "