Thread: Is "trump" now and forever synonymous with "Republican"?

Default Is "trump" now and forever synonymous with "Republican"?

Are there any thoughtful considerate members of the Republican party currently sitting in Congress?
    Even one?
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Default Re: Is "trump" now and forever synonymous with "Republican"?

Many have given up... recognizing that Trump's domination of the party means that they either have to prostitute themselves and their own beliefs, in order to stay in office.... or simply resign or decide not to run again.

It's going to be impossible to remain a Republican and NOT fall in line with the putative party leader... and that is, for some, at least, an impossible situation.

A whopping 31 House Republicans will not be seeking re-election in November, NPR reports, including Rep. Darrell Issa (Calif.), who announced his impending retirement from Congress on Wednesday. The 2018 GOP exodus is a new record: The last time there was such a massive departure from Congress was when 28 Democrats left in 1994, and Republicans subsequently seized control.

Most significantly, Republicans in states won by Hillary Clinton are leaving in droves. "Vulnerable House Republicans would clearly rather call it quits than stand for re-election with a deeply unpopular agenda hanging over their heads," Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spokesman Tyler Law told NPR.

Twelve of the Republicans who will not be running for another term in 2018 will remain in politics, including Rep. Steve Pearce (N.M), who is running for governor.

Democrats would need to flip 24 seats to take back the House, with the Senate being more of a long shot; in the upper chamber, Democrats have to defend 25 seats and pick up an additional three in order to take back the majority. A Washington Post/ABC News poll from November found that hypothetical Democratic candidates are favored by voters against their Republican counterparts 51 percent to 40 percent. Jeva Lange
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

'Forever' is a long time. I think over the medium to long term, though, (barring disasters) either the Republican party will repudiate Trump and what he stands for, or disappear as a major party.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Trump will be an anchor around the necks of the GOP for many election cycles to come, but he will eventually be flushed from the bilges of the GOP. Hopefully the stench in the bilge that is Trump will be replaced by moral people.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Trump will be an anchor around the necks of the GOP for many election cycles to come, but he will eventually be flushed from the bilges of the GOP. Hopefully the stench in the bilge that is Trump will be replaced by moral people.
    They grabbed hold of the anchor. He may have nominated unqualified people, but the GOP senators confirmed them. Trump didn't pass the tax bill by himself. They are lying to protect him. They have chosen to represent Trump rather than their voters.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

In a joint statement, Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and David Perdue (R-Ga.) — two of Trump’s biggest allies on Capitol Hill — said, “We do not recall the president saying these comments specficailly but what he did call out was the imbalance in our current immigration system, which does not protect American workers and our national interest.”

One meeting participant who has been quiet so far is Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), who on Thursday before publication of the news of Trump’s remarks refused to comment on what was said.“No! I gotta go,” he told a Post reporter as he left his Capitol Hill office and jumped into an SUV that sped away.

-----------------------------------------------

I watched Graham on Meet the Press this weekend. His contortions are impressive!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    In a joint statement, Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and David Perdue (R-Ga.) — two of Trump’s biggest allies on Capitol Hill — said, “We do not recall the president saying these comments specficailly but what he did call out was the imbalance in our current immigration system, which does not protect American workers and our national interest.”

One meeting participant who has been quiet so far is Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), who on Thursday before publication of the news of Trump’s remarks refused to comment on what was said.“No! I gotta go,” he told a Post reporter as he left his Capitol Hill office and jumped into an SUV that sped away.

-----------------------------------------------

I watched Graham on Meet the Press this weekend. His contortions are impressive!
    Those who "cannot recall" are afraid to burn the coat-tails they're riding on.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I dearly hope not. Our system is not well served by either party collapsing.

I dearly hope that a great number of people stand up and declare "I'm a Republican, and Trump is not!", or even "I'm a Conservative and Trump is not!"
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    or disappear as a major party.
    laughable
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

He will likely die before too many election cycles. After which, the GOP will revere his memory. Put him on a pedestal next to Ronald Reagan.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Well, we still remember Nixon, Reagan, and Bush, and Trump is even worse. I think he's going to be associated with the Repugnicans for a very long time indeed.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson
    'Forever' is a long time.... either the Republican party will repudiate Trump and what he stands for, or disappear as a major party.
    For some time I have been predicting the splintering of the GOP.

The Trumpist, deplorable, right-wingnuts will continue to call themselves "Republicans."

Those who the above call "RINOS" will form a responsible moderate/conservative third party with some other name.

In the meantime the Democratic Party will have an historic opportunity to form American domestic and foreign policy. Let us hope they do not blow it.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 01-12-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you have heard this bull before.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Well, we still remember Nixon, Reagan, and Bush, and Trump is even worse. I think he's going to be associated with the Repugnicans for a very long time indeed.
    Walmart employs 1% of all American Citizens... wonder if Walmart employees will associate Trumpy with "Republican"...?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post

In the meantime the Democratic Party will have an historic opportunity to form American domestic and foreign policy. Let us hope they do not blow it.
    done, and DONE!

^
    Yer a hoot!

Do you plan to stick around after November 2018?

Deja Moo: The feeling that you have heard this bull before.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Walmart employs 1% of all American Citizens... wonder if Walmart employees will associate Trumpy with "Republican"...?
    Considering Sams Club just lost a slew of it's employees, I suspect they will.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Considering Sams Club just lost a slew of it's employees, I suspect they will.
    Walmart employees losing their jobs...

hey I guess "what ever helps you liberals sleep at night" right...?

because we all know Democrats/Liberals were troubled by the 10% raise that millions of voting Americans recieved, thanks to Trumpy and the tax cuts

They will be tied to him as long as he continues to influence the party. His influence may well end when he's out of office. Look at how quickly they recovered from Nixon. Granted, they repudiated him at the time, but when they were trying to get payback by pursuing Clinton, they increased their power.

Walmart employees losing their jobs...

hey I guess "what ever helps you liberals sleep at night" right...?

because we all know Democrats/Liberals were troubled by the 10% raise that millions of voting Americans recieved, thanks to Trumpy and the tax cuts
    You're the one who sleeps well at night because you don't care about those who lost their jobs Noisey as long as you aren't one of them. The c10% raise is it? You've got proof of that? Somehow I doubt you do. You're not good on facts as most of you Trump supporters aren't in general.

It's funny but, not unexpected, ask Noisey for proof to support his allegations on his post and all one hears are crickets. That's the problem with Trump supporters, the spew BS and when confronted scurries into the hills. Works every time.

It's funny but, not unexpected, ask Noisey for proof to support his allegations on his post and all one hears are crickets. That's the problem with Trump supporters, the spew BS and when confronted scurries into the hills. Works every time.
    Just paroting what NPR said... 10-11$ an hour... still way too low.

Walmart employs 1% of all American Citizens

Wow, you are not good at math.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Wow, you are not good at math.
    Are you surprised?

Just paroting what NPR said... 10-11$ an hour... still way too low.
    That's a 10% raise, really? You really are hopeless Noisey!

That's a 10% raise, really? You really are hopeless Noisey!
    ... wow, that's a Liberals take away from this conversation... a victory! for the Democrats... quibbling over fractions of a percent...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    For some time I have been predicting the splintering of the GOP.

The Trumpist, deplorable, right-wingnuts will continue to call themselves "Republicans."

Those who the above call "RINOS" will form a responsible moderate/conservative third party with some other name.

The democrats have nothing to counter trumps winning on domestic and foreign policy..

This is why the all out character attack..

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

The democrats have nothing to counter trumps winning on domestic and foreign policy..

they have their fastidious Math skills... soooooo that's something.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

Yea right! And Trump calls all African countries, El Salvatore and Haiti Sh**h***s! What a 5 yr old Trump is, stupid, which you can easily identify with!

Yea right! And Trump calls all African countries, EWlSalvare and Haiti Sh******s!
    says who?

says who?
    Trump who denies it of course, a few Dem Senators, Sen. Lindsey Graham (remember, he's a Republican) all confirm he did say just that.Keep ignoring the facts like you usually do.

Oh so the people who have been attacking him endlessly say he said a naughty word.... UH OH!

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

wow... well it's disturbing to encounter a Racist, but one as blatant as Ms Dweck... shocking

wow... well it's disturbing to encounter a Racist, but one as blatant as Ms Dweck... shocking
    Curious assertion. Please explain what was racist about Ms Dweck's statement. You might want to look up the definition of racism before you begin. You can find definitions in a book called a dictionary. You probably don't own one, but they are available online.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    They will be tied to him as long as he continues to influence the party. His influence may well end when he's out of office. Look at how quickly they recovered from Nixon. Granted, they repudiated him at the time, but when they were trying to get payback by pursuing Clinton, they increased their power.
    Look how quickly they recovered from the Chimp. Will there be a payback half to that story too? Payback for what?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?